Have you "heard" from God?

First Peter 1:3-9

Simply, When i hear of what others have been through, what also some loved ones have been through and some so young and those in other countries and those persecuted...simply their faith amazes me especially those who suffer so young at the hands of others especially among those who call themselves the " church" where people are supposed to be protected from evil. So that faith even is amazing and a reminder that our only hope at all is in Jesus Christ. One day he will wipe every tear! No more suffering no more tears! My heart aches for those that have endured such and for those as with a few loved ones I wish I could take that pain away because it is real... and i wish i could make that better or take that away but only Jesus can do that.

greg64

What a great thread -- very encouraging!!!

I've had feelings before, but never a voice I could say for sure was God. But sometimes "councidences" happen. I read a lot of this thread and then had to go out to the store. Was thinking about it and my relationship with family and guess who calls right then? My Dad, who rarely calls me. Nice!

I do have a friend who heard a voice, though. It was 2006 and he was praying really hard about the election, the US, etc. and asked God for Trump to win. He heard an audible "ok" during one of those prayers.

billy swinea

WAITING ON JESUS
What a great thread -- very encouraging!!!

I've had feelings before, but never a voice I could say for sure was God. But sometimes "councidences" happen. I read a lot of this thread and then had to go out to the store. Was thinking about it and my relationship with family and guess who calls right then? My Dad, who rarely calls me. Nice!

I do have a friend who heard a voice, though. It was 2006 and he was praying really hard about the election, the US, etc. and asked God for Trump to win. He heard an audible "ok" during one of those prayers.
MY MOM HAS SEEN THE ANGLE OF DEATH. SHE SAYS THAT SHE WOKE UP IN THE NIGHT AND SAW A DARK BEING IN HER ROOM. THE NEXT DAY MY GRAND MA DIED OF A HEART ATTACH. THIS IS NOT THE RIGHT PLACE FOR THIS. BBB.

Batfan7

My sister had a very rough divorce and for years afterwards an antagonistic relationship with that ex (he was abusive), with court battles all the time over every little thing with the kids. At last I prayed fervently that he'd "just go away" and on the second day of dating for this, I heard a quiet voice say, "I'll take care of it." The next week he moved to another state and hasn't been heard from since.

I also, in college, and a baby Christian. I didn't hear from God, but this was definitely a God-thing. I was super frustrated over some homework. Like, the stress was making me want to scream or break something. I turned to God and, in frustration said, "Even you can't do anything about this!" And instantly I felt at peace. I was dumbfounded. I kept "poking" at my emotional state, but it was a total reversal and so bizzare! Didn't make my homework suddenly easier or anything, but it was a lesson to me that God hears and cares about the little, stupid things in life and just because He doesn't usually step in on those issues doesn't meant He *can't*.

My room mate in college claimed God told her a joke once. A very cheesy joke. She thought it was hilarious. Since it didn't happy to me, I can't verify how true it was, but honestly, it strikes me as something God would do (He is the author of humor, after all).

Walk Softly

Thank you for sharing. Yes, many certainly do not care to teach you these truths at all. We have to have our best life now or some such nonsense. Giant eye-roll here. You're right, God bless the dear martyrs and the persecuted in Christ. May they live forever!
I found that by constantly reading my Bible, I could listen to sermons and have a very good feel for whether they were sound or not. I did a lot over the years just watching a small selection of good preachers on TV and reading books. I was a Christian for 5 years before I got a computer, and since then I had a lot of really great help with some very tough questions and issues. I would have liked to make friends in person, and I miss the strong presence of the Holy Spirit I used to sense in some churches, but I never needed church to grow in the Lord. He is alive and well, and often works as much in spite of church as because of it.

Eric Nicholas

I found that by constantly reading my Bible, I could listen to sermons and have a very good feel for whether they were sound or not. I did a lot over the years just watching a small selection of good preachers on TV and reading books. I was a Christian for 5 years before I got a computer, and since then I had a lot of really great help with some very tough questions and issues. I would have liked to make friends in person, and I miss the strong presence of the Holy Spirit I used to sense in some churches, but I never needed church to grow in the Lord. He is alive and well, and often works as much in spite of church as because of it.
As always, thank you for sharing snippets of your life with me. I really appreciate that. I agree with what you said as well. :hug

Pat

God has spoken audibly throughout the ages. To Adam, Noah, Moses, the Prophets, then for 33 1/2 years through Jesus. Since the time He spoke to Saul on the road to Damascus, and teaching him for a time after that, He has spoken to His people less audibly and mostly through the written word via the Holy Spirit to our spirits. That is not to say that He can't or won't speak audibly at times but never contrary to the written Word nor adding to it. Hebrews 11 tells us that without faith it is impossible to please Him, so we should be satisfied "hearing" from Him in our spirits by faith rather than "hearing" from Him in our ears by "sight" (2Cor. 5:7 For we walk by faith, not by sight. In 45 years as a Christian, I have only once heard Him audibly. I was praying for direction about going on the mission field when He said "Behold, I have set before thee an open door and no man can shut it" and I immediately knew the address of that scripture, Rev 3:8. That happened 39 years ago. I ended up on the mission field with my family and was given many sustaining promises from the Lord, but none audibly after that. The next words from God that I now want to hear are "Well done thou good and faithful servant." I believe our redemption draweth nigh and I hope to hear those words then. Maranatha brethren!

Last edited:

Walk Softly

It angers me that they did not take you seriously. So much for Christ-like emulation, eh? I do not know the nature of your disability, but I will pray for that, nonetheless.

It really moves me that I have been on your heart so and I thank you for your prayers and well wishes on my behalf. Thank you, again, and I love you!
Thanks Eric. It used to anger me too, but the longer I have been a Christian, the more tolerant of human failures I become -- to a reasonable point. Like I've come to realize that pastors are expected to have all the answers. That couldn't be fair! We can only give what we have... I have also learned that even Christians who consider themselves mature (I have been at this for 17 years now, long enough to have some real experience), can get into some heavy times and maybe not look real good at times. We expect so much of ourselves and each other sometimes. I mean, we should expect something of ourselves and each other, but Americans don't really take the time to get to know each other any more. It's really sad and causes a lot of social mistakes!

As to my disability, I have pretty bad degenerative disc in my back. This seems to make my right hip hurt for some reason, and I have arthritis in the left hip. My lower back is stiff most days. My fear is that both hips will eventually refuse to bear weight any more and I won't be able to walk. I thank the Lord deeply my hands are still good, or I'd go nuts with boredom!!

I'm glad I could help you feel better. We all really need folks who care. :hug

Eric Nicholas

Thanks Eric. It used to anger me too, but the longer I have been a Christian, the more tolerant of human failures I become -- to a reasonable point. Like I've come to realize that pastors are expected to have all the answers. That couldn't be fair! We can only give what we have... I have also learned that even Christians who consider themselves mature (I have been at this for 17 years now, long enough to have some real experience), can get into some heavy times and maybe not look real good at times. We expect so much of ourselves and each other sometimes. I mean, we should expect something of ourselves and each other, but Americans don't really take the time to get to know each other any more. It's really sad and causes a lot of social mistakes!

As to my disability, I have pretty bad degenerative disc in my back. This seems to make my right hip hurt for some reason, and I have arthritis in the left hip. My lower back is stiff most days. My fear is that both hips will eventually refuse to bear weight any more and I won't be able to walk. I thank the Lord deeply my hands are still good, or I'd go nuts with boredom!!

I'm glad I could help you feel better. We all really need folks who care. :hug
In any case, I'll be praying for the full healing of your body and at the very lease some remission of your symptoms. You are right about what you wrote. I find myself in agreement with you a lot. Great minds and all, eh? :heh

This is silly, but when I was a brand new baby Christian, I was still addicted to playing the lottery- I'd buy 1 ticket a week, but I'd obsess over "if I win". One day I bought the ticket with my late father's numbers, and as I was in my house alone I heard in my head- and my voice- "tear it up". I don't think I was even thinking about the ticket either lol. I heard it 2 or 3x more after that....and I know it wasn't me because I wanted to win lol. I tore it up and felt instant peace...I think I've played once more after that but ended up tearing it up too. Playing lottery was a huge conviction for me as I was obsessing and not trusting God to provide and it's been forever since I've played.

I do have tons of "God winks" where there is no other explanation but God, even just this morning as I posted 2 Scripture on an app regarding taming your tongue from bad words- on Saturdays the boss is gone and the secular employees' mouths blurt out His name in vain quite often, so I usually wake up Saturdays on defense and just anticipating this. Well my friend who also uses this app messaged me tonight with a huge thank you for posting those as she is battling taming her tongue and just got done with reading James (I think) to help her with it. Little things like that happen quite a bit :)

Mary Cole

And what did he say?
I believe I've heard from him twice.
Yes, I have, audibly, only once. His voice was deep, loud and echoed as if spoken through a microphone. I was in my backyard, as a child of about 10 years old. It was dark outside, and I was catching fireflies. The voice I heard called out my name. I looked around, startled, and when I saw no one, I hid behind a tree. Then He called my name a second time. This time, I stepped away from the tree and proclaimed "Here I am". That was all. I never heard Him audibly again after that, but I became more aware of God, and spiritual things.

Accepted

There have been five times in my life I believe I have directly heard from the Lord. This in no way reflects His speaking to me through His Word, or in answers to prayer, which are countless. Each of those five times, it was not an audible voice, but unmistakable, clear words in my mind that were not my own thoughts.

I’ll try to explain one. My oldest son, who was not yet saved at the time, was a college student. He took his education and future career very seriously, and typically had a 4.0 grade point average. Well, one semester some events occurred, and for the first time he got way behind in his classes. He decided he needed to withdraw from the semester, in time so that it did not affect his GPA.

Turned out he had the withdrawal date off by one day. When he went in to his academic counselor, he was told he was one day late, so he couldn’t withdraw, and his GPA would reflect F’s in every class.

I can’t describe how distraught he was! He felt his whole future was destroyed. He was not walking with God then (he is now), and was hopeless.

After talking with him, I also was distraught! I went immediately before the Lord in prayer. I heard in my mind, clear as a bell, “Call John Doe.” (not the real name). It was so clear! I thought, who is John Doe? Then, I remember hearing the name once, and he was an academic counselor at the college (but not the one assigned to my son).

Then, I thought about how it’s an unwritten rule that parents do not call teachers/counselors on their kids’ behalf when they are college students. BUT, the Lord said to!

So I looked him up, called, and explained the situation. He looked up my son’s record, and said, “We do not want to discourage students of this caliber. I will withdraw him from all classes this semester!” And it was done.

My son couldn’t believe it! I gave God all the glory, but that really didn’t sink in until several years later, when he was gloriously born again. Now he knows that the Lord was caring for him all along!

P.S. I met “John Doe” a few years later, as he and his wife visited our church! I was not surprised to learn he was a believer, & I told him how he had blessed my family!

Last edited: