Hair color?

Discussion in 'For the Ladies' started by RobinB, Mar 17, 2019.

1. RobinB

RobinB Well-Known Member

I have colored my hair since a teenager, and would really like to let it grow out now. However, I have a few sprigs of grey around my face. That wouldn't bother me but now that I am in a high level job, all my team mates still color. It's like peer pressure. I don't want to be passed over for possible promotions or projects because I'm greying.

Who here colors?? Anyone quit? :gtongue

Bron, caligal, Kem and 5 others like this.
  2. ShilohRose

ShilohRose Well-Known Member

I colored my hair for about 24 years, and I had to quit because I developed an allergy to hair dye. I ended up cutting my long hair to just below my ears to get rid of the last of the two tone look. It's down below my shoulders now, but I sure felt like a shorn sheep for awhile. If I didn't have skin problems with hair dye, I would still be coloring my hair. Deep down inside, I'm really a redhead, not a brunette. lol

Bron, caligal, Judy4Jesus and 6 others like this.
  3. Kaatje

Kaatje Well-Known Member

Maybe you could try highlights?
    It gives the hair a nice, healthy shine,
    but isn’t as massive as a total hair color,
    and the outgrows are less appearant.

I did that for years, but now I like my grey hairs.
    My hair looks a bit “highlighted”, but without any cost!

Bron, caligal, Judy4Jesus and 6 others like this.
  4. ItsNotAboutTheDonkey

ItsNotAboutTheDonkey Well-Known Member

I used to have my hair colored - a process called carmelization, which used 3 colors plus my natural color and my gray. It was amazing and looked very natural. Also cost $$$$. Then I was widowed and men ten years younger than me asked me out. Yikes! I could not convince them I was O-L-D. So after 20 years of coloring, I let my hair grow out. And WOW! I have incredible silvery gray highlights to die for (sounds like Kaatje!). So, do what works for you and makes you feel good and doesn't give you financial guilt...

Bron, caligal, Judy4Jesus and 7 others like this.
  5. Lynn

Lynn Well-Known Member

After a few years of 'going gray' I decided that I was sort of the odd one, as just about every woman within five years of my age were coloring their hair. Later on, I decided to have it colored again, this time with blond highlights over a soft, natural looking auburn. My husband loves it, especially the blond highlights. So, I do it mainly to please him, :hugand maybe a little bit to please me, too.

Bron, caligal, Judy4Jesus and 4 others like this.
  6. RobinB

RobinB Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the input. Not sure which way I'll go yet.

Bron, caligal, Judy4Jesus and 3 others like this.
  7. Teresa66

Teresa66 Well-Known Member

I color my hair and have no intention of quitting anytime soon. It's a very personal choice for sure but I think you might be smart to continue coloring considering your job and the possibility of promotions. It's super unfortunate that we ladies get judged by our looks but we do. :rolleyes

Bron, Cindy S., Romans10:9 and 6 others like this.
  8. athenasius

athenasius Well-Known Member

Neat thread. I colour my hair, I used to diy it but the fatigue got bad enough that G and I decided it's worth it for us to get my very inexpensive hair lady to do it in her basement salon every 2 months. The colour is what you see in my avatar. It's a light brown with my natural reddish tones that kind of come out as soon as my hair is dyed. My natural right now is almost black with lots of grey sprinkles. Not particularly attractive on me, it makes me look kind of sick. I was a nice redhead till my late 40s and then it darkened. The grey started around 55, and I'm 62 now.

If I ever go back to diy'ing I'll just pick up a box of L'Oreal Preference #65 Light Amber Brown which was what I used to use and go to town with it. I like something my hair dresser does adding highlights so I was looking at the L'Oreal Touch On Highlights as an easier option than trying to do foils which she uses. I think about it once in a while, when my energy improves and I have this notion that I could still do these things.

But I used to cut my own hair too, :hehee

Thankfully I found Leah and her basement salon. 16 years ago. And she's been colouring it for me for 10 years possibly 11.

It makes me feel better, I think my skin looks healthier and that helps when I'm dealing with chronic ickyness.

Bron, Lynn, Romans10:9 and 5 others like this.
  9. Judy4Jesus

Judy4Jesus Well-Known Member

I have been coloring my hair since about 16 (just highlights at first) and full color around 19...I'm 55 now. My kids grew up (35, 34 and 24) knowing all they had to do to find mom out in a crowd was to look for the big blonde hair and could usually spot me pretty quickly, lol! The 80's was probably a bit more challenging in that strategy tho! Haha. I have super long thick hair and have "dirty blonde" naturally. I asked my almost 10 year old granddaughter if I should finally cut my hair at my age. She responded, "I wouldn't risk it, Grandma!" Hehe. I will one way or another (grave or rapture) go to Jesus with long blonde hair! I dont color my eyebrows as they aren't real dark and have plucked out many white/grays so I know I have some at least at my temples under all the blonde in a bottle. :)

Bron, RobinB, athenasius and 2 others like this.
  10. Kem

Kem Citizen

I used to color my hair but it became expensive and annoying. Health concerns about the product absorbing through the skin were also an issue. I have been grey for many years now but on the other hand, wondering about promotions were never a factor as I worked at home in our small business and part time as a nurse.

athenasius, Lynn, ShilohRose and 2 others like this.
  11. Kem

Kem Citizen

After thinking about this, the style of your hair and the highly professional yet stylish outfits may be far more significant than hair color and the grey may even be a positive factor in the likelihood of promotion.

Bron, RobinB, athenasius and 4 others like this.
  12. caligal

caligal Well-Known Member

I quit in 2014 when our home flooded. My health took too steep a dive to keep it up, plus I am 72 and it just didn't seem natural to me.

Bron, TimeWarpWife, RobinB and 5 others like this.
  13. RobinB

RobinB Well-Known Member

Teresa your dog is adorable :)

14. Teresa66

Teresa66 Well-Known Member

Thanks!! She is a Cavapoo and just turned 3 years old. She pretty much rules our lives. :D

15. TimeWarpWife

TimeWarpWife Well-Known Member

I stopped coloring my hair about 6 years ago because it just never looked natural - no matter whether I did it or I had it done professionally. Well, one time I went to this swanky, very expensive salon and had it colored and it looked good, but I couldn't afford to pay $300 every 4 weeks to get it done. :yikes I'm heading toward 60 and retired, so I don't have to worry about job promotion or anything. For me personally, I'm not a young woman anymore and having colored hair makes me feel like I'm trying to be someone I'm not. But that's just me. I was watching an old episode of All in the Family the other day, and the thought occurred to me that when I was watching it back in the 70s I noticed the outfits Gloria would wear, now I notice Edith's outfits. :rotfl

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    Bron, athenasius, ShilohRose and 2 others like this.
  16. HeIsRisen

HeIsRisen Well-Known Member

52 here, and I color. My mom gets angry with me (funny, right?) if I don't color fast enough. She is 72 and just stopped coloring last year, and went totally grey/white......Natural......She says I am too young to not continue coloring, and i have to admit, I do look better keeping it colored....50 is the new 30, so they say, and I don't know but one lady my age who doesn't color and to me, she looks old....So, I am keeping the color going for now.

Bron, athenasius, ShilohRose and 2 others like this.
  17. Kerbluey

Kerbluey Well-Known Member

I used to color mine but decided it was worth it to have it professionally done. I’d love to let it go natural, but it’s a really ugly combination of brown and gray. Not pretty gray highlights but more like dirty dishwater. My hubby, who never asks anything of me, did once ask me to keep it colored. As long as he’s willing to pay I don’t mind.

18. fl2007rn

fl2007rn Member

I am 55 and have been getting highlights for over a decade. When I started to get gray hair around my face my hair dresser suggested the highlights. I enjoy my hair but it can be expensive to get the highlights every 6 or 7 weeks. However, that is the only thing I really spend money on for myself because I don't get massages, manicures/pedicures, etc. I mostly cook at home as well so my hair is my one thing I get done for myself.

Bron and RobinB like this.
  19. RobinB

RobinB Well-Known Member

Probably going to color today..... now the decision is stay blonde... or go darker.

Bron and Lynn like this.
  20. Bron

Bron Standing on the Promises of God!

I started going silver back when I was majoring in music performance...probably all the stress, lol! Anyway, I started coloring my hair about then but not often. Later I colored it once a month, but only used very natural brands that have extremely small amounts of PPDs. However, I’ve been doing tons of research on PPDs being carcinogenic regardless of the percentage. I tried henna but it doesn’t work on me at all. There is something called Hair Print that is supposed to be really excellent without the chemicals but it seems very time consuming.
    So now I’m trying to embrace my silver that is rapidly coming in now.
    I like it and I don’t. Some days I’m all stoked with this change and some days I hate it so much I want to hide at home. This transitioning phase is tough.
    I will admit that it is very nice shiny metallic silver, but...
    My three older sibs tell me it’s fine and that I’ll be okay etc. etc., but they’re fifteen to twenty years older than I am.
    I’m in the entertainment business and being gray doesn’t always get you the job.
    Lately I’ll buy a box and take it home and leave it on the counter for a few days then grab it and take it back to the store.
    Not sure I’m ready to go silver/gray...