Hailing Peter the Great, Putin draws parallel with mission to 'return' Russian lands

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Hailing Peter the Great, Putin draws parallel with mission to 'return' Russian lands
In televised comments on day 106 of his war in Ukraine, he compared Peter's campaign with the task facing Russia today.
By REUTERS
Published: JUNE 9, 2022

Russian President Vladimir Putin paid tribute on Thursday to Tsar Peter the Great on the 350th anniversary of his birth, drawing a parallel between what he portrayed as their twin historic quests to win back Russian lands. "Peter the Great waged the Great Northern War for 21 years. It would seem that he was at war with Sweden, he took something from them. He did not take anything from them, he returned (what was Russia's)," Putin said after visiting an exhibition dedicated to the tsar.

In televised comments on day 106 of his war in Ukraine, he compared Peter's campaign with the task facing Russia today. Putin, now in his 23rd year in power, has repeatedly sought to justify Russia's actions in Ukraine, where his forces have devastated cities, killed thousands and put millions of people to flight, by propounding a view of history that asserts Ukraine has no real national identity or tradition of statehood.

more.............. https://www.jpost.com/international/article-709068

athenasius

This is EXACTLY Putin's mindset, his world view in action. He views himself as the heir of the Tsars of Russia, and the only one who can save the motherland. He drapes himself in all the Tsarist trappings while holding to the ancient Russian idea of using other countries as buffer zones, disposable territory that can be retaken at will maintaining that buffer zone that "mother" Russia demands. Historically they only feel safe when they have lots of buffer countries between themselves and outsiders.

If it was ever part of the USSR or part of ancient territory claimed by Russia at ANY point in history, Putin will see it as his divinely appointed task to restore these territories to Mother Russia and the loving embrace of the Russian Orthodox church.

The West and Roman Catholicism are the enemies, along with China in the East and the Turks to the south but for now they have an alliance with those lands leaving the West as enemy number one in Putin's beady little eyes.

MapleLeaf

And THERE it is. I actually bought my kids a children's book of Peter the Great. Not sure when to work it into our home school but as my family came from there (though we aren't ethnically Russian) I want them to learn some of the history of that country. I was speaking with my brother awhile back and we were discussing how Russia had its own culture of exceptionalism which is part of the reason why they are so pitted against the States. The hubris of a culture that thinks it can use other people and nations as collateral damage to protect themselves is beyond belief.

It's almost too bad that Mongolia isn't the power it once was as they had Russia under their thumb for quite some time. Bring back the Mongol Empire! They have divine right to rule!

jeanie

This is EXACTLY Putin's mindset, his world view in action. He views himself as the heir of the Tsars of Russia, and the only one who can save the motherland. He drapes himself in all the Tsarist trappings while holding to the ancient Russian idea of using other countries as buffer zones, disposable territory that can be retaken at will maintaining that buffer zone that "mother" Russia demands. Historically they only feel safe when they have lots of buffer countries between themselves and outsiders.

If it was ever part of the USSR or part of ancient territory claimed by Russia at ANY point in history, Putin will see it as his divinely appointed task to restore these territories to Mother Russia and the loving embrace of the Russian Orthodox church.

The West and Roman Catholicism are the enemies, along with China in the East and the Turks to the south but for now they have an alliance with those lands leaving the West as enemy number one in Putin's beady little eyes.
And isn't that the exact same view of Erdogan?

Jaybird

It's almost comical that Putin and Erdogan want to bring back the glory of the old empires if they weren't so intent on causing war and destroying so much to accomplish their visions. They do say that history often repeats itself.

James 4:1-2: "What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don’t they come from your desires that battle within you? You desire but do not have, so you kill. You covet but you cannot get what you want, so you quarrel and fight."

ANewCreature

It is the same view as Erdogan. And what Mussolini thought of Italy, fancying himself another Julius Casar. And Saddam Hussein thinking he was Nebuchadnezzar's heir.

I wouldn't be surprised if some sort of force of darkness controls all great conquerors, leading them to think they have a divine right to everything. After all, it was that way going back to Nimrod, the mighty hunter before the Lord. I've heard it said that what he hunted was people because of his military might.

jab777

Not surprised. I’ve studied Russian history and I’ve always thought Putin viewed himself as the new Peter the Great.

Footsteps

It's almost comical that Putin and Erdogan want to bring back the glory of the old empires if they weren't so intent on causing war and destroying so much to accomplish their visions. They do say that history often repeats itself.

James 4:1-2: "What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don’t they come from your desires that battle within you? You desire but do not have, so you kill. You covet but you cannot get what you want, so you quarrel and fight."
The scripture above reminds me of another land-grabbing Russian murderer: Ivan the Terrible.
It leaves us with a loss of historic naming for the leader of our crumbling nation -
These monikers are less than heroic:

Joseph the Airhead
Joe the Incoherent
Joseph the Stalin
Joseph the Flatulence
Joseph the Stalin Flatulence II

jab777

The scripture above reminds me of another land-grabbing Russian murderer: Ivan the Terrible.
It leaves us with a loss of historic naming for the leader of our crumbling nation -
These monikers are less than heroic:

Joseph the Airhead
Joe the Incoherent
Joseph the Stalin
Joseph the Flatulence
Joseph the Stalin Flatulence II
Joseph the South end of a north bound mule