Grilling: Charcoal or Gas

Mustang

Henry Ford came up with charcoal because he was cheap and hated wasting anything. I guess a good thing for us. I'm using charcoal more than I used too. I used gas because I'm impatient, but with gas I'm also sick of replacing clickers and cheap tin burners.

MikeD

Interesting thread. Like it! The last grill I purchased was a combo gas/charcoal grill. LOVE IT! the charcoal side is used more often, will admit. Little bit of charcoal and wood on top. Makes for awesome stakes and a good slow cook for some great chicken. But for the quick hamburgers and hotdogs for the grand kids love the gas side!

Oh, just as a side note, if you've never tried Sycamore (sp???) wood for cooking on a grill you have no idea what you're missing out on! The flavor is beyond what you could believe!! MUST BE DRY DRY DRY!!

RonJohnSilver

I knew this would happen some day that I would post in the men's section against the rules! :(

Just call me Gary!

But I just HAVE to say............. doesn't anyone use a Chimney Charcoal Starter? Never use charcoal fluid again!

https://www.google.com/search?q=cha...&ei=jpCEVfKtOcalsAX784HABg&sqi=2&ved=0CHIQ7Ak

I use the chimney starter. I do have fluid on hand though. Charcoal is obviously what I have. Enjoying reading this thread. It gives me reminders or new ideas. Also, use a meat thermometer!!

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I knew this would happen some day that I would post in the men's section against the rules! :(

Just call me Gary!

But I just HAVE to say............. doesn't anyone use a Chimney Charcoal Starter? Never use charcoal fluid again!

https://www.google.com/search?q=cha...&ei=jpCEVfKtOcalsAX784HABg&sqi=2&ved=0CHIQ7Ak

Umm, Ggaarrrryyyy, :viking ;) I use a chimney starter. I have a charcoal and a gas grill. I have both to ensure I can grill even if I don't have time to get the charcoals going, but the charcoal grill gets used almost all of the time these days.

They've gone to such efforts to make charcoal lighter safe for those who endeavor to earn darwin awards that you have to use way too much of it these days to get the coals going. Decades ago it took just a little bit. With the chimney starters you for sure avoid any taste from the charcoal starter, and it works better anyways...

I buy whatever charcoal I can find that's cheap. This year, maybe because of COVID, there never was any super low prices so I ended up buying several bags of Kingsford, then I saw some mesquite charcoal at the military commissary that had been marked down a good bit so I bought several bags of that to round out this year's supply. I probably go through a few hundred pounds in a good year.

Kingsford lasts longer and I can use a little bit less of it, but I don't grill things that take a long time so the generic low priced brands of charcoal last long enough for grilling steaks, burgers, sausage, and for finishing ribs.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I LOVE BBQ!!!! Anyone make their own sauce? I make a Korean style sauce. Its a basic tomato based sauce, kicked up with Jalapeno's and some Tequila! !

I make my own Carolina BBQ sauce, otherwise I just use Sweet Baby Ray's more often than not.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Henry Ford came up with charcoal because he was cheap and hated wasting anything. I guess a good thing for us. I'm using charcoal more than I used too. I used gas because I'm impatient, but with gas I'm also sick of replacing clickers and cheap tin burners.

The first gas grill I purchased lasted years and years. I finally replaced it because it would hardly stand up by itself after so many moves (every few years due to military assignments). After that it seemed every new gas grill was ready to be replaced after just a season or two. At the end of the day, things made in China cost more than they're worth. They're really not low cost for what you get.

chaser

Praising my Savior all the day long!
I like charcoal and wood. If just making few burgers or couple dozen wings I use small water soaked pieces of hickory on 3-4 coals placed next to my main coals, just to get a little smoke, you really do not need a lot of wood smoke, just my opinion. A couple weeks ago I got ambitious and cooked 3 whole chickens at once. I have a Nexgrill charcoal grill/smoker and it has enough room that I can place 3 drip pans with charcoal around the outside edge of the pans and in between them. Then I fill the little smoker hopper with charcoal and throw a small chunk of wet hickory on the edge of the hot coals. All three chickens are done in about 1 hour and 15-20 minutes, temp holds pretty close to 400. After 30 minutes cooking time I bast the chickens with a mix of melted butter/garlic powder/ground rosemary,salt/blk pepper, baste again at 1 hour. Chicken is juicy and flavorful, the skin is crispy golden/brown .

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Yesterday I infused ground buffalo with pieces of havarti cheese, bacon, and sweet onion and grilled the resulting 12 patties. I grilled them over a mix of mesquite briquets and regular briquets. They turned out pretty good. For today I've got 2 each of Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey bbq and Jack Daniel's bbq baby back ribs that I'll finish over charcoal.

Last edited:

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13
I prefer charcoal, but I mainly cook on propane. I grill at at least 3 times a week, family needs quick meals and a clean kitchen, so propane is king. Mostly cook chicken leg quarters, breasts, burgers, pork chops, sausage, and steaks occasionally.

For prep I usually brine or dry brine for steaks/pork chops. For wet brine I use 1/3 C salt, 1/3 C sugar, 6 C water. I also substitute 3 C water for 3 C mojo marinade if I am doing latin food. I finish chicken and pork with BBQ sauce as well sometimes.

I have a cheap $100 3 burner I got on sale for $40. Even though its cheap, it gets screaming hot. I keep it in the garage out of the weather so it lasts forever (still no rust). I do clean it about once a month. When it's time to cook, I just open the garage and roll it out. If I want smoke I throw the meat in my electric smoker for about 30 mins and finish on the grill. Easy peasy.

Been grilling for many years and this is the way! Cheers!

DanLMP

I prefer charcoal, but I mainly cook on propane. I grill at at least 3 times a week, family needs quick meals and a clean kitchen, so propane is king. Mostly cook chicken leg quarters, breasts, burgers, pork chops, sausage, and steaks occasionally.

For prep I usually brine or dry brine for steaks/pork chops. For wet brine I use 1/3 C salt, 1/3 C sugar, 6 C water. I also substitute 3 C water for 3 C mojo marinade if I am doing latin food. I finish chicken and pork with BBQ sauce as well sometimes.

I have a cheap $100 3 burner I got on sale for $40. Even though its cheap, it gets screaming hot. I keep it in the garage out of the weather so it lasts forever (still no rust). I do clean it about once a month. When it's time to cook, I just open the garage and roll it out. If I want smoke I throw the meat in my electric smoker for about 30 mins and finish on the grill. Easy peasy.

Been grilling for many years and this is the way! Cheers!

Well then...you're in charge of the grill at the reunion in Father's House.

Andy C

I have both, but prefer propane, mainly because its easier. We dont grill as much as we did years ago, so its not a part of our normal diet to grill.

When we are out in the woods with the RV, I only use charcoal on a small portable grill.

Time to pull some steaks out of the freezer and fire up the grill tonight. This thread makes me crave a NY.