Grilling: Charcoal or Gas

LoudRam

I've decided to start a couple of fun threads and this is one. Which do you guys prefer?

I like Charcoal personally. I like the taste. It's a little more work but it's worth it. I do have a small gas grill that I used when I went camping but it's just a table top grill. My main grill has always been Charcoal. And Kingsford Charcoal is all I use. The cheaper brands burn out to quickly.

So which do you like?

pixelpusher

Charcoal, most definitely. And hickory or pecan chunks. I like pecan wood for chicken. Applewood seems too soft for me, and mesquite too sharp, but I will use any at hand.

I seem to get by fine with store-brand charcoal, and I use the instant-light if it's on sale. I've never been able to distinguish how the lighter fluid or instant-light briquets give an off flavor as long as I let them burn till all the fuel is off. If the ashes are white, and when I "waft" over the grill and don't smell any more fuel, it's good to go for beef. I let it cool down a spot for chicken or fish.

Now back when I was seriously into long smoking times, I had an R2D2 smoker unit that had a propane burner in the bottom, and that was insanely handy for keeping the smoker at 220° consistently for hours. I'd still start with charcoal and wood in the burn pan though.

Do y'all actually soak your wood chips? Whenever I do that it seems to just put the fire out. I generally throw some chunks in there touching the edges of the coals, and shut the lid down after the meat is seared and moved off the coals. I have figured out how much to open the air and chimney to keep it burning but not flaming. Much.

LoudRam

You nailed it. Let the coals ash over and you'll never have the lighter fluid taste. And I use a lot of fluid. I start a fire! LOL. I never tried wood along with Charcoal. Maybe I should try it. I have a couple of maple trees in my yard. Thanks for the idea.

Rez63

Definitely charcoal! ! But....I do like the convenience of gas. When I want a quick burger or chicken wings!!
I use the large Mesquite charcoal chunks. They cook hot so I let them ash over quite a bit. I get the big 50# bags thru one of my food purveyors at work. Real cheap!! They get them for the Rafting Outfitters during the summer.
I LOVE BBQ!!!! Anyone make their own sauce? I make a Korean style sauce. Its a basic tomato based sauce, kicked up with Jalapeno's and some Tequila! !

pixelpusher

I knew this would happen some day that I would post in the men's section against the rules! :(
Just call me Gary!

Now Mare, we can't have any of that gender bender stuff in the mens' thread... :lol
You're not gonna go all "Bruce" on us are you? :pound

mbrown1219 said:
But I just HAVE to say............. doesn't anyone use a Chimney Charcoal Starter? Never use charcoal fluid again!

https://www.google.com/search?q=cha...&ei=jpCEVfKtOcalsAX784HABg&sqi=2&ved=0CHIQ7Ak

I was actually gonna ask that also... a buddy has one and swears by it, but I guess I am like LoudRam, I like to douse it in half of Saudi Arabia and see if I can make the neighbors call the Fire Department.

Lady Pitmasters are welcome in this thread, as far as I am concerned. I didn't let the "Ladies Forum" stop me from asking about shoes!

Propane has it's place, I will concede, and it is possible to make some fine fare by using a smoker pack with propane. It is more efficient, when you are done, you just turn it off. And it's great for buckets of oil for a fish fry or maintaining temp for slow smoking. But I like charcoal, it just feels right. There's a certain "art" I guess, to getting a feel for how much charcoal and managing temps, and I like things where there has to be some skill with it. When you do it all right and it comes out well, that's a reward in itself. I'd rather cut my veggies with a knife than put them through a cuisinart, but there's a place and time for the food processor too. And if I am out of charcoal I will go right over to the woodpile and get a couple oak or hickory pieces, it takes longer to burn down, but works great.

pixelpusher

Definitely charcoal! ! But....I do like the convenience of gas. When I want a quick burger or chicken wings!!
I use the large Mesquite charcoal chunks. They cook hot so I let them ash over quite a bit. I get the big 50# bags thru one of my food purveyors at work. Real cheap!! They get them for the Rafting Outfitters during the summer.
I LOVE BBQ!!!! Anyone make their own sauce? I make a Korean style sauce. Its a basic tomato based sauce, kicked up with Jalapeno's and some Tequila! !

Is that Mexican-Korean?! Sounds good either way!

Have to admit I have not mastered any sauces beyond a basic Eastern NC vinegar sauce. If we add ketchup to our vinegar sauce, you get Lexington Red, which is better, IMO. But I have a client who makes a very good sauce, and I used to get bottles of it free, but now I just buy them.

Rez63

Is that Mexican-Korean?! Sounds good either way!

Have to admit I have not mastered any sauces beyond a basic Eastern NC vinegar sauce. If we add ketchup to our vinegar sauce, you get Lexington Red, which is better, IMO. But I have a client who makes a very good sauce, and I used to get bottles of it free, but now I just buy them.
Well the Tequila is my addition!! I buy a case of #10 cans of ketchup at Costco. I have a huge pot from the Restaurant I use. Put all my ingredients in and let it simmer for a few days!! The whole house smells of BBQ!!! That will last me the summer!! The Jalapenos give it a nice warmth without being overly spicy!!

DanLMP

It's time for a totally meaningless fun fact!
Did you know that the Kingsford company was started by Henry Ford (and Mr. Kings I assume).
Back in the day when they were making the first Ford cars, Ford would also make the wheels at the plant...out of wood.
With all those wood shavings littering the place they decided to start a company making charcoal briquetes from them.

And that's your fun fact of the day!

Rez63

My Grandfather owned a BBQ joint in the Bay Area (Sunnyvale ) in the 70's-80's! He served breakfast in the morning and burgers and steak sandwiches ( his speciality! )
for lunch. He had an open pit Q. Highth was adjustable by turning a large wheel. He used just plain briquiets!! The pit was about 8' long! He had a line out the door every day for lunch!!! Great place then!!