Greek lexicon

so-blessed

Can anyone tel me which is the best Greek lexicon (pref online) to use please? I have Strongs and also use Bible Hub interlinear but want to be sure I'm getting the best translation as I often hear teaching that although correct, seems to have much better rendering of the Greek to expand the subject, than the two sources I mention. Thanks in advance.

mattfivefour

I have a number of sources, but the gold standard for NT Greek is the BDAG (Bauer, Danker, Arndt and Gingrich) Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature, 3rd Edition. Revised and Edited by Frederick William Danker; University of Chicago Press, 2000. Unfortunately it is not available online. Thayer's Greek Lexicon is excellent, and available through biblehub.com. Simply find a verse you want to examine, click on Greek, then click on the Strong's number of the word you want to investigate and you will find Thayer's (among a couple of others).

mattfivefour

Yep. You'll really like the BDAG. It is usually one of the first things a student needs in seminary or bible college.

mattfivefour

There is one other resource I had forgotten about. It is called Greek For The Rest Of Us by William Mounce. Rather than giving you a particular commentator's view of the meaning of a word, Bill Mounce is an internationally respected expert in Biblical Greek. His book will give you the tools to be able to discover the correct meaning of any Greek word in the context of the specific verse in which it occurs. Quoting from the promotional materials for this book, it will enable you to:
  • Recite the Greek alphabet
  • Read and pronounce Greek words
  • Learn the Greek noun and verbal system
  • Conduct Greek word studies
  • Move further into the intricacies of the Greek noun and verbal system
  • Learn an exegetical method called "Phrasing" that uses Greek to help you see the biblical author's flow of thought
  • Decipher why translations are different
  • Read better commentaries and other research tools
Bill also has a website that contains video lessons among a whole slew of other helps. I don't know why I didn't think of him earlier. I have his Basics of Biblical Greek which is a must have (along with the BDAG) for bible college students.

Back