Google AI Pioneer Says He Quit To Speak Freely About Technology’s ‘Dangers’

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
https://www.oann.com/tech/google-ai-pioneer-says/

.....“I left so that I could talk about the dangers of AI without considering how this impacts Google,” Geoffrey Hinton wrote on Twitter.

In an interview with the New York Times, Hinton said he was worried about AI’s capacity to create convincing false images and texts, creating a world where people will “not be able to know what is true anymore”.

“It is hard to see how you can prevent the bad actors from using it for bad things,” he said.

The technology could quickly displace workers, and become a greater danger as it learns new behaviours.

“The idea that this stuff could actually get smarter than people — a few people believed that,” he told the New York Times. “But most people thought it was way off. And I thought it was way off. I thought it was 30 to 50 years or even longer away. Obviously, I no longer think that.”......

Wally

Choose Your Words Carefully...
As ai grows and grows, I am reminded of the Twilight Zone episode that ends with a factory fully automated and the exec having his last coffee at a closing diner.

And in the office is Robbie the Robot twirling a pocket watch.

Toil was part of man's curse for sinning. By the sweat of your brow....

Now kids sit in GPS guided tractors playing video games.
The toil is so automated, man may just forget how to work.
And then society becomes totally dependent on a king who brutalizes slaves to feed his worshippers.

It seems poetic justice for men who refuse to "take their medicine" and learn from it who instead want to be their own god and push the work onto others.

Yet even today, God is still hard at work, even in our spiritual rest in Christ.

Círeth

Purry, roary, one.
As ai grows and grows, I am reminded of the Twilight Zone episode that ends with a factory fully automated and the exec having his last coffee at a closing diner.

And in the office is Robbie the Robot twirling a pocket watch.

Toil was part of man's curse for sinning. By the sweat of your brow....

Now kids sit in GPS guided tractors playing video games.
The toil is so automated, man may just forget how to work.
And then society becomes totally dependent on a king who brutalizes slaves to feed his worshippers.

It seems poetic justice for men who refuse to "take their medicine" and learn from it who instead want to be their own god and push the work onto others.

Yet even today, God is still hard at work, even in our spiritual rest in Christ.
The irony is I'm not working because I'm sick. If the Lord dropped a lot of money in my lap, never work a day in your life again type money, I'd get my health sorted.

Then I would buy a big house with farmland attached and grow all sorts of food.

I'd get wool combs and a carder, buy a spinning wheel and learn how to comb, card, spin and dye fleeces which I bought direct from the farmers.

I'd buy a couple more looms and weave my own fabrics and blankets. (The loom I have now is good for woollens but not finer fabrics.)

I'd get a good sewing machine and lessons and make all my clothes. I'd learn how to quilt.

I'd cook and bake so much and take my excess baked goods and fresh food to the food banks, because just getting canned and dried stuff is soul destroying. I'd make clothes and blankets, and quilts for free for people who need them too.

I can't do anything much at the moment and I hate that with a passion. I'm so bored. I can weave for an hour maximum because my body gets too tired. I used to weave for hours at a time.

I can't imagine anyone who doesn't want to work. Some people do have trouble finding their passions but once they do they want to put their time and effort into them.

I'd also hire a cleaner and send all my laundry out. Cleaning, housekeeping and laundry are boring and I loathe those tasks. I have a friend who loves cleaning, organising and housekeeping though. It takes all sorts.

Círeth

Purry, roary, one.
AI isn't smart enough yet.

I've seen some ChatGPT essays.

They start off great but as they go on the grammar deteriorates and they begin to turn into word salad.

We don't need to worry about AI taking over jobs for at least another five years.

Then we can panic.

liv4Him

Son, Husband, Dad, Neighbor
AI isn't smart enough yet.

I've seen some ChatGPT essays.

They start off great but as they go on the grammar deteriorates and they begin to turn into word salad.

We don't need to worry about AI taking over jobs for at least another five years.

Then we can panic.

Sorry to disagree with you on this but AI is much further than most even know. You should listen to the interview of Tristan Harris. It has already caught up to the adult level strategic reasoning. In 2018 it it was at a level of a newborn. In January of 2022 it was at the level of a 7 year old by the end of 2022 it was at the mind of a nine-year-old and today it's already caught up to the level of an adult.

AI is already writing code encrypting it to where humans cannot read it and sending it to other AI that can decipher the code and read it. So different AIS are already conversing amongst themselves in an unknown language we can't read.

The only reason I'm not scared of AI is because I know how the story ends. Eventually Antichrist will get control of it and that's what he will use to control the world but by that time we won't be here.

Círeth

Purry, roary, one.
Sorry to disagree with you on this but AI is much further than most even know. You should listen to the interview of Tristan Harris. It has already caught up to the adult level strategic reasoning. In 2018 it it was at a level of a newborn. In January of 2022 it was at the level of a 7 year old by the end of 2022 it was at the mind of a nine-year-old and today it's already caught up to the level of an adult.

AI is already writing code encrypting it to where humans cannot read it and sending it to other AI that can decipher the code and read it. So different AIS are already conversing amongst themselves in an unknown language we can't read.

The only reason I'm not scared of AI is because I know how the story ends. Eventually Antichrist will get control of it and that's what he will use to control the world but by that time we won't be here.
Maybe military grade AIs but the AIs the public has access to such as ChatGPT are not anywhere near smart enough yet to replace people as workers which is what most people are worried about and what the ongoing Writer's Strike is partly about.

liv4Him

Son, Husband, Dad, Neighbor
AI has already passed both the BAR exam and medical board.

Goldman Sachs estimated 300 million jobs world wide will be lost to AI and chatGPT 4 will get rid of 60% of lawyers alone.

It is coming much faster than any of us realize and if 1000+ tech leader are signing to a letter saying we need a 6 month pause on AI to figure out the ethical implications I tend to think that it's beyond even what I suspect

athenasius

Hinton said he was worried about AI’s capacity to create convincing false images and texts,
I've seen some of that, and it's being used by scammers (of course) to duplicate people's voices (telling loved ones, they are kidnapped and need a ransom). Voice recognition and voice prints are no longer safe.
https://www.oann.com/tech/google-ai-pioneer-says/

.....“I left so that I could talk about the dangers of AI without considering how this impacts Google,” Geoffrey Hinton wrote on Twitter.

In an interview with the New York Times, Hinton said he was worried about AI’s capacity to create convincing false images and texts, creating a world where people will “not be able to know what is true anymore”.

“It is hard to see how you can prevent the bad actors from using it for bad things,” he said.

The technology could quickly displace workers, and become a greater danger as it learns new behaviours.

“The idea that this stuff could actually get smarter than people — a few people believed that,” he told the New York Times. “But most people thought it was way off. And I thought it was way off. I thought it was 30 to 50 years or even longer away. Obviously, I no longer think that.”......
I was listening to some random programmer who explained he didn't think this new AI version was particularly far along until he started reading the code that it was programming, and that changed his mind.

He said he thinks anyone who works in information technology has a few months to a year or two before their jobs are threatened, but after that he said he thought anyone whose job depended on a knowledge base like law, engineering or programming, even medicine may be out of a job while those who work with their hands and bodies (like nurses, plumbers, carpenters) will still be fairly safe.

Whether he is right or not, whether his time frame is accurate, it's fairly safe to say it will change the way things are, just how fast, and how much.

I think it's like all the other signs we see converging pointing at the Tribulation but especially the techno signs-- it's certainly pointing at the nearness of The Tribulation.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Because of this world we live in, AI "intelligence" will probably be about as destructive as liberal/woke intelligence. Guess you could say that right now I'm leaning towards thinking they should rename it to Artificial Lunacy, or AL.

Back