Goodbye Petraeus, you will be working through some serious issues

YeuEmMaiMai

Central Intelligence Agency Director David Petraeus has resigned, citing "extremely poor judgment" for having an extramarital affair.

Petraeus, 60, told President Barack Obama of the affair on Thursday and offered to resign, a senior official told NBC News. Obama accepted his resignation in a phone call Friday afternoon.

"Yesterday afternoon, I went to the White House and asked the President to be allowed, for personal reasons, to resign from my position," Petraeus said in a letter to CIA colleagues. "After being married for over 37 years, I showed extremely poor judgment by engaging in an extramarital affair. Such behavior is unacceptable, both as a husband and as the leader of an organization such as ours."

"This afternoon, the President graciously accepted my resignation," Petraeus said in the letter.

On a side note, the FBI is about to give an NBC reporter one serious cavity search over trying to access the CIA director's personal e-mail

Meanwhile, law enforcement sources told NBC News that the FBI is currently investigating Petraeus' biographer for improperly trying to access his email. The sources emphasized that Petraeus was not under investigation and added that they did not believe the investigation into author Paula Broadwell would result in criminal charges.

Last edited by a moderator:

Meg

Really truly sorry to see him go. He's going to be very hard to replace.

Sean Osborne

I'm not sure I am going to buy into the Director of the CIA saying that he engaged in marital infidelity.

I think this is about Benghazi and Petraeus has fallen on a sword handed him by the Obama Administration.

Petraeus resignation is smoke and mirrors to obfuscate the fact that Obama was accountable as the CInC, but will not resign or be impeched over his dereliction of duty. Ditto for the SECDEF and the SECSTATE, they were given "get out of jail free cards" over Benghazi.

That leaves Petraeus to fall on the sword.

That is an utterly corrupt administration works.

Meg

I'm not sure I am going to buy into the Director of the CIA saying that he engaged in marital infidelity.

I think this is about Benghazi and Petraeus has fallen on a sword handed him by the Obama Administration.

Petraeus resignation is smoke and mirrors to obfuscate the fact that Obama was accountable as the CInC, but will not resign or be impeched over his dereliction of duty. Ditto for the SECDEF and the SECSTATE, they were given "get out of jail free cards" over Benghazi.

Funny, I had a similar thought when I first saw the news... But then, I think we all knew heads would roll, but not Obama's and not Clinton's either...

kristinebrown

I think it's a fishy story. I'm not buying it. It's another cover up. He doesn't have to testify neck week since he "resigned"

Why wasn't bill Clinton forced to resign when he had an affair with Monica? So so so corrupt. This is nothing more than smoke and mirrors for Benghazi. IMO.

Last edited:

Robert

I'm going to have to agree with you here Sean: it's way too convenient and on the heels of Benghazi. With the hearings into that sordid affair, this seems to be a "patsy move" designed to give the public a "sacrificial lamb" to feast on.

Sean Osborne

I think it's a fishy story. I'm not buying it. It's another cover up. He doesn't have to testify neck week since he "resigned"

Why wasn't bill Clinton forced to resign when he had an affair with Monica? So so so corrupt. This is nothing more than smoke and mirrors for Benghazi. IMO.
Exactly... General Petraeus being given a pass on Benghazi testimony in the Senate? Who do they think they're kidding??? Such a thing only would serve to continue and deepen the cover-up, the whitewash of the the entire dereliction of duty affair.

The terrorist assault in Benghazi Libya DID NOT OCCUR IN A VACUUM. U.S. diplomatic missions all over the middle east were under assault or besieged at the time and every body in Washington DC with the right TS/SCI clearance was watching these situations in real-time. THAT'S WHY THE DRONES WERE AIRBORNE!!!

General David Petraeus, as DIRCIA, is the KEY individual in the middle of the Benghazi fiasco in particular; he is the one person who can wreck the Obama Administration by saying just one sentence: "President Obama and key administration officals have deceived the public about what occurred in Benghazi, Libya on 11 September 2012." This is a sentence which would initiate impeachment proceedings.

And do not forget for a moment that Benghazi was the key to the weapons being sent to rebels (and Al Qaeda) in Syria.

Also do not forget that the Republican-controlled House has the Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence. Chairman Mike Rogers (R-MI) will have to call on General Petraeus to testify or become a party to the whitewash.

Lynn

Longing for Home
I can't agree with some of the posts who say that this perhaps didn't really happen. Gen. Petraeus wouldn't make up this kind of story and put his wife and children/grandchildren through this depth of pain if he was just giving an excuse. Most likely, others in the admin. knew about it and threatened to blow the lid off it, if he didn't himself go public with it and resign. The reason for their doing so, and especially at this critical time, of course, is the Bengazhi situation and to thwart his testimony.

SonSeeker

Exactly... General Petraeus being given a pass on Benghazi testimony in the Senate? Who do they think they're kidding??? Such a thing only would serve to continue and deepen the cover-up, the whitewash of the the entire dereliction of duty affair.

The terrorist assault in Benghazi Libya DID NOT OCCUR IN A VACUUM. U.S. diplomatic missions all over the middle east were under assault or besieged at the time and every body in Washington DC with the right TS/SCI clearance was watching these situations in real-time. THAT'S WHY THE DRONES WERE AIRBORNE!!!

General David Petraeus, as DIRCIA, is the KEY individual in the middle of the Benghazi fiasco in particular; he is the one person who can wreck the Obama Administration by saying just one sentence: "President Obama and key administration officals have deceived the public about what occurred in Benghazi, Libya on 11 September 2012." This is a sentence which would initiate impeachment proceedings.

And do not forget for a moment that Benghazi was the key to the weapons being sent to rebels (and Al Qaeda) in Syria.

Also do not forget that the Republican-controlled House has the Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence. Chairman Mike Rogers (R-MI) will have to call on General Petraeus to testify or become a party to the whitewash.
Exactly! And now that his status has become that of a private citizen, he is more free to say just that. But I hope he has a "bomb proof" security team protecting him.

Lynn

Longing for Home

Lt. Col. Ralph Peters On Petraeus: "Timing Is Just Too Perfect" | RealClearPolitics

REKG

Yesterday when I came home from work my wife show me this Petraeus stuff and I told her it smells like week old roadkill, there is more than what is being told. Plus I said that Obama, Clinton, Panetta will not be held accountable for anything. It will die away. Sign of the times, gonna get worst folks, and I'm stocking up on fresh roadkill.:eek:scar: