Going Through Trials

Goodboy

On my way up!
Going Through Trials

1 Corinthians 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

While the verse above speaks of temptations, I think a better understood word would be trials. The word temptation leads one to believe it is only speaking of sins. I believe the verse is trying to convey that God will not let you go through anything that you cannot handle. Think of Job.

You may say, “Oh but you don’t know what I had to go through”. That’s true, but if you are reading this, then I guess you made it through. Here is the thing about the verse. God is saying that he will not let you go through more than you can handle. But most if not all of us can handle much more than we think we can.

If you work with a personal trainer, you may think you can only do 20 pushups, but he will push you to do 25. You may think you can only lift 100 pounds, but he will push you to lift 120 pounds. We always want to stop before we get to our max. The same is true with our life. Most of us can bear much more than we think we can, with God’s help.

So like a lot of what I write, God has taught me through my experience, not only through the Bible verses. If you read my posts in Prayer Requests & Praise Reports you will see I went through and am still going through some things I thought I could not handle. I actually reminded God of 1 Corinthians 10:13, as if he forgot it. God had to show me (if he just said it I might not have agreed) that I could handle much more than I thought.

God never said he would allow more than you want to handle, but would not allow more than you can handle. You may now say “So why does God allow our trials to go to such an extent.” Well think of your upbringing as a child, our parents made us go through things we did not like, maybe school for some of us. Why, because these things would benefit us in the future.

Here is the thing we really have to get a hold of, God is looking at what’s best for us in eternity, not so much in this life. This is the thing the Prosperity Gospel does not get. They think a good God, would grant you a wonderful life on earth. Have you ever really read the bible? It’s all about eternity. I am not saying God cannot or does not give you blessing on earth, but he is much more concerned about eternity. Just like a good parent is more concerned about your success as an adult, than how much fun you have as a child.

At this point you might ask, “What do trials have to do with my success in eternity?” Well it’s all about rewards you will receive for ever! Your rewards will be based on how well you perform while here on earth. Now one might ask “Why doesn’t God just give me rewards without the trials?” Well it’s funny how sometimes we expect God to do things that don’t make a lot of sense. Would you reward someone that had not accomplished anything? If you did, it was not a reward, but a gift.

God has given us the greatest gift which is salvation through Jesus Christ. However he also wants to reward us, but that is based on what we do. So then to get a reward you must either do something or go through something. Job had to go through something and the same is true for most of us. While we may not see the benefit of it now, I assure you that you will be so, so glad that God allowed you to go through trials when you get your rewards that lasts forever!

Goodboy

Last edited:

Jette_516

Thank you for this. I’ve always relied on this verse for ‘temptations’ as commonly translated, but can see how it is applicable to trials also. I had a cousin who passed recently who experienced Job- like trials. His witness through it all was so positive. I hope he is reaping the rewards in Heaven now.