- God's Will –

Abed_nego2

Psalm 143:10, "Teach me to do thy will; for thou art my God: thy spirit is good; lead me into the land of uprightness"

What is God’s will for your life? In the midst of daily activities and busyness, it's certainly easy to lose sight of this! Many people desire to do God’s will, but they struggle because they don't know what His will is. Our God has wonderful plans for your life! Therefore, discovering God’s will is not necessarily a complicated process. He has given us many simple and clearly stated passages in His Eternal Word for our life.

First and foremost, God’s will is that a person have a relationship with Him through His Son, Jesus Christ (1 Timothy 2:3-4). Once you have a relationship with Jesus Christ, God wants you to be Christ’s disciple and following God’s will daily. Luke 9:23, “If anyone would come to me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.”

We are also told, “This is the will of God, that by doing good you may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men” (1 Peter 2:15). In 1 Thessalonians 4:3 we read, “This is the will of God, your sanctification: that you should abstain from sexual immorality.” Additionally, in 1 Thessalonians 5:18 we are told, “In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.” Some other principles found in His Word that will help you discern His will for you are:

(1) You were created by God, in His image, and for a purpose. Jeremiah 29:11, “For I know the plans I have for you, declared the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future”;

(2) God has given you the Holy Spirit for guidance (John 16:13);

(3) He promises to give you wisdom. James 1:5, “If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him";

(4) You should trust God in faith that He will accomplish His will in your life. Proverbs 3:5-6, “Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.”

(5) You should listen to the advice of godly men and women that God has placed in your life. Many times’ the advice of a parent, pastor, youth minister, Sunday school teacher or others who are mature in the Lord, is just what you need to hear to help you decide what God wants you to do. Proverbs 12:15 sums it up this way, “The way of a fool seems right to him, but a wise man listens to advice”'

(6) God has given you at least one gift or abilities to be used in His service. Always remember that God’s ultimate purpose for all of us is that He would be glorified (1 Corinthians 10:31) and that the gospel and His kingdom would be advanced (Philippians 1:12).

Closing thoughts:

Some people’s hair has a will of its own. It knows where it wants to go and stubbornly resists all attempts to make it go elsewhere. Others have very manageable hair as it willingly does whatever the stylist decides it should do. It knows whose boss and gladly receives all the help it can get. With that help, results can be astounding. People can be self-willed too. Psalm 32 says that we can sometimes be like a horse or a mule that lacks understanding (v. 9). God knows we need all the help we can get, so He longs for us to give Him control of our lives. He wants to instruct us in the way we should go and guide us with His watchful eye (v. 8). Those who yield to God’s purposes are not spineless. Having made God’s will their own, theirs is the strongest will possible. By exchanging their own agenda for God’s, their lives produce some amazing, God-glorifying results. Whose agenda are you following – yours or God’s?

David, the composer of today’s psalm, knew the futility of living for himself (vs. 3-5). As you submit to the Lord’s direction, you will prove in your own experience what David found to be true in his: God’s mercy surrounds the person who surrenders to Him (v. 10). Jesus Christ taught that knowing God's will and living in obedience to that will is the key to it all! Thus, as you live by faith and do according to what the Bible clearly tells you to do; you can be sure the Lord will lead you through the difficult decisions when the options may not be so clear.

Taken from the book of Jeremiah, we must always remember that God is the potter and we are the clay. He will keep you spinning on His potter's wheel, shaping and reshaping you to make you more Christ-like so He can use you for His will. My brethren, above all, surrender daily, keep your clay moist through daily prayer, prayer that's in accordance to His will, because the best way to know God’s will is to say, “I will” to God.