God's voice

Emmajw

In the Bible, it often talks about "God speaking to someone", for instance when God gave Noah the dimensions for the Ark. Do you all think that people actually heard God's voice from Heaven? I have often thought how wonderful it would be if this still occurred. I know we have the Bible and the Holy Spirit now, but there are times when I am really seeking an answer from God, and I think it would be so great to just hear God's voice. How does God communicate with people today, compared to then? Have any of you ever heard God's voice?

TeeTee

I have on occasion heard from God. Once I was going to run an errand. And the Lord stopped me from going out the door. The Lord said Pray for XX now! I was obediant and immediately stopped everything and prayed for XX. I never knew what that was all about. Yes he does talk to us. I wish I could hear him all the time. But when He wants to get my attention, He will let me know.

Pat

John 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
Rev 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
Rom 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Jeff K

I think this is where books like "Jesus Calling" by Sarah Young are dangerous. How many, in search of hearing God's voice, have fallen into contemplative prayer, mysticism and any other state of mind that opens up the door to hearing a voice. If I'm not mistaken, Sarah Young sat in deep prayer with pen in hand, waiting to hear God's voice in writing her book.

I'm not an expert in contemplative prayers or such, but I do know enough to stay away from it.

GotGrace

I think this is where books like "Jesus Calling" by Sarah Young are dangerous. How many, in search of hearing God's voice, have fallen into contemplative prayer, mysticism and any other state of mind that opens up the door to hearing a voice. If I'm not mistaken, Sarah Young sat in deep prayer with pen in hand, waiting to hear God's voice in writing her book.

I'm not an expert in contemplative prayers or such, but I do know enough to stay away from it.
Some one gave me one of her devotional books for Christmas last year and I immediate trashed it. I saw no need to pass it on.

Work4Peanuts

I've heard it, too. It's usually either 1) telling me to do something or 2) pointing out a reference in scripture that I am supposed to notice.

One of the things that my pastor has mentioned about hearing God's voice, and I think that it's important to point out as well, is to make sure that it never contradicts the Bible. We are to test the spirits, and God, quite frankly, is not the only one speaking out there.

I am currently witnessing to someone who does not believe that a loving God will ever send anyone to hell. I am having a really hard time convincing her that the Bible is our guide, because she "hears God's voice." She has not accepted Jesus as her savior, and is biblically illiterate. I have serious doubts that it is God's voice she is hearing. (I also know that she is not delusional, so that leaves the only alternative that she is hearing deceiving spirits masquerading as the Almighty.) Scary thought.

JSTyler

This is a really great point, Jeff K. Right on!

I think it's pretty clear in Scripture that if you truly want to hear God's voice, it's found only in Scripture. Any other source has to be called into serious question.

You wanna hear from God, read His Word. You wanna know God, read His Word. You wanna draw closer to God, read His Word. This could go on and on. The person of the Holy Spirit IS God's Word. I love how Dave Hunt put it, "The Word of God is God's DNA."

Contemplative prayer or Lectio Divinia or repetitive prayer or even to some degree, going out into nature to open yourself up and "be still and know that I am God" can be very dangerous. There's a certain fallen angel of light with an army of demonic imps that are very happy to deceive the unwary.

You wanna hear from God, read His Word.

Anewcreationinjesus

This is a really great point, Jeff K. Right on!

I think it's pretty clear in Scripture that if you truly want to hear God's voice, it's found only in Scripture. Any other source has to be called into serious question.

You wanna hear from God, read His Word. You wanna know God, read His Word. You wanna draw closer to God, read His Word. This could go on and on. The person of the Holy Spirit IS God's Word. I love how Dave Hunt put it, "The Word of God is God's DNA."

Contemplative prayer or Lectio Divinia or repetitive prayer or even to some degree, going out into nature to open yourself up and "be still and know that I am God" can be very dangerous. There's a certain fallen angel of light with an army of demonic imps that are very happy to deceive the unwary.

You wanna hear from God, read His Word.
THIS!!!!

maryrae

I believe we primarily hear God speak through His Word. After all, it is inspired (God-breathed). The Holy Spirit permeates it through & through. Another way He speaks to us, is through other Christians, as long as their advice/words line up with Scripture. We also can "hear" the Holy Spirit speak into our spirits as we read the Word, He helps us understand what is written.
I do believe that God still speaks through the Spirit's gifts, but it is not common, and so often, terribly misused. "God told me" "thus saith the Lord" are phrases that I shrink back from, because of the misuse.

Last edited:

Mikedexion

I’m actually still getting used to this myself. Some know full well when they hear from God in their spirit. I’m getting more used to it and I notice it’s usually a scripture brought forth to my remembrance. When it is his voice and not mine is the tricky part but I am noticing now my spirit seems to “stand still” when it’s the Holy Spirit speaking.
Normally my thoughts race to and fro... it’s annoying! There was also once where he spoke to me in a dream and he corrected me on a matter.... Still small voice sounds like the best description I can think of.

Jan51

Beth Moore is another one who says she literally hears from God, and teaches that everyone else can and should too. Then people start doing "whatever" to try to hear from God. They become open to "a voice" and we all know who is more than happy to give them that experience. God has spoken clearly--in His Word.

LisaJoe1986

After a exhausting bout with my stubborn daughter (now 18 and saved) when she was a preschooler, I heard the Lord speak to me in my heart and say, "Thank me for that rebellion." WHAT??? I realized later that I should be glad the rebellion was external and that she wasn't a quiet rebel. Because I could see it, I could deal with it and train her. My oldest was sitting down outside, but inside he was standing and I was floored when he went prodigal on me.

I think it is very important to hold everything up to scripture. If it doesn't line up, it isn't God.