God's omnipresence.

Rocky R.

We can all agree that God is infinite, eternal, and all-powerful. Amen! God is also omnipresent, being everywhere and in all times (past, present, future, eternity) all at once. I've heard the argument before that God's presence is not in Hell -- the absence of God's presence being the essence of Hell itself. I politely disagree. God is omnipresent.

Heaven is where God will manifest all His attributes -- except wrath and anger. Hell is where God will not manifest any of His positive attributes -- except wrath and anger. God's wrath is good. Is God unjust who inflicts wrath? (I speak as a man.) Certainly not! For then how will God judge the world? He cannot be entirely absent, for His holiness is the burning fire, His attributes the sulfuric atmosphere of Hell that strangles the wicked and the unbelieving. Each person in Hell, whether human or angelic, is separated not only from God but from everyone else in absolute solitary confinement.

Remember the former rich man and Lazarus story? He said, "Father Abraham, have mercy on me!" Note that he does not ask God, but Abraham. Perhaps Abraham (in an extended conversation not written in Scripture) said, "You are not at my mercy, but God's. Ask Him." The former rich man probably replied, "No, not him!" If a person dies without Christ, they don't start loving God when they get to the other side. They become all sin, and their sinfulness is amplified a million times -- probably from being completely cut off from all of God's goodness. Yes, they are still in God's presence, but NOT in a BLESSED presence. Which is why, as sentient moral beings, they are still accountable to God for their actions in Hell, but they feel the immediate punishment for sins they continue to do in Hell.

Hunger without food to satisfy it, thirst without water to quench it, loneliness without company to alleviate it. Misery loves company, and those in Hell will hunger and thirst for the company that misery loves. There is unlimited misery, but no company. Even if there were, they would only care about their own selves. How can anyone withstand even a day of this -- or an eternal night?! The tedium would crush them after just a few minutes. What would a million years of tedium do to a person?!

Last edited:
Back