God The Killer?

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I saw this over at Jack's site and thought I'd post it here. There are lots of people who question god's right to do as he pleases. I think we have alll done that at times. But here Jack makes some good points on why God does some things that he does. Interesting read. :)

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/god-the-killer

God The Killer?
Ask a Bible Teacher

Q. Why does GOD kill people in the Bible for such trivial and unfair reasons? for example Nadab and Abihu were struck down dead by GOD with fire from heaven for burning strange incense without his permission. Then there is the story of GOD killing 70,000 people because David conducted a census improperly which angered the Lord,why kill the people when it was David who caused GOD anger? then finally we have GOD killing Pharoahs son and the first born of Egypt including the first born of animals that's something the members of PETA would find "most disturbing" what did the animals do to deserve this they had nothing to do with what was going on between GOD and Pharoah? and neither did Pharoah son? why kill his son when it was Pharoah who was disobeying GOD plus I noticed that in many of the encounters between Pharoah and Moses GOD told Moses he would "HARDEN" Pharoahs heart so he would "NOT OBEY" the Lord's command to release his people so that he could show his power. So if GOD is purposely causing Pharoah to disobey by "hardening" his heart what's the reason for tormenting everyone with plaques,locust and death?

A. God is our creator and has the right to do anything He pleases with us. But He's also just and fair and does nothing trivial. In the past He has punished rebellious people to teach us lessons. For example, Nadab and Abihu were priests in leadership positions who disobeyed specific instructions on proper worship. (Leviticus 10:1) And 1 Samuel 24:1 says that the Lord was angry with Israel, not David.

Pharaoh had the audacity to proclaim himself to be a god and allowed the people to worship Him. He challenged God's authority, refusing to back down even when his own officials advised him to, (Exodus 8:19) and was defeated. He brought everything that happened to him, his family, and his people on himself through his own pride. Like all the children, Pharaoh's son belonged to God and went to be with Him. I assure you they're not complaining.

The Egyptians were worshiping other false gods as well. They had known God at one time, but had abandoned him in favor of their false gods which were embodied in the animals that died. Killing them proved to the Egyptians that the God of Israel is superior to their gods.

Now, what's the point of this? Are you challenging God's right to do these things like the people in your examples did? Look what it got them. As Paul wrote in 1 Cor. 10:11, "These things happened to them as examples and were written down as warnings for us, on whom the fulfillment of the ages has come." You have a little knowledge, enough to be dangerous. Now learn what God has done for you to spare you from the judgments He will soon bring upon those who have rejected Him in our time.

Back