Give the Person Above You a Codename

Eric Nicholas

My particular job in the Air Force was considered to be one where myself and my colleagues had a higher probability of ending up behind enemies lines and possibly being captured, and that was during the cold war. I bought and carried a dagger which I fastened to one of my boots, much like I carried a small 38 on my ankle as a backup when I was a police officer. I still have that dagger and can share that the only blood ever drawn from it was my own. It's hard to even handle those things without cutting yourself. If Eric had sharpened that dagger for me back in the day I'd probably be missing a few fingers...
Hahaha! Honestly? You are probably right and the reason that I say that is I have nearly a whole pamphlet of stories from people who's blades that I've sharpened with tales of their misfortune. It never fails, either. I'll always get a call or hear through the grapevine regarding the misfortune when handle them. I think that happens because they get so used to a dull edge that they get careless with it, hence, they develop those bad habits. I told one of those stories here about how the switchblade I tuned up for him, disengaged and cut through his pants and fell on the restaurant floor, which was the funniest by far.

This isn't one of the most gross stories, rather just a "What and why in the world did you just do that?" type of story. So, this guy named "Buddy James" wanted one of his blades sharpened. Of course, since I did this as a hobby and become quite good at it, I said okay, sure. Anyway, this is a quick one. I brought him the knife and I watched him open it and he took his thumb and ran it right up the edge. I watched his thumb split open and it was so fast and clean that no blood came out of it for a moment. It was a nasty, nasty wound. He shrugged his shoulders and sighed and said "I didn't know it was going to be that sharp." :eek2

I watched that and was like whatttttttt? Why? He knew I was good at it, but I guess he had to see for himself. I have so many of these silly stories.

AnewcreationinJesus

Soon and very soon ....
Hahaha! Honestly? You are probably right and the reason that I say that is I have nearly a whole pamphlet of stories from people who's blades that I've sharpened with tales of their misfortune. It never fails, either. I'll always get a call or hear through the grapevine regarding the misfortune when handle them. I think that happens because they get so used to a dull edge that they get careless with it, hence, they develop those bad habits. I told one of those stories here about how the switchblade I tuned up for him, disengaged and cut through his pants and fell on the restaurant floor, which was the funniest by far.

This isn't one of the most gross stories, rather just a "What and why in the world did you just do that?" type of story. So, this guy named "Buddy James" wanted one of his blades sharpened. Of course, since I did this as a hobby and become quite good at it, I said okay, sure. Anyway, this is a quick one. I brought him the knife and I watched him open it and he took his thumb and ran it right up the edge. I watched his thumb split open and it was so fast and clean that no blood came out of it for a moment. It was a nasty, nasty wound. He shrugged his shoulders and sighed and said "I didn't know it was going to be that sharp." :eek2

I watched that and was like whatttttttt? Why? He knew I was good at it, but I guess he had to see for himself. I have so many of these silly stories.
Bleurgh??!!! Why on earth did he do that ??!!!!

I shan't be asking you to sharpen my "roast dinner" carving knife then!!

In fact - I may not have made it on to this here forum - back in oh 2016 or thereabouts, I lived in "the house that Jack built" (a ramshackle affair) annnnnd the kitchen light bulb had decided it didn't want to work anymore so I had the hall light on to see what I was doing ....anyway I was preparing chicken, carrying the knife across the kitchen ....and tripped can't remember if something had been left on the floor . ...

It could have indeed gone straight through me ...

Well - I really really wouldn't have wanted to exit stage right in that way!!

Last edited:

Eric Nicholas

Bleurgh??!!! Why on earth did he do that ??!!!!

I shan't be asking you to sharpen my "roast dinner" carving knife then!!

In fact - I may not have made it on to this here forum - back in oh 2016 or thereabouts, I lived in "the house that Jack built" (a ramshackle affair) annnnnd the kitchen light bulb had decided it didn't want to work anymore so I had the hall light on to see what I was doing ....anyway I was preparing chicken, carrying the knife across the kitchen ....and tripped can't remember if something had been left on the floor . ...

Well - I really really wouldn't have wanted to exit stage right in that way!!
Oooooo! That's a close one... Glad you made it out with your spleen, eh?

Yeah, I do not know why he did it, but alas... I used to get paid doing it, even though it was just a hobby. It's nice to make some money at a hobby you enjoy, so it never felt like work.

Two of the bloodiest and nastiest incidents happened with my mom and my former step-dad. She wanted to see the knife I was working on and she tried to strop it on the leather, which for some reason she was just adamant about doing. Anyway, I do not know how she did it but she let that blade crawl right up under the back of her thumbnail and it peeled it upward off of the skin. It was soooo nasty and gruesome.

The other happened to my former step-dad. Well, it was an old school gentlemen's knife that I glossed up for him. Well during playtime with the dangerous object, he went to close the knife and he had his finger near the recess where the blade would rest in. Well, he lost the entire tip of his finger and my second brother almost vomited and briefly fainted.

I just glittered up some kitchen blades for the ladies at the local elementary school a few days ago. I am waiting to hear back... :heh

AnewcreationinJesus

Soon and very soon ....
Oooooo! That's a close one... Glad you made it out with your spleen, eh?

Yeah, I do not know why he did it, but alas... I used to get paid doing it, even though it was just a hobby. It's nice to make some money at a hobby you enjoy, so it never felt like work.

Two of the bloodiest and nastiest incidents happened with my mom and my former step-dad. She wanted to see the knife I was working on and she tried to strop it on the leather, which for some reason she was just adamant about doing. Anyway, I do not know how she did it but she let that blade crawl right up under the back of her thumbnail and it peeled it upward off of the skin. It was soooo nasty and gruesome.

The other happened to my former step-dad. Well, it was an old school gentlemen's knife that I glossed up for him. Well during playtime with the dangerous object, he went to close the knife and he had his finger near the recess where the blade would rest in. Well, he lost the entire tip of his finger and my second brother almost vomited and briefly fainted.

I just glittered up some kitchen blades for the ladies at the local elementary school a few days ago. I am waiting to hear back... :heh
Yeeeeeeeah that was the "House of Fun" (oh dear!!!!) ...the landlord left windows in the garden (as in full windows ready to be fit into someones house) and we had a few incidents of light bulbs literally falling out missing people's heads by inches ....

Gosh I think I read that through my fingers!! :) sounds gross enough reading never mind witnessing the said events ....

Gosh - I can see you penning "Observations of a Knife Sharpener" at this rate :)

As for me I could pen "Annoying Millenial Generation Householders with Keyboard Practice" ...gosh she was wound up enough to yell "MUM!!!!!" at me ....

Eric Nicholas

Gosh I think I read that through my fingers!! :) sounds gross enough reading never mind witnessing the said events ....

Gosh - I can see you penning "Observations of a Knife Sharpener" at this rate :)

As for me I could pen "Annoying Millenial Generation Householders with Keyboard Practice" ...gosh she was wound up enough to yell "MUM!!!!!" at me ....
Hahahaha, yikes. I hope you get some peace and quiet at some point. Lot of people in your household?

AnewcreationinJesus

Soon and very soon ....
Hahahaha, yikes. I hope you get some peace and quiet at some point. Lot of people in your household?
Well am currently meant to be ordering the boooooooooooring weekly online shop - but would much rather have fun on here!

Well to quote the band Madness again "there's always something happening and it's usually quite loud"...whether it's devices or loud metal music blasted downstairs or dd loud phone convs with her mates or the usual yell of "Mum please can I have (insert here)" .. it is a madhouse of hullabaloo that's for sure...my contribution to the noise is of course keyboard practice ;) well my next door but one neighbour plays ukelele and nextdoor but two plays harmonica so it isn't always your typical quiet English village here lol :)

Eric Nicholas

Well am currently meant to be ordering the boooooooooooring weekly online shop - but would much rather have fun on here!

Well to quote the band Madness again "there's always something happening and it's usually quite loud"...whether it's devices or loud metal music blasted downstairs or dd loud phone convs with her mates or the usual yell of "Mum please can I have (insert here)" .. it is a madhouse of hullabaloo that's for sure...my contribution to the noise is of course keyboard practice ;)
Well, I'm gad that you have some countermeasures for the noise. I used to live in a home with six people growing up. Then I lived alone for about 10 years. Now it's just us three. Lots go on in those fam homes. Lots. Ha!

AnewcreationinJesus

Soon and very soon ....
Well, I'm gad that you have some countermeasures for the noise. I used to live in a home with six people growing up. Then I lived alone for about 10 years. Now it's just us three. Lots go on in those fam homes. Lots. Ha!
Yikes you have had a variety of different house situations :) I have five cousins on my dad's side (the infamous Knebel temper) - my uncle, aunt and 5 cousins and a variety of animals (rabbits, Jess the dog and Mr Darcy the cat) all shared a house and I loved staying there as a kid but gosh the house seemed full!!

This house is a little English village cottage which is a squeeze for a family of 4 so any noise seems magnified x4 .....my unofficial "office" is the landing which is full of notes - home school note's, Bible notes, keyboard practice notes ...

You know you live in noisy territory when you crave peace and quiet in the bathroom :)

Eric Nicholas

Yikes you have had a variety of different house situations :) I have five cousins on my dad's side (the infamous Knebel temper) - my uncle, aunt and 5 cousins and a variety of animals (rabbits, Jess the dog and Mr Darcy the cat) all shared a house and I loved staying there as a kid but gosh the house seemed full!!

This house is a little English village cottage which is a squeeze for a family of 4 so any noise seems magnified x4 .....my unofficial "office" is the landing which is full of notes - home school note's, Bible notes, keyboard practice notes ...

You know you live in noisy territory when you crave peace and quiet in the bathroom :)
Yeah, you are exactly right regarding that last statement. I love that the temper in your family has a name. Hahahahahaha!