Give Thanks To God

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Give Thanks To God
By Nathele Graham

“O give thanks unto the LORD, for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever. Let the redeemed of the LORD say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;” – Psalm 107:1-2.

It’s good to give thanks to God for everything. Most children are taught at a very young age to thank people for kindness, but we especially need to learn to give thanks to God. People may fill a need for a moment, but God fills our eternity forever. God has given us everything. He’s given us the world and all that’s in it, but mostly He’s given us the way to eternal life. In terms of importance, eternal life should be what we are the most thankful for Think of what our salvation cost God. The Creator of the universe stepped into His creation in order to give the only way to bridge the gap between lost sinners and the Eternal God. He gave us a gift that only He can give. It’s a free gift given in perfect love. All anybody has to do is turn to Jesus and accept that gift. When you’ve done that, your heart should be filled with gratitude. In both good times and bad, our heart should be filled with thanks. The good times add to our joy in the Lord, and the bad times cannot take our salvation away.

“In every thing give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.” – 1 Thessalonians 5:18.

Scripture doesn’t say to be thankful “for” everything, but “in” everything. The world today can send some very frightening and unhappy things our way. Even though pestilence threatens our well-being, or we face financial ruin, or health issues bring fear, try praising God and thanking Him in spite of the situation in your life. You’ll find that praising God will strengthen your spirit and give you hope.

As we look into the past, we can see many periods of history where lawlessness, war, disease, famine, and more seems to have threatened life and safety. There have always been evil men and women who have tried to block God’s people from praising Him. All of the evil in this world is driven by Satan. He wants worship for himself, and will try to draw your worship away from God. Sometimes it’s easy to allow our minds and hearts to stray from God. Only He deserves our thanks and praise.

“I will praise the name of God with a song, and will magnify him with thanksgiving.” – Psalm 69:30.

Psalm 69 is one of many Psalms which King David wrote when he was in much distress. He began this Psalm by saying:

“Save me, O God; for the waters are come in unto my soul. I sink in deep mire, where there is no standing: I am come into deep waters, where the floods overflow me. I am weary of my crying: my throat is dried: mine eyes fail while I wait for my God. They that hate me without a cause are more than the hairs of mine head: they that would destroy me, being mine enemies wrongfully, are mighty: then I restored that which I took not away.” – Psalm 69:1-4.

Have you ever felt like that? I have. David was in deep despair, but as he poured out his heart to God, he allowed God to change his heart. He turned his thoughts to the Lord and His love. As King David voiced his anguish, his overwhelming despair turned to words of praise. David knew that animal sacrifices were an important part of the Law, but the praise of his lips was more pleasing to God.

“This also shall please the LORD better than an ox or bullock that hath horns and hoofs. The humble shall see this, and be glad: and your heart shall live that seek God.” – Psalm 69:31-32.

Next time you’re in the depths of despair, try thanking God and praising Him. It just might turn your sorrow to joy.

Christians have a special reason for joy in the Lord. Sin had separated mankind from God and the only way to restore fellowship was for God to shed His own blood. God’s love is pure and perfect.

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.” – John 3:16-17.

When you stop and really think about those words, your heart should be filled with praise and thanksgiving. Because Jesus, God incarnate, willingly gave His life as the once for all sacrifice for sin, so you and I can have everlasting life. All you have to do is admit you’re a sinner and that you cannot obtain eternal life by your own efforts. Only the pure blood of Jesus, which He shed on the cross, can bring eternal life for anyone who asks.

“As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him: rooted and built up in him and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.” – Colossians 2:6-7.

Those are wise words from the Apostle Paul. God’s free gift of salvation should not be taken lightly.

King David looked forward to the coming Redeemer. He had many rough times in his life. He was known as a man after God’s own heart, and God greatly blessed him. David’s desire was to honor God in his life, but he had many struggles and failures at various times during his life. Just like us, his choices caused his failures. His greatest failure came because he followed the lust of his heart. Bathsheba, a married woman, caught his eye, and he impregnated her. This sin was compounded by even worse choices. David made sure her husband, a faithful soldier in his army, was stationed where he was sure to be killed in battle. Yes, the man after God’s own heart was guilty of adultery and murder. Both of those sins were punishable by death under the Law. When King David fully understood the depth of his sin, he turned to the Lord for mercy. He turned to God in earnest prayer.

“Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me. Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.” – Psalm 51:10-12.

David was genuinely repentant and sought God’s forgiveness, and he found it. It was a real possibility that God would have removed the Holy Spirit from David’s life and taken His hand of protection away. Because of David’s heartfelt repentance, God forgave him. King David gave thanks and worshipped God for the rest of his life. Christians have more to be thankful for than David. The Holy Spirit is sealed within us. At the moment of our genuine acceptance of Christ’s sacrifice for our sin – accepting the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ for the atonement for our sin – our salvation is assured. If that isn’t something to be thankful for, then maybe you haven’t truly understood what a special gift He has given to you. No matter what trials you are facing or what fear grips your heart, give thanks to God.

“But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.” – Romans 5:8.

Without Christ, salvation and eternal life is impossible.

No matter what happens in the world, God is still with us. Talk to Him about your fears and listen for His answers.

“And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.” – Colossians 3:15.

Give thanks to God.

God bless you all,

Nathele Graham
[email protected]
[email protected]

All original scripture is “theopneustos” God breathed.

If you’d like to be on my mailing list to receive the commentaries just drop me an email and let me know.

https://www.raptureforums.com/ron-nathele-graham/give-thanks-to-god/

Back