Giant blob of seaweed twice the width of US taking aim at Florida, scientists say

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Giant blob of seaweed twice the width of US taking aim at Florida, scientists say
The impending seaweed comes as Floridians along the state's southwest coast have complained about burning eyes and breathing problems
By Bradford Betz | FoxNews

A giant seaweed bloom – so large it can be seen from outer space – may be headed towards Florida’s Gulf Coast. The sargassum bloom, at around 5,000 miles wide, is twice the width of the United States and is believed to be the largest in history. Drifting between the Atlantic coast of Africa and the Gulf of Mexico, the thick mat of algae can provide a habitat for marine life and absorb carbon dioxide.

more............. https://www.foxnews.com/us/giant-blob-seaweed-twice-width-us-taking-aim-florida-scientists-say#

DWB

I don't believe in climate change. But I grew up less than 3 hours from the Florida panhandle. I visited multiple times each year from the mid 1960's thru the mid 1980's and the beaches and water were always clean. Now, after moving north to Tennessee I only go once a year at the most, and the last 10 years or so the water always has some algae and seaweed floating around making that beautiful white sand look nasty. Last time I went was before Covid, and you were covered with green slimy stuff coming out of the water ruining the whole trip. I was planning to go late this summer, but now I may go somewhere else where there is some clean water.

kathymendel

I don't believe in climate change. But I grew up less than 3 hours from the Florida panhandle. I visited multiple times each year from the mid 1960's thru the mid 1980's and the beaches and water were always clean. Now, after moving north to Tennessee I only go once a year at the most, and the last 10 years or so the water always has some algae and seaweed floating around making that beautiful white sand look nasty. Last time I went was before Covid, and you were covered with green slimy stuff coming out of the water ruining the whole trip. I was planning to go late this summer, but now I may go somewhere else where there is some clean water.
Perhaps a good time to come visit our southern California beaches??? They are generally clean and beautiful..........

Back