Getting in Shape

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
Minor correction - they were not yet Marines, still in boot camp.

Fun times being a Drill Instructor, long 16 hour days for 11 weeks at a time, but still fun.
I imagine you would have broken a few arrogant people LOL.

I use to to have an army reserve guy train with us who was a decent 400m runner, he use to say becuase of his 400m background, he would coast the long runs because he would lead the group by a long way.

When his sargent caught on, he made him run double the distance as punishment.

Then the following run when he made an effort to run to his actual ability and the sargent saw just how much quicker his time was, he copped more punishments LOL

Andy C

I imagine you would have broken a few arrogant people LOL.

I use to to have an army reserve guy train with us who was a decent 400m runner, he use to say becuase of his 400m background, he would coast the long runs because he would lead the group by a long way.

When his sargent caught on, he made him run double the distance as punishment.

Then the following run when he made an effort to run to his actual ability and the sargent saw just how much quicker his time was, he copped more punishments LOL
I went for a 4 mile run this morning for my first run in 3 weeks. This run proved to me my ellipitcal was a good investment. I ran all 4 miles slightly faster than my average pace pre ellipitcal, and my last mile was 40 seconds faster. The ellipitical we bought was more expensive than most, but I picked it because it comes close to mimicking the same stride as running. Most ellipticals go straight up and down, but the one we have, the Matrix A50 moves in an arc, similar to running. I now plan on running 3 days and week, and 3 days on the elliptical.

65 is a big number for age, but its not near as bad as I thought it would be when I was 40.

God has blessed me by allowing me to keep doing what I enjoy, and not let age get in the way. I train smarter, not harder.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
I went for a 4 mile run this morning for my first run in 3 weeks. This run proved to me my ellipitcal was a good investment. I ran all 4 miles slightly faster than my average pace pre ellipitcal, and my last mile was 40 seconds faster. The ellipitical we bought was more expensive than most, but I picked it because it comes close to mimicking the same stride as running. Most ellipticals go straight up and down, but the one we have, the Matrix A50 moves in an arc, similar to running. I now plan on running 3 days and week, and 3 days on the elliptical.

65 is a big number for age, but its not near as bad as I thought it would be when I was 40.

God has blessed me by allowing me to keep doing what I enjoy, and not let age get in the way. I train smarter, not harder.

Excellent, also amazing how some cross training can benefit into your routine as well as you've demonstrated

Andy C

Excellent, also amazing how some cross training can benefit into your routine as well as you've demonstrated
Are you back, or close to 100 percent from your leg injury?

Im staying consistent…..6 hours of hard cardio this week, and 2.5 hours of weight lifting. My weight lifting sessions are short workouts of approx 35 minutes, 7 sets per muscle group, 60 seconds in between each set.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
Are you back, or close to 100 percent from your leg injury?

Im staying consistent…..6 hours of hard cardio this week, and 2.5 hours of weight lifting. My weight lifting sessions are short workouts of approx 35 minutes, 7 sets per muscle group, 60 seconds in between each set.
I think may seasons over (Lol it never even started) as i have an inflammation injury near my pelvic bone that attaches to the adductor muscle which is known as Osteitis pubis.

With that injury you need to rest a lot and strengthen the stabilising muscles in the hips.
Do you find that your weightliftimg has improved since.cutting down on your running?

Andy C

I think may seasons over (Lol it never even started) as i have an inflammation injury near my pelvic bone that attaches to the adductor muscle which is known as Osteitis pubis.

With that injury you need to rest a lot and strengthen the stabilising muscles in the hips.
Do you find that your weightliftimg has improved since.cutting down on your running?
Im not trying to get stronger, just maintaining my current strength. In the past, gaining or losing weight was always easy by simply adjusting my miles.

It was tempting to see how much stronger I can get at 65, but then the thought of injuries for being stupid kicked in. My life plan is being as active as I am now until my last breath or rapture. In order to do so, smart adjustments to my training need to be altered every year or so. The younger part of my brain always says “go for it wuss”, but the older part of my brain says “look in the mirror pops”. :D

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
Thank God my Osteitis pubis injury is settling down a bit.

I've certainly had to swallow my pride in the gym and be restricted to core stabilisng exercises on the swiss ball

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
Lol the Lord might be having pity on me now as u hit some Pr's in training despite only doin 1 proper all out session due to being injured for 3 weeks.

I said a prayer to at least let me be able to compete at national champs or have 1 comp as i paid $150 just for registration to compete this season which i haven't been able to do so far because of these injuries.

Praise God that my body is slowly coming good, i just have to be patient and take things progessively

Andy C

Im slowly increasing my weight lifting, while slightly decreasing cardio. At age 65, I want to see how much muscle I can add throughout my body.
I do enjoy a good weight lifting session, then immediately get on the elliptical for 45-75 minutes. I have been on a roller coaster the last 6 months on deciding what training I want to focus on the most. Regardless of how many changes I have made, Im still consistently exercising at least 8-9 hours a week.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
The Lord gave me a fitness test today
There wereplenty of white wash and dumpers at the beach and all i seemed tk be doing was diving under waves and holding my breath just to get out to where the waves were breaking

Andy C

Today was just a legs and stomach workout. After completing 10 mins of fast paced abs workout, I lifted my shirt to look in the mirror, and all I could see were numerous bulges protruding from inside my stomach from way to much garlic bread at dinner last night. o_O