Getting in Shape

Lastcall

Well you know what they say - "Eat Right, Stay Healthy, Die Anyway"

But to really loose weight go on a low-carb diet - meat, not deep fried or coated like fried chicken, the coating has a lot of carbs, no pasta or grains also loaded with carbs, no vegtables that grow below ground, they also have lots of carbs (i.e potatoes, turnips, carrots and the like) if it is white on the inside do not eat it except for cauliflower. The problem is not calories it is the carbs
I disagree. Carbs are essential if your doing a high volume amount of exercise. Keto diet is against carbs, which is why I think the diet is not effective.

https://www.issaonline.com/blog/index.cfm/2019/nutrition-for-endurance

Lastcall

But if you are not doing a high volume of exercise then does it matter? All diets are only as effective as to what you are putting into it.
Thats true, thats why I believe most people cant follow diets, especially restrictive diets.

Workout more, cut back on calories, this formula has worked for decades.

Fad diets sold in stores, or on line, count on failures for their bottom line. Its too hard to maintain the willpower to radically change a diet, and expect to continue on for years.

Success is not changing what you normally eat, just cut back on portions. Yes, you may have to seriously cut back on pure junk food, but no need to totally eliminate.

For those that cant really exercise due to severe physical problems, than yes, a diet is important to follow.

Armor of Light

Praising my Savior all the day long!
I like to mix up my workouts, I don't like to feel I'm in a rut doing the same old routine. Examples, Friday walked 3 miles on treadmill between 3mph and 3.3 mph carrying 8lb dumbbell in each hand. Saturday did a speed walk on treadmill 3.5-3.9 mph and did inclines for 5 minutes intervals, no dumbbells, Sunday no work outs. Monday walked have mile fairly quick and then jogged 3 miles. Today speed walk for 5 minutes then jogged 2.5 miles at 4-5 mph and then did weight work for 30 minutes.
Breakfast smoothie with 1 greek yogurt, 1/2 a peach, 1/2 pear, 1/4 cup strawberries, 1/4 cup blueberries and a couple other items, and a small bowl cream of wheat, sometimes oatmeal.
Lunch today 3 slices of turkey rolled in a tortilla with some ranch on it(was out fishing and normally eat a little more)
Dinner will be biggest meal of the day, some protein with beef or chicken, and some mixed veggies, we liked some sliced taters , sliced yellow onions, broccoli, cauliflower, long green beans , 2 cloves garlic chopped, asparagus all in a pan with a little butter and olive oil. Brown it a little then put it under the broiler with some parmesan cheese and oregano/salt/pepper and slice cherry tomatoes.
Eating like this and a workout routine has allowed me to drop from 219 lbs to 168lb, it works for me, and DW too, she has lost 45 lbs.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
Yes! Most dont realize the amount of calories that are burned during exercise. A typical man who weighs 180 pounds will burn approx 120 calories per mile ran on a 3 mile run. Thats only the equivalent of 2 pieces of toast with a tiny amount of butter on one piece. Weight lifting is probably less than half that amount of calories burned during the same amount of time as the run would take. My point is this - running a 3 mile run will cause many to feel they burned a HUGE amount of calories, thus justifying a bigger breakfast than normal.

Below is an online calculator that shows how many calories you burn based on the activity you are doing and your height, weight, sex, age.

https://www.freedieting.com/calories-burned

If trying to lose weight, if you burn approx 400-500 calories a day through exercise, and drop about 500 calories day for your a average calorie consumption, thats a net loss of approx 1000 calories a day. Over a 7 day period, you would lose approx 2 pounds of body fat. That may not sound like much, but it adds up over a period of several months. 2-3 pounds of weight loss a week is what most sports Drs recommend. Anyone can starve themseleces for a week or so, and lose a lot more than 2-3 pounds, but they wont keep it up very long, and the rebound effect will happen, the weight returns, and brings along a few additional pounds.

It all comes back to being consistent in both exercise and diet.

Log books have always helped me with exercise. I have logged in my training diary every run or weight lifting session for the last 4 decades. The log book is like a training partner for me. I have my weekly schedule, and it feels good logging in each day when I hit my goal. Plus, it keeps track for me what I did over the last month, and I can reflect on if I made the right progress, or if I need to make changes to my daily routine. Seldom do I not hit my daily goal, and it feels awful ending the day without an entry in my log book.

I do the same thing as well in relation to having a training diary,it's definitely a good motivator to see yourself improving and what was working

GEOINTAnalyst

Thats true, thats why I believe most people cant follow diets, especially restrictive diets.

Workout more, cut back on calories, this formula has worked for decades.

Fad diets sold in stores, or on line, count on failures for their bottom line. Its too hard to maintain the willpower to radically change a diet, and expect to continue on for years.

Success is not changing what you normally eat, just cut back on portions. Yes, you may have to seriously cut back on pure junk food, but no need to totally eliminate.

For those that cant really exercise due to severe physical problems, than yes, a diet is important to follow.
Myself I cannot do alot of physical exercise because of a spinal injury when I was flying on AC-130 Spectre Gunships when I was in the Air Force, so a modified Keto works for me to keep the weight off

3 Nails 4 Given

Sinner saved by the blood of Jesus
My son has lost 109lbs. this year, with Keto and intense work outs at the gym. He’s always been a big boy, I’m 6’1 and he’s taller than me. I’ve always been big. I knew he had put on good bit of weight, but I didn’t realize it was that much.

Tonight the gym owner informed him he was going to have to close the gym, the losses from the Covid19 shutdown were too much to overcome.

There is a couple of other gyms and they’re trying to find a buyer, but if the guy looking doesn’t give a answer by Monday they’re closing the doors permanently.

Dave

Does anyone have any experience losing weight to get in shape?

I started going to the gym semi-regularly a couple months ago, but I've just been lifting weights. My muscles are getting bigger, which definitely makes me feel more manly (something I've been lacking in) and generally helps keep my mood from bottoming out and turning me into a mess with no motivation.

The issue is that I've only been gaining weight, because I just can't seem to stop stuffing my face. I understand putting on muscle puts on weight, but the fat hasn't gone anywhere.

I'm out of shape to the point cardio makes me feel like garbage for the entire rest of the day if I do it (I might have exercise induced asthma, too). Lifting weights also just makes me that much hungrier, but I enjoy lifting, so I'm not going to quit that. Better fat and strong than fat and weak.

Anyways, anyone want to talk weight lifting and/or weight loss?

Soft drinks are a big factor in trying to loose weight. I had to get off of them and lost quiet abit. Also fast food which I eat plenty of as well. When the lock downs began back in March, I went from 200 pounds to 183. Thats with cutting out Fast Food and Soft Drinks. I also did 30 burpees a day which was a challenge. I gained the weight back after the lockdowns though. I went back up to 196. Then had to get off the Cokes and went down to 191.

I got my own set of weights at home and never been to the gym. I been lifting off and on since my early 20s. I am not a bodybuilder. I just know working out relaxes me and helps me out mentally alot of times. I don't know what I am doing most of the time. I mainly just bench press and watch Athlean X on youtube. I don't follow a strict diet or anything. I done some research at one time and they say to burn more then what you eat. Getting off the soft drinks is an important key according to Jeff on Athlean X.

Batman

I just have to say that I love Coca Cola and even though I am very strong and able to drop anything it is hard to set aside one or two cups during the week. I can do it but sometimes choose other food choices to restrict even though the extremely high sugar content is not good at all; same for caffeine and acids.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
Soft drinks are a big factor in trying to loose weight. I had to get off of them and lost quiet abit. Also fast food which I eat plenty of as well. When the lock downs began back in March, I went from 200 pounds to 183. Thats with cutting out Fast Food and Soft Drinks. I also did 30 burpees a day which was a challenge. I gained the weight back after the lockdowns though. I went back up to 196. Then had to get off the Cokes and went down to 191.

I got my own set of weights at home and never been to the gym. I been lifting off and on since my early 20s. I am not a bodybuilder. I just know working out relaxes me and helps me out mentally alot of times. I don't know what I am doing most of the time. I mainly just bench press and watch Athlean X on youtube. I don't follow a strict diet or anything. I done some research at one time and they say to burn more then what you eat. Getting off the soft drinks is an important key according to Jeff on Athlean X.

I notice Jeff keeps his shirt on in his videos these days AHAHAHAHAH.

He's also a good physio apart from being the king of six packs

Dave

I notice Jeff keeps his shirt on in his videos these days AHAHAHAHAH.

He's also a good physio apart from being the king of six packs

I found his videos in a search on youtube. I work nights and have a weird work schedule so I watch these videos to learn. I don't watch all of his stuff just certain ones. Learn how to stand properly in lifting and stuff. I like working out when I can and learning new things. His stuff pops up alot in searches and recommended videos to watch.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun

I found his videos in a search on youtube. I work nights and have a weird work schedule so I watch these videos to learn. I don't watch all of his stuff just certain ones. Learn how to stand properly in lifting and stuff. I like working out when I can and learning new things. His stuff pops up alot in searches and recommended videos to watch.

Yeah he's pretty good and knows his stuff

Lastcall

I recently upgraded my 13 year old cell phone to a bigger smartphone. The new one no longer fits in my running shorts pocket. My wife found the solution and ordered me a “running buddy” which works great. The phone fits in a pouch and there is another piece that goes inside waist band, and magnets keep it closed and secure.

https://www.therunningbuddy.com/pro...MI-6DGufHz7AIVfj6tBh1U6QTsEAQYASABEgKkePD_BwE

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
I recently upgraded my 13 year old cell phone to a bigger smartphone. The new one no longer fits in my running shorts pocket. My wife found the solution and ordered me a “running buddy” which works great. The phone fits in a pouch and there is another piece that goes inside waist band, and magnets keep it closed and secure.

https://www.therunningbuddy.com/pro...MI-6DGufHz7AIVfj6tBh1U6QTsEAQYASABEgKkePD_BwE

Does that measure Heart rate and distance only or does it do other stuff as well ?

Lastcall

While out on a 6 mile run early this morning, I thought about how normal this feels, and mentally, I feel the same way I have for the last 4 decades. I certainly dont run as fast anymore, but it feels the same. After running tens of thousands of miles, I learned how to self entertain while running, but stay focused on my goals. Im a numbers guy, so every run is geared towards making my weekly mileage goal, then monthly goals, and finally the years goal. Its the same while lifting weights in my home gym. When I look in the mirrors (which lie), I still feel like I always have while lifting.

My addiction is physical activity, and its extremely rare to take a day off of exercising. I think God gave me the strength to quit an earlier in my life bad addiction, and replaced it with a drive to consistently work out.

Age 63 is the new 62..., :sad :biggrin2

Consistency is key in any physical activity. If you physically can exercise, do it today.

Lastcall

The hunger bit. Just making sure you weren't bottoming out while working out. But that's obviously something else. Anyways, did you have anything specific that you wanted to discuss regarding this topic?
Check out my new avatar, and zoom in on the round sign hanging above my center mirror. Thanks for the idea for the name of my home gym.

Yes, we both noted the typo on “Perservering” AFTER it was hung on the wall. The wife will fix it soon.