Getting in Shape

Andy C

My bike fix worked great.

Now Im working through a little tailbone pain. I looked up my favorite internet physical therapist “Ask Dr Jo”, and for the last few days I have been doing some tailbone stretches- who knew there were stretches for this area, but they work. No problem on todays slow paced 27 mile ride with my wife.

My next challenge is a 60 mile ride that I might do on Saturday. In Sept, if I have not fallen apart, my goal is a 100 mile ride.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
My bike fix worked great.

Now Im working through a little tailbone pain. I looked up my favorite internet physical therapist “Ask Dr Jo”, and for the last few days I have been doing some tailbone stretches- who knew there were stretches for this area, but they work. No problem on todays slow paced 27 mile ride with my wife.

My next challenge is a 60 mile ride that I might do on Saturday. In Sept, if I have not fallen apart, my goal is a 100 mile ride.
pose of the child is a good stretch for that as well as the 90/90 stretch which releases the piriformis muscle and lowerback as well

Andy C

That's the truth of it. When you're as old as Andy C you've got to keep moving while you can.
Today was my first run in 7 weeks. I have been cycling 5-6 days a week, but no runs. After my first few steps of running, my quads felt like bricks from all the riding, and I almost stopped. However, I kept going, and the first mile was approx 90 seconds slower than my average slow run pace, but on my fourth and final mile, I was up to my normal pace. My legs will probably barely get up on the bike tomorrow, but Im going to try riding one day, and cycling the next, for 3 days of each a week, with one day of rest.

Im glad I can still do this at my age, and that Im not YOUR age…. :lol

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Today was my first run in 7 weeks. I have been cycling 5-6 days a week, but no runs. After my first few steps of running, my quads felt like bricks from all the riding, and I almost stopped. However, I kept going, and the first mile was approx 90 seconds slower than my average slow run pace, but on my fourth and final mile, I was up to my normal pace. My legs will probably barely get up on the bike tomorrow, but Im going to try riding one day, and cycling the next, for 3 days of each a week, with one day of rest.

It's excellent that you can do all that physical activity at your advanced age. The health benefits have to be enormous. My doctor recently asked me why I run. I told her because I enjoy it and because it has lots of health benefits. I didn't mention that it also allows me to eat anything I want without gaining weight. She mentioned something about it must be the "runners high". I didn't respond to that because I think that has always been overblown. The only thing I feel when I'm done with my run is wore-outness...

I wouldn't be able to stop running and switch to another activity like bicycling only because there's nothing else I enjoy like running, especially trails. It's good that you can share the bicycling with your wife.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun

LOL that's the very reason my coach told me never to use the exercise bike in the gym or for rehab when injured as it affects your running style by making you more heavier and quad dominant which tends to put your hips in a tilted position when you run as opposed to your hips being in a neutral position which allows you to have a "tall" and relaxed running action

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
It's excellent that you can do all that physical activity at your advanced age. The health benefits have to be enormous. My doctor recently asked me why I run. I told her because I enjoy it and because it has lots of health benefits. I didn't mention that it also allows me to eat anything I want without gaining weight. She mentioned something about it must be the "runners high". I didn't respond to that because I think that has always been overblown. The only thing I feel when I'm done with my run is wore-outness...

I wouldn't be able to stop running and switch to another activity like bicycling only because there's nothing else I enjoy like running, especially trails. It's good that you can share the bicycling with your wife.
Runners high is for sprinters LOL

Andy C

It's the adrenaline of reacting to a gun and getting from point a to point b as fast as possible that gives the high as opposed to running non stop wondering when it's going to end :p
I was just teasing you, but the science is short bursts of running does not cause a runners high.
Me, I have been high for 40 plus year, high on long endurance runs, now its cycling.

When I was a youngster at age 52, I did alot of 20 mile plus runs, with the longest run 34 miles. Those times, I was definitely feeling the buzz.

https://marathonhandbook.com/runners-high/

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
I was just teasing you, but the science is short bursts of running does not cause a runners high.
Me, I have been high for 40 plus year, high on long endurance runs, now its cycling.

When I was a youngster at age 52, I did alot of 20 mile plus runs, with the longest run 34 miles. Those times, I was definitely feeling the buzz.

https://marathonhandbook.com/runners-high/
Yeah i gathered as much that you were taking the mickey a bit LOL

I could see howrunning on scenic type routes could give you that runners high feeling absorbing nature and being alone with your thoughts as you run, i can see how that aspect would have some sort of therapeutic effect

Andy C

Im going to start calling you the “Professor of doubt”.

Andy C

LOL that's the very reason my coach told me never to use the exercise bike in the gym or for rehab when injured as it affects your running style by making you more heavier and quad dominant which tends to put your hips in a tilted position when you run as opposed to your hips being in a neutral position which allows you to have a "tall" and relaxed running action
My legs were sore from cycling only, and not being used for almost 2 months of not running. A lot of distance runners cross train with cycling in order to improve their running. Back around 1990, when I was at my peak for running times, I added cycling for about 9-12 months, and my times increased for running races. My goal now is equal time on both the bike and running, without looking to set any records, just enjoying the cardio experience. I still enjoy pushing myself hard a few days a week, with the rest of the sessions, having fun. It might turn out my body is getting too old to do both, but it wont be from lack of a hard effort on my part.

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
I started taking an MMA class at the end of last week. I'm still getting winded easily from getting the plague a couple weeks ago, so I had to sit down at one point because my vision went black. Monday and Wednesday are jiu-jitsu, and Tuesday and Thursday are kickboxing. I'm debating whether I will look around for another gym or stick with this one, as it's rather small and doesn't have AC, just fans blowing from one side to another. It has a sort of hole-in-the-wall charm to it though. The jiu-jitsu is no-gi, which a lot of people prefer. But I'm not sure if they do belt promotions or not, which would be kind of nice. Pros and cons. I'm eager to do something to get moving, and I've always hated running.

pixelpusher

Since Taekwondo ended for me due to the covid insanity I've been focusing on kayak rolling and surfing (no mask required), really trying to make my offside rolls as smooth as my on-side. I built a new West Greenland skin-on-frame in July, and although this type of kayak is not particularly *good* for surfing, it is fun to make it work. I am amazed at how controllable this one is on a wave, even when the usually inevitable broach begins, you can edge hard the other way and recover it. Even take off almost beam onto the wave, and still pull it around. None of it is particularly great workout but it adds up. In the winter when the river calms down and the water gets to brain-freezing temps, I'll probably switch back to interval sprints.

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
Since Taekwondo ended for me due to the covid insanity I've been focusing on kayak rolling and surfing (no mask required), really trying to make my offside rolls as smooth as my on-side. I built a new West Greenland skin-on-frame in July, and although this type of kayak is not particularly *good* for surfing, it is fun to make it work. I am amazed at how controllable this one is on a wave, even when the usually inevitable broach begins, you can edge hard the other way and recover it. Even take off almost beam onto the wave, and still pull it around. None of it is particularly great workout but it adds up. In the winter when the river calms down and the water gets to brain-freezing temps, I'll probably switch back to interval sprints.

I used to do tkd back in middle and highschool and I loved it. That's what made me think of getting back into martial arts. I ended up going for mma because tkd doesn't have any grappling, and I think that looks really fun. I'll report back after my first jiu-jitsu class tonight whether I still think it looks fun haha.

I've never been a wrestler and was never interested when I was a kid, but I've gained respect for it now. It's a lot easier to compete in grappling without hurting a person than striking.

pixelpusher

But I'm not sure if they do belt promotions or not, which would be kind of nice.
Our dojang was kinda a McDojo, kinda not. The belt promotions were income generators. I'd almost say it is better to be in a gym where they really focus more on techniques and less on ranks. The belts generally don't mean much outside one's school system anyway, and mainly signified to the instructors what curriculum one had covered. In fact, I never tested again after reaching deputy black belt, I spent the last 8 years at that level. They won't teach you anything new, but I was still trying to get good at green belt techniques, to be honest. If I ever return to martial arts, I hope I can find a place a little more grounded in reality. Kicking was still a lot of fun tho, and that's primarily why I continued, and I enjoyed the repetition and flow of forms and trying to figure out applications. I did leave class with the dopamine high frequently. I never got into jiujitsu rolling cause I just don't want to be wrapped up in sweaty dude that close. We did some hapkido, which was not quite as intimate.

eta: mean to add I hope you enjoy it!

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
I never got into jiujitsu rolling cause I just don't want to be wrapped up in sweaty dude that close

That's half the fun! You share testosterone and it makes your muscles bigger. Normally testosterone dissipates into the air, but when you roll with a sweaty dude, you capture his.

Jokes aside, there's something about the physical competition that resonates with me on a primal level now, even though it didn't so much as a kid. I think men have a deep seated desire to be warrior-like, and that it isn't a bad thing. I can see the same motivation in weight lifting and sprinting. We want to be strong and fast, probably because we were made to be strong and fast. Being out of shape has done a number on my mental health, partially because I'm not living up to my potential. I think careers that don't allow a man to feel competent and provide do something similar. But I'm doing a lot of philosophizing.

The belts generally don't mean much outside one's school system anyway, and mainly signified to the instructors what curriculum one had covered

I was a year or so away from a black belt in tkd when I quit. I would like to get a black belt in something just for the sake of it, but it isn't a huge deal. Mainly I want to stop being so out of shape and exercise in a way I find fun and fulfilling.

Armor of Light

Praising my Savior all the day long!
I've never been a wrestler and was never interested when I was a kid, but I've gained respect for it now.
Personally I think wrestling and being in shape to wrestle full bore for 3 rounds of 2 minutes each makes it a grueling but rewarding sport. It takes some skill, balance. agility and strength and GOOD wind, if you get gassed no matter how strong you are you will lose. I loved the workouts and the matches, and getting your arm raised in victory was a great feeling especially in a super hard bout where one small mistake between two great wrestlers was the difference in a W or a L after 6 minutes.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
I started taking an MMA class at the end of last week. I'm still getting winded easily from getting the plague a couple weeks ago, so I had to sit down at one point because my vision went black. Monday and Wednesday are jiu-jitsu, and Tuesday and Thursday are kickboxing. I'm debating whether I will look around for another gym or stick with this one, as it's rather small and doesn't have AC, just fans blowing from one side to another. It has a sort of hole-in-the-wall charm to it though. The jiu-jitsu is no-gi, which a lot of people prefer. But I'm not sure if they do belt promotions or not, which would be kind of nice. Pros and cons. I'm eager to do something to get moving, and I've always hated running.
If you're doing jiu jitsu, make sure you're stretching a lot, when you're rolling etc your body get put in some real uncomfortable positions that it's not meant to be in

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
Our dojang was kinda a McDojo, kinda not. The belt promotions were income generators. I'd almost say it is better to be in a gym where they really focus more on techniques and less on ranks. The belts generally don't mean much outside one's school system anyway, and mainly signified to the instructors what curriculum one had covered. In fact, I never tested again after reaching deputy black belt, I spent the last 8 years at that level. They won't teach you anything new, but I was still trying to get good at green belt techniques, to be honest. If I ever return to martial arts, I hope I can find a place a little more grounded in reality. Kicking was still a lot of fun tho, and that's primarily why I continued, and I enjoyed the repetition and flow of forms and trying to figure out applications. I did leave class with the dopamine high frequently. I never got into jiujitsu rolling cause I just don't want to be wrapped up in sweaty dude that close. We did some hapkido, which was not quite as intimate.

eta: mean to add I hope you enjoy it!
You mean to say you had Sensei Ken as your teacher LOL.

Muay Thai or kickboxing is probably one of your more practical martial arts for real life i reckon but i do love watching a good Mc Dojo fail video every now and again LOL