Getting in Shape

Lastcall

I bought a new bike and what a difference, pedaling with the same energy as on the old one, averaging about 3 MPH faster.

I did not truly understand how taxing my daily runs were on my legs until I stopped running 8 days ago. Cycling makes them feel stronger, and less fatigued throughout each day.

My cycling problem will be forcing myself to gradually transistion, vice going hard on day one.

I never thought I would enjoy riding as much as I do, especially since the majority of my rides will be with my wife! Plus, this whacky liberal state does have its strong points such as beautiful scenery, and hardened bike trails everywhere. There is no need to fight any traffic on the main roads which makes riding that much safer.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
I bought a new bike and what a difference, pedaling with the same energy as on the old one, averaging about 3 MPH faster.

I did not truly understand how taxing my daily runs were on my legs until I stopped running 8 days ago. Cycling makes them feel stronger, and less fatigued throughout each day.

My cycling problem will be forcing myself to gradually transistion, vice going hard on day one.

I never thought I would enjoy riding as much as I do, especially since the majority of my rides will be with my wife! Plus, this whacky liberal state does have its strong points such as beautiful scenery, and hardened bike trails everywhere. There is no need to fight any traffic on the main roads which makes riding that much safer.

Make sure you stretch your quad muscles right after you ride so you maintain decent mobility, you don't want to be too "quad dominant" when doing normal things such as walking

Lastcall

Make sure you stretch your quad muscles right after you ride so you maintain decent mobility, you don't want to be too "quad dominant" when doing normal things such as walking
I do a good stretch. Actually, I have stretched more over the last few years than ever before. As I get older, I know stretching is key if I want to continue to be athletic for many more years.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
I do a good stretch. Actually, I have stretched more over the last few years than ever before. As I get older, I know stretching is key if I want to continue to be athletic for many more years.
That's great, the sports massage therapist that i see every month has told me the same thing to stretch everyday because as we get older we lose mobility and strength .

Good to see that you're also proactive on your recovery/prehab

Lastcall

That's great, the sports massage therapist that i see every month has told me the same thing to stretch everyday because as we get older we lose mobility and strength .

Good to see that you're also proactive on your recovery/prehab
I have also being using a “tens” unit on my neck and shoulders post ride. I did watch a few videos yesterday on causes of neck and shoulder stiffness from riding, and made the corrections on my riding posture on this mornings 14 mile ride. Smooth ride, my fastest yet.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
I have also being using a “tens” unit on my neck and shoulders post ride. I did watch a few videos yesterday on causes of neck and shoulder stiffness from riding, and made the corrections on my riding posture on this mornings 14 mile ride. Smooth ride, my fastest yet.
They're excellent little things those "tens machines" especially rehabbing injuries

Lastcall

My wife and I rode 18 miles this morning, then I did an additional 5 more for a total of 23 miles. My form is getting better, and my “saddle” soreness is getting much better, and my neck and shoulders are even doing better.

I have watched several videos on riding technique, and they are paying off.

The last time I rode was in 1991, and I looked up the same model as the bike I had from 1991, and what a huge difference in the gears, brakes, and overall ride ability as compared to my old bike.

Im learning the importance of a proper saddle (seat) that is the right width for my “sit bones”.

I have not run for over 2 weeks, which is by far the longest break I have had in over 40 years.

I rode 81 miles last week, and after tomorrows ride, should have 85 this week. We or me, are not breaking any speed records, but were also not just cruising along. When I ride with my wife, she sets the pace for the entire ride.

Im getting a heart rate monitor later today so I can ensure Im at the ideal heartbeats per minute, equivalent to what it would be on my normal daily runs.

Riding at 65, and loving this new adventure!

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
My wife and I rode 18 miles this morning, then I did an additional 5 more for a total of 23 miles. My form is getting better, and my “saddle” soreness is getting much better, and my neck and shoulders are even doing better.

I have watched several videos on riding technique, and they are paying off.

The last time I rode was in 1991, and I looked up the same model as the bike I had from 1991, and what a huge difference in the gears, brakes, and overall ride ability as compared to my old bike.

Im learning the importance of a proper saddle (seat) that is the right width for my “sit bones”.

I have not run for over 2 weeks, which is by far the longest break I have had in over 40 years.

I rode 81 miles last week, and after tomorrows ride, should have 85 this week. We or me, are not breaking any speed records, but were also not just cruising along. When I ride with my wife, she sets the pace for the entire ride.

Im getting a heart rate monitor later today so I can ensure Im at the ideal heartbeats per minute, equivalent to what it would be on my normal daily runs.

Riding at 65, and loving this new adventure!
How does the body feel immediately after you get off the bike when you finish a ride ?

Lastcall

How does the body feel immediately after you get off the bike when you finish a ride ?
Legs feel a little pumped, but I walk for a few minutes before I stretch. With my riding techniques getting better, Im not as stiff as when I finished my first few rides. Also, my cycling cadence is getting better, and I try to stay between 80-90 RPMs. When I first started, cadence was at about 60, which means I was using a gear which was too hard on my legs and did not allow me to maintain it for long periods.

Whenever I start a new activity, I do as much research as possible to enusre my efforts are not being wasted. It can be very frustrating to do some activity for weeks, only to find out later you were either doing it wrong, or not as efficient as it could have been. For many, finding time to exercise is precious, so why not get the most bang for your efforts!

Its still kind of strange to me to be 5 years from 70, yet still wanting to learn a new sport, and studying how to do it in the most efficient manner possible. Being 65 is not what I thought it would be like when I was in my young 20s.

For all those my age or younger and even older, find a physical activity, and keep with it, it pays off when you become a “senior”. You’re never too old for some form of exercise.

I start everday with my bible reading before I do anything else, followed an hour later by the days workout. Consistency in both with the bible being the top priority has paid off big time in my daily walk with Him.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
Legs feel a little pumped, but I walk for a few minutes before I stretch. With my riding techniques getting better, Im not as stiff as when I finished my first few rides. Also, my cycling cadence is getting better, and I try to stay between 80-90 RPMs. When I first started, cadence was at about 60, which means I was using a gear which was too hard on my legs and did not allow me to maintain it for long periods.

Whenever I start a new activity, I do as much research as possible to enusre my efforts are not being wasted. It can be very frustrating to do some activity for weeks, only to find out later you were either doing it wrong, or not as efficient as it could have been. For many, finding time to exercise is precious, so why not get the most bang for your efforts!

Its still kind of strange to me to be 5 years from 70, yet still wanting to learn a new sport, and studying how to do it in the most efficient manner possible. Being 65 is not what I thought it would be like when I was in my young 20s.

For all those my age or younger and even older, find a physical activity, and keep with it, it pays off when you become a “senior”. You’re never too old for some form of exercise.

I start everday with my bible reading before I do anything else, followed an hour later by the days workout. Consistency in both with the bible being the top priority has paid off big time in my daily walk with Him.

Correction, you don't become a senior, you become a "Master" LOL

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
Sadly, in cycling just like running, the masters division is generally age 40 and above. I guess that makes me a grand master….:prophet

I bought better fitting riding gloves with more padding for the palms, and todays 15 mile easy ride was mostly pain free. Technique is paying off.
Nah ,masters is pretty much anything above 30 years old, i get the luxury of still competing in both opens and masters for our state Championships, you should be sweet

Lastcall

Nah ,masters is pretty much anything above 30 years old, i get the luxury of still competing in both opens and masters for our state Championships, you should be sweet
I bought a polar H10 chest strap heart rate monitor today. Its paired with my phone, so I can see my heart rate while cycling since my phone is carried right below the bikes stem where I can easily see it. From all my years of running, I basically knew what my heart was based on how fast Im running. With cycling, I have no idea so I want to ensure I stay within 75- 90 percent max heart rate. I dont want to be cyling just for fun, but I want to make sure Im getting a good cardio session based on my heart rate data.

My new fitness app thats paired with the monitor will tell me my current heart rate, average heart rate through the entire ride, and the max heart rate I achieved.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
I bought a polar H10 chest strap heart rate monitor today. Its paired with my phone, so I can see my heart rate while cycling since my phone is carried right below the bikes stem where I can easily see it. From all my years of running, I basically knew what my heart was based on how fast Im running. With cycling, I have no idea so I want to ensure I stay within 75- 90 percent max heart rate. I dont want to be cyling just for fun, but I want to make sure Im getting a good cardio session based on my heart rate data.

My new fitness app thats paired with the monitor will tell me my current heart rate, average heart rate through the entire ride, and the max heart rate I achieved.
It's crazy how mobile phones can now do things like measure heart rates during exercise etc

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
The phone does not measure, but gets the data transmitted by my chest strap.
oh similar how to people in NFL and other sports use to measure kms travelled, heart rate and speed in a game and that they reach. It's kind of funny because it looks like they are wearing bras to keep the device held or strapped against their chest

Lastcall

oh similar how to people in NFL and other sports use to measure kms travelled, heart rate and speed in a game and that they reach. It's kind of funny because it looks like they are wearing bras to keep the device held or strapped against their chest
Its approx a 1 inch wide elastic ban with sensors, that fits snuggly around my chest. Very comfortable, and accurate. Its just like what you would wear for an EKG, and NOT like a bra…. :oops:

Lastcall

Today I rode 18 miles with my Heart Rate monitor. My overall average was 113, which is 73 percent of my max heart rate, but still about 8 beats per minute less than what it would average for an average run of mine. My legs are getting a little stronger on the ride, so I will gradually increase my pace, and hopefully get to a 121 average.

Prior to this morning's ride, I truly believed my heart rate was higher on previous rides, but that appears to be wishful thinking on my part. :biggrin

Lastcall

Im learning way to much about bikes. I took my bike in today to have a shorter stem installed. This stem will mean the handlebars will be 1/2 to an full inch closer to me, which means less of a reach. 1 inch may not sound like much, but this could easily fix some of the muscle soreness I have on long rides. When in my normal riding position, for me to lean forward and hold the “grips”, if feels a little to far a reach, so hopefully when I take my bike out on Friday, this makes it easier to reach, and is more comfortable.

If someone is just a casual rider, then any bike can work, and you probably wont have issues. My goal is a 50 mile ride within the next month, so all those little things add up quickly on my 65 year old body.

Today I did a 36 mile ride, just cruising a little under 14MPH for overall average. My longer rides, I slow down as to not over tax the old ticker for a long period of time.

Exercise is just not just for all you youngsters……...