Getting in Shape

daygo

I changed my workout routine again. Changing a few times a year keeps my body from getting used to the same stress of training, and keeps me mentally engaged.

Day 1 Upper body only - 7 sets for the chest, shoulder, triceps, back, biceps, forearms
Day 2 - Lower body 5 sets front thighs, hamstring curls, calves, and abs.
Day 3 No weight lifting
Day 4 No weight lifting
I keep repeating this cycle

I also run 5 days, for a weekly total between 25 - 30 miles.
I time my running days off with the upper body workout day.

The key for me as I age is being smart with the amount of pounds I lift, and the pace of my runs. I will be 65 in a few months, and I plan on working out hard for as long as I live. I maintain a decent level of strength, but training to be overly strong is too high an injury risk at my age. Most of my daily runs are at a very easy pace, but enough to keep my heartbeat at approx 80-85 percent max. A few times a month, I will run on the track for a timed run of between 1-3 miles, and usually finish at 100 percent max heartbeat.
Wow your active.

Lastcall

I'm retired but don't do half of that, either it's my knees or my back or something else.
Any level of daily activity is a positive step forward.

I had a huge meal on Saturday, and another on Sunday, both of those days I took a rare 2 consecutive days off of running. On this mornings slow 5 mile run, I felt like my stomach was going to bounce up and slap me in the face on every step. Now I remember the reason I rarely eat until Im stuffed.

daygo

Any level of daily activity is a positive step forward.

I had a huge meal on Saturday, and another on Sunday, both of those days I took a rare 2 consecutive days off of running. On this mornings slow 5 mile run, I felt like my stomach was going to bounce up and slap me in the face on every step. Now I remember the reason I rarely eat until Im stuffed.
Haha good one.

Lastcall

March 11, 2020, was the last time I worked out in a commercial gym - due to covid lock down. As I have posted before, I converted a bedroom into a home gym. Today was my 400th workout at home. Prior to March 2020, I hated lifting at home, and only had a few kettlebells and one dumbell. I had belonged to a gym, or worked out on base for the past 40 years.

I dont miss the gyms at all. Its great listening to my own music choices, not waiting for equipment, and no longer feeling guilty if I look at a pretty woman working out because the only hottie in my gym is my wife! Yeah, yeah, I know, nursing home love:cool:

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
March 11, 2020, was the last time I worked out in a commercial gym - due to covid lock down. As I have posted before, I converted a bedroom into a home gym. Today was my 400th workout at home. Prior to March 2020, I hated lifting at home, and only had a few kettlebells and one dumbell. I had belonged to a gym, or worked out on base for the past 40 years.

I dont miss the gyms at all. Its great listening to my own music choices, not waiting for equipment, and no longer feeling guilty if I look at a pretty woman working out because the only hottie in my gym is my wife! Yeah, yeah, I know, nursing home love:cool:

You woulfa earned brownie points with your wife with that last part

paul289

I've been dieting and working out for the past couple weeks, and I've definitely noticed progress! Every weekday, I get up a bit earlier than normal and either go to the gym, go for a run, or do some basic home workouts. Been eating less, focusing on having shakes, cut out carbs, dairy, and pork. So far, I've lost 5 pounds and I'm down from 20% body fat to 18.5%! Hoping to also put on some muscle, but hey, I'll settle for shrinking my beer gut.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
I've been dieting and working out for the past couple weeks, and I've definitely noticed progress! Every weekday, I get up a bit earlier than normal and either go to the gym, go for a run, or do some basic home workouts. Been eating less, focusing on having shakes, cut out carbs, dairy, and pork. So far, I've lost 5 pounds and I'm down from 20% body fat to 18.5%! Hoping to also put on some muscle, but hey, I'll settle for shrinking my beer gut.

Well done and keep it up, the moment you stop the harder it is to get back into it again.

It's all about routine and also having decent rest/recovery

Lastcall

Later this morning Im going on a bike ride with my wife. I really enjoyed our ride a few days ago, but todays will determine if its time to switch from four decades of running, to bike riding. My wife got a new bike last week, and Im riding her old one. If all goes well today, I will go bike shopping next week.

I might try a mixture of the two with 10-15 miles a week of running, and 40-50 miles of riding, and then eventually wean off the running, and stick with bikes, and weight training.

I have learned over the past 4 decades to keep trying something new and challenging, and this keeps training from becoming stale and boring.

Im 65 now, and unless we’re called home sooner, I plan on working out hard for the remainder of my days.

Lastcall

I have made it 6 days without running! Instead, I have rode my bike 5 days for approx 60 miles, with todays ride of 21 my longest. Im still riding my wifes old bike, but will go shopping today or tomorrow and get a better one.

I have always set fitness goals, which is a big reason I have consistently worked out for over 42 years. My new goal is a 50 mile ride before the end of summer, then a 100 mile ride within a year. Speed is no longer important to me but endurance challenges is what I enjoy.

Lastcall

Armor of Light

Praising my Savior all the day long!

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
Do you think this 18 year old kid has a chance to eventually break Bolts 200 meter record? At 18, he already has the 4th fastest time ever ran for the 200.

https://www.givemesport.com/8800195...comes-fourth-fastest-200m-sprinter-in-history
Also if you want to see impressive, there's a young kid called Joseph Fanbulleh who has the absolute worst start a sprinter could have, he literrally comes from 2nd last to last and runs everyone down in both the 100m and 200m, i think he came 4th or 5th in the olympic finals for the 200m and he is also 19 years old.

Carl

My exercise has almost always been my work. At work used to do the stairs with a couple friends sometimes.

My weight has always maintained around 130 to 135. Physical condition always seemed to be good enough to do my work/exercise without soreness or extra tired.

Then I turned 78. I have not gained any weight, but now have a gut. Something has changed in my body to do funny things with the same food I have always eaten.