Getting in Shape

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
Soccer, there are leagues like to join one but unlikely now because of age and condition of my body, bad knees and back at moment, its just a hour session on artificial pitch.

I only asked because i know in some parts of England can get very rough if you call football soccer LOL, down in Aus we refer to football as either Rugby Union or League

ldonjohn

"God said it, that settles it!"
Well you know what they say - "Eat Right, Stay Healthy, Die Anyway"

But to really loose weight go on a low-carb diet - meat, not deep fried or coated like fried chicken, the coating has a lot of carbs, no pasta or grains also loaded with carbs, no vegtables that grow below ground, they also have lots of carbs (i.e potatoes, turnips, carrots and the like) if it is white on the inside do not eat it except for cauliflower. The problem is not calories it is the carbs

Started something similar to this about 3 weeks ago and have lost about 1 pound per week. I am doing intermittent fasting where I eat my evening meal at around 5pm and have nothing until morning, breakfast, which has been only decaf coffee with 1 pack of erythritol sweetener and 1 tsp of coconut oil, and a pinch of cinnamon. I could have scrambled eggs and bacon for breakfast but right now I have adjusted to just the coffee. Have lunch around 11:30am, so I am fasting for about 17 hours/day. Intermittent fasting helps to lower insulin level. The goal is to get my body to burn both glucose and fat.
Before I started this intermittent fasting routine I was eating a large amount of raisin bran cereal with skim milk for breakfast and a lot of French fries with hamburgers for lunch. Have cut out the fries, but still eat hamburgers. Also, I have not increased my caloric intake, not supersizing at McDonalds, to make up for not eating breakfast, and limit amount of food prepared with any kind of vegetable oils. My wife now cooks with small amounts of olive oil and coconut oil.
I am 78 years old, and have arthritis in left foot so activity is limited to using a recumbent bike for exercise and some yard work.
Suggest you might consider looking into intermittent fasting. It isn't difficult to do once your body adjusts to it. There are some good YouTube videos about this plus other sources of info on internet.

daygo

I've managed to lose 30 pounds or so the last few months just by doing fork put downs almost every day

I'm looking at gyms in my area to hopefully get back into lifting like I was a while ago
Whats fork put downs used to do weight training once when a teenager.

Lastcall

I changed my workout routine again. Changing a few times a year keeps my body from getting used to the same stress of training, and keeps me mentally engaged.

Day 1 Upper body only - 7 sets for the chest, shoulder, triceps, back, biceps, forearms
Day 2 - Lower body 5 sets front thighs, hamstring curls, calves, and abs.
Day 3 No weight lifting
Day 4 No weight lifting
I keep repeating this cycle

I also run 5 days, for a weekly total between 25 - 30 miles.
I time my running days off with the upper body workout day.

The key for me as I age is being smart with the amount of pounds I lift, and the pace of my runs. I will be 65 in a few months, and I plan on working out hard for as long as I live. I maintain a decent level of strength, but training to be overly strong is too high an injury risk at my age. Most of my daily runs are at a very easy pace, but enough to keep my heartbeat at approx 80-85 percent max. A few times a month, I will run on the track for a timed run of between 1-3 miles, and usually finish at 100 percent max heartbeat.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
I changed my workout routine again. Changing a few times a year keeps my body from getting used to the same stress of training, and keeps me mentally engaged.

Day 1 Upper body only - 7 sets for the chest, shoulder, triceps, back, biceps, forearms
Day 2 - Lower body 5 sets front thighs, hamstring curls, calves, and abs.
Day 3 No weight lifting
Day 4 No weight lifting
I keep repeating this cycle

I also run 5 days, for a weekly total between 25 - 30 miles.
I time my running days off with the upper body workout day.

The key for me as I age is being smart with the amount of pounds I lift, and the pace of my runs. I will be 65 in a few months, and I plan on working out hard for as long as I live. I maintain a decent level of strength, but training to be overly strong is too high an injury risk at my age. Most of my daily runs are at a very easy pace, but enough to keep my heartbeat at approx 80-85 percent max. A few times a month, I will run on the track for a timed run of between 1-3 miles, and usually finish at 100 percent max heartbeat.

You're a machine !!!!

Why don't you cycle one day rest one day train so you get a better recovery ?
Or will you miss the adrenaline /endorphin kick of skipping a day of any form of exercise LOL ?

Lastcall

You're a machine !!!!

Why don't you cycle one day rest one day train so you get a better recovery ?
Or will you miss the adrenaline /endorphin kick of skipping a day of any form of exercise LOL ?
No way I could skip a few days each week from exercise. As it is now I have to force myself to take one complete day off a few times each month. If my goal was to build strength, or get faster, I would never train like I do now.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
No way I could skip a few days each week from exercise. As it is now I have to force myself to take one complete day off a few times each month. If my goal was to build strength, or get faster, I would never train like I do now.
Our coach breaks up our athletic/gym training into cycles, and every 5th week is a recovery week where he will just half the training sessions completely and might just do speed/strength tests just to assist with regeneration and recovery before moving onto the next training cycle of the year.

Lastcall

Our coach breaks up our athletic/gym training into cycles, and every 5th week is a recovery week where he will just half the training sessions completely and might just do speed/strength tests just to assist with regeneration and recovery before moving onto the next training cycle of the year.
At my age, if I slow down too much, rigor mortis will set in.o_O