Getting in Shape

Andy C

Ahhhhhhh the dreaded joys of returning to pre season when all the junk food and lazing about comes back to bite you when you are trying to get re-conditioned again and in shape LOL
How is your training progressing? What are your goals this year for times in the 100 and 200?

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
How is your training progressing? What are your goals this year for times in the 100 and 200?
Slowly, i put on more weight than i wanted in my off season and the conditioning phase is really testing me mentally at the moment.

I'm aiming for 11.40 secs for the 100 and anything in the 22 second range for the 200

Andy C

Slowly, i put on more weight than i wanted in my off season and the conditioning phase is really testing me mentally at the moment.

I'm aiming for 11.40 secs for the 100 and anything in the 22 second range for the 200
Stumbled upon the below link, thought you might be interested. Type the below in You Tube search.

Why It's Almost Impossible to Run 100 Meters In 9 Seconds | WIRED​

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
Stumbled upon the below link, thought you might be interested. Type the below in You Tube search.

Why It's Almost Impossible to Run 100 Meters In 9 Seconds | WIRED​

I reckon before this world ends the 100m wr wil only be broken one more time and it will most likely be around the late 9,40 sec range.

I agree with a lot of what that video was saying.

Andy C

I reckon before this world ends the 100m wr wil only be broken one more time and it will most likely be around the late 9,40 sec range.

I agree with a lot of what that video was saying.
As a distance runner, I never really paid attention to how sprinters train, and never even thought about how important those first few steps ouf of the blocks are.

I need to roll back to a decade ago when I was doing 20 mile plus runs twice a month. I would bring snacks on the run and eat while I was running, no need to worry about “block” speed…. :biggrin

I did do a 12 mile run a few weeks ago, and I might go for 15 later this month. Nice easy pace, chewing Cliff Blocks as I run.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
Yeah there's alot more to sprint training than "Just running fast", as the great Sprint coach Tom Tellez quoted " Anybody can run fast, but not everybody can sprint".

Sprinting requires building up efficient acceleration to your top speed and then holding that top speed for as long as you can by maintaining a slight lean and "Tall hips" which requires a strong core.

Sprint training is fun when the distance of repetitions are from 10m - 60m , any reps above these distances causes the dreaded buildup of lactic acid .

Distance running is fun in that the pace can be steady and patient and you can observe more scenery as you're running

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Yeah there's alot more to sprint training than "Just running fast", as the great Sprint coach Tom Tellez quoted " Anybody can run fast, but not everybody can sprint".

Sprinting requires building up efficient acceleration to your top speed and then holding that top speed for as long as you can by maintaining a slight lean and "Tall hips" which requires a strong core.

Sprint training is fun when the distance of repetitions are from 10m - 60m , any reps above these distances causes the dreaded buildup of lactic acid .

Distance running is fun in that the pace can be steady and patient and you can observe more scenery as you're running

Woman still in the men's section :rolleyes

Long distance running is a peaceful time to talk and listen to God. Unless calling cadence :eek :lol

Andy C

You were one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children so you had to run fast cuz Sailors :eek

Problem being, there's an edge to ships, so you get to pick - shark or swabbie :lol
Being on a ship for several months was a fun time. My first experience was not so fun in 1979 as a young Marine. My last one was great as the senior enlisted for 2300 Marines and Sailors - big difference.

Sailors are good at their job as long as they stay below decks, out of sight….shhhhh, dont tell my 23 years in the Navy wife I said that.

chaser

Praising my Savior all the day long!
Question for Andy C, are you lifting 2 or 3 times a week? I am about 5 years older than you and have been lifting on M W F but hurt my shoulder about 6 weeks ago and stopped . I did some lifts on Wednesday to see if shoulder was better, just one set each bench press /french curl/ regular curl and feel ready to start my normal lifts and reps, just with a slightly less weights for a while. But I may lift on a schedule of 2 days off between lift days like Sat/Tue/ Fri and then Sun/Wed/Sat the next week. Are you resting more than one day ?

Andy C

Question for Andy C, are you lifting 2 or 3 times a week? I am about 5 years older than you and have been lifting on M W F but hurt my shoulder about 6 weeks ago and stopped . I did some lifts on Wednesday to see if shoulder was better, just one set each bench press /french curl/ regular curl and feel ready to start my normal lifts and reps, just with a slightly less weights for a while. But I may lift on a schedule of 2 days off between lift days like Sat/Tue/ Fri and then Sun/Wed/Sat the next week. Are you resting more than one day ?
At our age, you should work all the muscle groups (chest, shoulders, triceps, back, biceps, legs) 2 times a week. Doing the same muscles 3 times a week could lead to injury.

What I was doing was all 5 groups on Monday and Fridays, 5-6 sets of each group.

Recently, I changed it to Mondays and Saturday vice Friday, but added a real light workout on Wednesday. Keep in mind I have been lifting consistently for a few decades.

I also run 30 miles a week.

The ideal workout that is not as stressful, works each muscle group 2 times a week, allows 3 days off.
Mon - Chest, shoulder, triceps
Tue - Back, biceps, legs
wed - off
Thur - Chest, shoulders, triceps
Fri - Back, biceps, legs
Sat - off
Sun - off

Andy C

I have had a left shoulder issue for many years. Recently, I bough a massage gun, and use that between sets when Im using my shoulders and it has made a huge difference. If you do buy one, make sure you you tube on how to use it correctly. It feels so good while doing it, you may not want to stop, and doing it more than 60-90 seconds can cause harm.

chaser

Praising my Savior all the day long!
Thanks Andy! I'm going to workout Monday and Thursday from here on out, I was probably making things worse by not getting enough rest/repair between workouts. I'm not running anymore, but do jog once in a while on the super soft turf field at the high school. I do walk daily with a backpack and hit some pretty steep grades, 4 miles in 70 minutes that gives me 28 miles if go 7 days.

Jonathan

Does anyone have any experience losing weight to get in shape?

I started going to the gym semi-regularly a couple months ago, but I've just been lifting weights. My muscles are getting bigger, which definitely makes me feel more manly (something I've been lacking in) and generally helps keep my mood from bottoming out and turning me into a mess with no motivation.

The issue is that I've only been gaining weight, because I just can't seem to stop stuffing my face. I understand putting on muscle puts on weight, but the fat hasn't gone anywhere.

I'm out of shape to the point cardio makes me feel like garbage for the entire rest of the day if I do it (I might have exercise induced asthma, too). Lifting weights also just makes me that much hungrier, but I enjoy lifting, so I'm not going to quit that. Better fat and strong than fat and weak.

Anyways, anyone want to talk weight lifting and/or weight loss?
Old post, and I may have actually responded already. I won't suggest a comprehensive course of action, but I have found that weight lifting (preferably free weights) is more effective than cardiovascular exercise in terms of loosing weight. What essentially happens is that, with the gain of lean muscle mass, your body needs more calories and therefore uses them to maintain your muscles as opposed to being relegated to fat cells. Also, your general 24/7 metabolism will be increased (kind of the other side of the same coin) so that even when you are totally idle (sitting on a couch), your body will naturally be burning more calories than it otherwise would be.

Just make sure you "surround" your workout with protein. And by that, I mean consume at least 10-20 grams of protein both before and after your workout so your body can immediately build muscles. Weight lifting is basically, at the end of the day, a form of "injuring" your muscles which your body will then immediately not only start repairing them, but also enlarging/fortifying them so that they will be more resilient in the future. This requires protein. It is also the same reason why you should give yourself at least a day between workouts of any muscle group so your body can repair itself and get ready to be injured again and repeat the process. I know that sounds like a really weird way of looking at it, but it is basically true.

Also, if you aren't working out, don't increase your protein intake. It won't do a thing. Protein that is not needed will be converted into fat. Unfortunately, it doesn't work the other way (fat into protein).

Also, if you don't want the "buff" look but prefer the classic "greek" figure, use a high number of reps 10-16 per set with lower weights, as opposed to 4-6 reps with heavier weights per set.

Also, you should try your best, when lifting, to get yourself to the point of "muscle failure." In other words, you lift until you literally, with all the willpower you have, can not lift another rep until the next set.. IMPORTANT: Don't start doing this until a couple of weeks pass by after you begin lifting in order to prevent injury.

As far as cardiovascular exercise, I continue to consider it inferior to weight lifting for weight loss purposes, but if you do choose to do so, never eat anything in the hours before you engage in cardiovascular exercise. By not eating, your body will be FORCED to burn fat in order to produce carbohydrates to fuel your body, which is probably what you want. Also, there are many studies that suggest just getting your heart rate up above your norm for only 10 minutes are so is just as effective as sprinting your rear end off for several miles. The only thing that matters is that your heart rate is elevated considerably above your norm for a decent amount of time. The particular target BPM depends entirely on your age, weight, bmi, etc, so I cannot recommend a target BPM.

As always, ask around, but I found everything I said above to have been personally true in my experience.

Last edited:

Andy C

Old post, and I may have actually responded already. I won't suggest a comprehensive course of action, but I have found that weight lifting (preferably free weights) is more effective than cardiovascular exercise in terms of loosing weight. What essentially happens is that, with the gain of lean muscle mass, your body needs more calories and therefore uses them to maintain your muscles as opposed to being relegated to fat cells. Also, your general 24/7 metabolism will be increased (kind of the other side of the same coin) so that even when you are totally idle (sitting on a couch), your body will naturally be burning more calories than it otherwise would be.

Just make sure you "surround" your workout with protein. And by that, I mean consume at least 10-20 grams of protein both before and after your workout so your body can immediately build muscles. Weight lifting is basically, at the end of the day, a form of "injuring" your muscles which your body will then immediately not only start repairing them, but also enlarging/fortifying them so that they will be more resilient in the future. This requires protein. It is also the same reason why you should give yourself at least a day between workouts of any muscle group so your body can repair itself and get ready to be injured again and repeat the process. I know that sounds like a really weird way of looking at it, but it is basically true.

Also, if you aren't working out, don't increase your protein intake. It won't do a thing. Protein that is not needed will be converted into fat. Unfortunately, it doesn't work the other way (fat into protein).

Also, if you don't want the "buff" look but prefer the classic "greek" figure, use a high number of reps 10-16 per set with lower weights, as opposed to 4-6 reps with heavier weights per set.

Also, you should try your best, when lifting, to get yourself to the point of "muscle failure." In other words, you lift until you literally, with all the willpower you have, can not lift another rep until the next set.. IMPORTANT: Don't start doing this until a couple of weeks pass by after you begin lifting in order to prevent injury.

As far as cardiovascular exercise, I continue to consider it inferior to weight lifting for weight loss purposes, but if you do choose to do so, never eat anything in the hours before you engage in cardiovascular exercise. By not eating, your body will be FORCED to burn fat in order to produce carbohydrates to fuel your body, which is probably what you want. Also, there are many studies that suggest just getting your heart rate up above your norm for only 10 minutes are so is just as effective as sprinting your rear end off for several miles. The only thing that matters is that your heart rate is elevated considerably above your norm for a decent amount of time. The particular target BPM depends entirely on your age, weight, bmi, etc, so I cannot recommend a target BPM.

As always, ask around, but I found everything I said above to have been personally true in my experience.
We both agree a more muscular body is far more efficient in burning calories. However, in 60 minutes of a vigorous weight lifting session, vice 60 mins of a normal pace run, you burn twice the amount of calories by running or other cardio as you do in lifting.

I like to combine both in my weekly training.

I finally found a perfect routine for me, and at my age of 64

I run 5 days a week for a total of 25 miles.

I take Sunday as a complete day off.

I lift 4 days a week (Mon, Tues, Thur, Fri) , training each major muscle group (8 sets per muscle) 2 times a week, for a weekly total 16 total sets per muscle group.

I would be cautious about going to failure for each set of lifting. For me, I will use biceps curls as an example. My first few sets are warmups, not to failure. When I get to heavier weights, its not to failure where I stop, its at the point of losing good form that I stop. By continuing on in a set when form is lost is inviting injury.

I have been going to gyms for over 44 years, and I have never met or seen anyone go to failure on each and every set. The last few sets, yes, every set, never.

When I was in my 30s, 40s, and early 50s, it was hard for me to combine both lifting and running. Either my run time would drop, or my strength would get weaker, so my old ego made me choose one or the other. Now that Im older, I dont care about speed or power, but being consistent is the key, and I SELDOM miss a scheduled workout. If I do, I make it up quickly.

Bottom lime - it takes lots of personal experiences to find what works best, as each of us respond differently to various routines.

Be consistent, keep a log book on what you do, and that log book will keep you honest, and become the best training partner ever.

Lastly, set achievable goals, and strive to hit them, then reset for higher goals.