Getting in Shape

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
Charlie Francis who was Ben Johnson's former coach use to have a workout called "Big Circuit" which was doing a tempo paced type workout (roughly between 60- 70% of your sprinting speed) which entailed the following

(Set 1) - 3 x 100m
(Set 2) -1 x 100m x 100m x 200m x 100m
(Set3) - 1 x 200m x 200mx 100m
(Set4) - 1 x 200m x 100m x 100m
(Set5) - 3 x 100m

If you do the workout on an oval, the recovery is 50m walk then and 100m recovery at the finish off a set , it's definitely a lung buster
Funny thing is Charlie Francis said that the workout mentioned in the previous post was a recovery session !!!

OK maybe the pace is half of your full speed , but it's almost 2km of running !!

I hardly call that a recovery workout LOL

Andy C

Funny thing is Charlie Francis said that the workout mentioned in the previous post was a recovery session !!!

OK maybe the pace is half of your full speed , but it's almost 2km of running !!

I hardly call that a recovery workout LOL
I watched a short video of Bill Collins, 66 years old, setting the world record for 100 meters, 12:33.

Old guys still have game, and gals!

chaser

We trust you Jesus, you are the only King forever!
I watched a short video of Bill Collins, 66 years old, setting the world record for 100 meters, 12:33.
Watched it several times, looks like his heel never touches the track, sprints it all on the balls of his feet, 2nd and 3rd place seem to have similar sprint style but can't tell for sure if their heels touched down, looks like the remainder of the field ran landing on the heel of the foot. Bill had a perfect start and it appears he's not even breathing hard, awesome race and time for a guy my age.

Andy C

Does anyone have any experience losing weight to get in shape?

I started going to the gym semi-regularly a couple months ago, but I've just been lifting weights. My muscles are getting bigger, which definitely makes me feel more manly (something I've been lacking in) and generally helps keep my mood from bottoming out and turning me into a mess with no motivation.

The issue is that I've only been gaining weight, because I just can't seem to stop stuffing my face. I understand putting on muscle puts on weight, but the fat hasn't gone anywhere.

I'm out of shape to the point cardio makes me feel like garbage for the entire rest of the day if I do it (I might have exercise induced asthma, too). Lifting weights also just makes me that much hungrier, but I enjoy lifting, so I'm not going to quit that. Better fat and strong than fat and weak.

Anyways, anyone want to talk weight lifting and/or weight loss?
How are you doing with working out? Did you find out what works best for you?

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
How are you doing with working out? Did you find out what works best for you?

Sadly not good at all. I really enjoyed lifting weights when I went, a lot more than I've ever enjoyed running, but life has been pretty rough lately, and I haven't had the motivation to start back up ever since I stopped going.

It was easy for me when I had the momentum where I was already going on a regular basis, but I haven't been able to start back up again after losing that. It's a shame, too, because lifting helped with my mood and made me less anxious.

I'm going to be moving in a few months, so I've been looking at sports I could do for cardio in the new city. I used to really enjoy Tae Kwon Do back in elementary, middle, and highschool, so I've been thinking of starting a martial art when I move for cardio. I'm looking at either Judo or Muay Thai right now. Hopefully something comes of this and I can get back into being more active. It's just hard for me to start things up even when I want to

Andy C

Sadly not good at all. I really enjoyed lifting weights when I went, a lot more than I've ever enjoyed running, but life has been pretty rough lately, and I haven't had the motivation to start back up ever since I stopped going.

It was easy for me when I had the momentum where I was already going on a regular basis, but I haven't been able to start back up again after losing that. It's a shame, too, because lifting helped with my mood and made me less anxious.

I'm going to be moving in a few months, so I've been looking at sports I could do for cardio in the new city. I used to really enjoy Tae Kwon Do back in elementary, middle, and highschool, so I've been thinking of starting a martial art when I move for cardio. I'm looking at either Judo or Muay Thai right now. Hopefully something comes of this and I can get back into being more active. It's just hard for me to start things up even when I want to
Regular exercise does take a commitment that few can sustain. Im wired different, so for me, its always been easy to stick with a regular exercise routine.

Whatever Cardio you decide to do, I highly recommend its something you really think you will enjoy doing. Forcing yourself to stick with a routine you dont enjoy rarely works for more than a few weeks.

Goals are what motivates me, even small goals. Whatever you decide to do, maybe the first goal would be to do it 3 times a week. As you progress, you can move the goalpost to 4 or even five days. You can have goals of doing whatever cardio for 25 mins each workout, then progress from there. Whatever goal you set, you HAVE to reach it. Additionaly, make sure the goal you set is a reasonable one to achieve, setting an early goal too high often leads to failure. The first time you make excuses for why you cant exercise on your planned day will be the first of many more excuses. It seems with most people, once you give yourself an out, the next ones come easier and easier.

Keep a log bookmof what you do every workout. The mind can have a false memory of what you thought you did all week, but the book does not lie. My logbooks have always been my most motivating training partner. Nothing says defeat worse then a blank page on a day you scheduled a workout.

Set goals, and consistency are the keys to a long term successful exercise regimen. For most, this is easier said then done.

Dont let your own mind defeat you. Be strong, and pray for additional strength.

I dont know your age, but Im 63, and still work out hard everyday, but smart.

Have fun, and yes, exercise can be fun, especially when you keep reaching your goals, and then reach even higher goals.

COMMIT.