Getting in Shape

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
Another good one. I think burpees are a little more demanding considering you have to constantly stand up, fall down, pushup, repeat, repeat.
Bear crawl is demanding in seeing how far you can crawl trying to keep your back close to parallel to the ground. Both are great cardio exercises and full body exercise.

We use to cheat the exercise when coach wasn't looking and have more of a higher v shape to cover more ground LOL

Dave

Im always looking for a new challenge, or setting goals. I have been doing a few HIT (high intensity) workouts with dumbbells and body exercises. One of the videos incorporated burpees. I never really feel my age when exercising, but doing burpees, very tiring. I hated them while I was in the Marines, but loved inflicting them to cause pain on my recruits when I was a Drill Instructor. The Marines call burpees “Bends and thrusts”.

I did some research yesterday, and burpees are listed as one of the top cardio and full body exercises.

For those who do not know what a burpee is

”Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart. Hinge at the hips and bend knees to squat as deeply as you can and place your hands on the floor. Jump feet back to come into a high plank position (top of a push-up). With core engaged, bend elbows to lower chest to the floor, like a push-up. Press back up as you jump your feet back into a deep squat and jump (or stand) right back up, landing on the balls of your feet”

The link below has a short demo video
https://www.runnersworld.com/runner...-burpees-for-15-days-and-heres-what-happened/

My new challenge is doing 100 burpees.

I did those for the first time about this time last year. That was when we were on lock down due to Covid and I could not get any Fast Food or drink any sodas. I went from being 200 pounds to 182. I think I was doing 30 a day and I wore myself out. Of coarse I did not do 30 all at once. I had to take a break and catch my breath at places. My heart was really racing.

Andy C

I did those for the first time about this time last year. That was when we were on lock down due to Covid and I could not get any Fast Food or drink any sodas. I went from being 200 pounds to 182. I think I was doing 30 a day and I wore myself out. Of coarse I did not do 30 all at once. I had to take a break and catch my breath at places. My heart was really racing.
Yes, burpees will raise your heart rate.

I ran 2 miles to the track yesterday, then ran 4 laps, and did 10 burpees between each lap, then ran back home. It was a good way to break up the running, but it took almost half of each lap to get my breathing back to normal after doing the burpees.

Tomorrow before my run, I want to see how many I can do before having to stop for fear of passing out.. :oops:

Andy C

I watched a few videos this morning of a few men who are still exercising hard each day. One was 80, the other 90. I hope were not here that long, but if we are, I want to be exercising well into my 80s and 90s. For me, its a life long part of each day.

When I was a non believer, I would tell all to exercise hard every day, and you can rest when you’re in the casket and buried. Now, I tell those saved to keep pushing hard because if you wear out this body by the time of death it wont matter - the warranty is up, time for the new Glorified body.

Keep moving, and stay creative and smart in how you exercise.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
I watched a few videos this morning of a few men who are still exercising hard each day. One was 80, the other 90. I hope were not here that long, but if we are, I want to be exercising well into my 80s and 90s. For me, its a life long part of each day.

When I was a non believer, I would tell all to exercise hard every day, and you can rest when you’re in the casket and buried. Now, I tell those saved to keep pushing hard because if you wear out this body by the time of death it wont matter - the warranty is up, time for the new Glorified body.

Keep moving, and stay creative and smart in how you exercise.

My athletics season is a week or so away from ending, sooooo for the next fortnight I will be bludging, sleeping in and piggin out and then regretting life returning to pre season training and getting conditioned LOL

Andy C

My athletics season is a week or so away from ending, sooooo for the next fortnight I will be bludging, sleeping in and piggin out and then regretting life returning to pre season training and getting conditioned LOL
I dont remember what events you run. I assume the 100s and 200s? What are your top times?

I was never a sprinter, but had a good kick to finish off 5-10ks. My best 5k was 16:08 at age 37, not a super fast time, but a good time for local races.

Im really enjoying doing HIIT workouts (high intensity interval workouts) and all of them include burpees. Im starting to enjoy burpees, but at my age, its getting harder to bring the knees back up to the chest fast, and in one smooth motion.

Considering how many people my age have injuries, or even much younger than me, I feel very blessed to be able to keep exercising at a level Im used to - just tone it down a little. Training smart for over 40 years has paid off.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
I dont remember what events you run. I assume the 100s and 200s? What are your top times?

I was never a sprinter, but had a good kick to finish off 5-10ks. My best 5k was 16:08 at age 37, not a super fast time, but a good time for local races.

Im really enjoying doing HIIT workouts (high intensity interval workouts) and all of them include burpees. Im starting to enjoy burpees, but at my age, its getting harder to bring the knees back up to the chest fast, and in one smooth motion.

Considering how many people my age have injuries, or even much younger than me, I feel very blessed to be able to keep exercising at a level Im used to - just tone it down a little. Training smart for over 40 years has paid off.

My lifetime bests are the follwing for each event

100 - 10.96 sec
200m - 22.76 secs
400m - 52.10

God's definitely looking after your body, especially with the stress that the burpee exercise places on the body.

When i return from offseason i do similar HIIT circuits to what you do but minus the long mileage LOL

Andy C

My lifetime bests are the follwing for each event

100 - 10.96 sec
200m - 22.76 secs
400m - 52.10

God's definitely looking after your body, especially with the stress that the burpee exercise places on the body.

When i return from offseason i do similar HIIT circuits to what you do but minus the long mileage LOL
I looked up the Australian records, and noted your 100 meters is one second off that mark. I cant even imagine the level of pain for training just to improve 1/10 of a second, and then another 1/10..........I like distance races where many times, my PR has been improved by several seconds, and in longer runs, several minutes. But to train for 100 meters, and push to close that gap of only one second, must be grueling.

I found a active duty Marine on You tube who has his own channel with about 130k subscribers. He is without a doubt, the dominator for burpess, and all body weight exercises. Im going to do one of his challenges today. Its a pyramid of 4 exercises, each round of 4 exercises is done with no rest in between each exercise, but I will take a 30 second break after each round. Burpees, kettle bell swings, pushups, situps. I will start out at 14 reps each for the first round, 13 for the second round, and work my way down the pyramid until I hit 1 rep for each. The video started the pyramid at 20, but thats too high for me to start at for now, and he also had bars where he did dips, which I dont have so added in situps instead.

If you ever want a challenge including burpees, look on you tube for “Iron Wolf”

Im always looking for a new routine, otherwise my training hits a rut, and then I remember my age, so I quickly find something else. For years it was just running, then lifting and running, now I need to keep searching for a challenge before rigor mortis sets in. :lol

Andy C

I looked up the Australian records, and noted your 100 meters is one second off that mark. I cant even imagine the level of pain for training just to improve 1/10 of a second, and then another 1/10..........I like distance races where many times, my PR has been improved by several seconds, and in longer runs, several minutes. But to train for 100 meters, and push to close that gap of only one second, must be grueling.

I found a active duty Marine on You tube who has his own channel with about 130k subscribers. He is without a doubt, the dominator for burpess, and all body weight exercises. Im going to do one of his challenges today. Its a pyramid of 4 exercises, each round of 4 exercises is done with no rest in between each exercise, but I will take a 30 second break after each round. Burpees, kettle bell swings, pushups, situps. I will start out at 14 reps each for the first round, 13 for the second round, and work my way down the pyramid until I hit 1 rep for each. The video started the pyramid at 20, but thats too high for me to start at for now, and he also had bars where he did dips, which I dont have so added in situps instead.

If you ever want a challenge including burpees, look on you tube for “Iron Wolf”

Im always looking for a new routine, otherwise my training hits a rut, and then I remember my age, so I quickly find something else. For years it was just running, then lifting and running, now I need to keep searching for a challenge before rigor mortis sets in. :lol
I modified the above to make it harder.

Started from the bottom, and worked my way up. Started at 1 burpee. But, for each of the other 3 exercises - kettle bell swimgs, push up and sit ups, I always did 10 reps of each. Worked my way up in rounds to 14 burpees. Total 105 burpees, and 140 each of the other three exercises. I also modified my break times. 30 seconds between round 1-10, then 45 seconds for the remaining 4 rounds. Total time 27:30

Try it!

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
I modified the above to make it harder.

Started from the bottom, and worked my way up. Started at 1 burpee. But, for each of the other 3 exercises - kettle bell swimgs, push up and sit ups, I always did 10 reps of each. Worked my way up in rounds to 14 burpees. Total 105 burpees, and 140 each of the other three exercises. I also modified my break times. 30 seconds between round 1-10, then 45 seconds for the remaining 4 rounds. Total time 27:30

Try it!

I might give it a go in 5 weeks time when i return from my offseason, it will be the sloppiest burpees ever , especially towards the latter reps trying to do the jumping phase of the exercise.

How did your body pull up after doing that session?

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun

There's a physio/pt on yt called Athlean X aka Jeff Cavalier and he shows you how to do exercises correctly in the gym and also explains good rehab exercises for injuries.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
I did ok. Not all my burpees included a push up at the bottom since I was already doing sets of pushups.
Speaking of pushups, there's nothing worse than reattempting high volumes of it after a long rest , our coach gets us to (try) do 3 sets of 10 variations of pushups starting from the following hand positioning:

wide
normal
diamond (i hate this variation of it LOL)

Andy C

Speaking of pushups, there's nothing worse than reattempting high volumes of it after a long rest , our coach gets us to (try) do 3 sets of 10 variations of pushups starting from the following hand positioning:

wide
normal
You can also add doing pushups with your hands holding dumbbells on the ground, which allows for a deeper stretch in the chest and shoulders.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20

wide
normal

You can add in
Fists (parallel to the body)
Sideways fists (perpendicular to the body) (angled to make them easier if necessary)
Fingertips
Fingertips combined with diamond
Fists combined with diamond
Sideways fists combined with diamond
One handed
One footed (cross ankles)
One handed and one footed (has to be L-R and R-L) - awesome for balance. If needed, use a forearm in place of a hand to make these easier
"Jumping" (hands leave floor during up motion, and clap before returning to the down position)
One-footed with all of the above, including "jumping"

And elevated feet with all of them :biggrin The higher the elevation, the more difficult. Ranger pushups=feet on your buddy's shoulders :lol

Rehab, all of these can be done on a wall while standing or sitting. Distance of the feet from the wall adjusts difficulty. When graduating from the wall to the floor, the hands can be placed on a low platform to make PU easier. On a wall is also a good way to figure out the mechanics of doing the "jumping" pushups so you don't sprain a wrist or plant your nose on the floor :lol

Last edited:

Andy C

I was searching you tube, and found a good burpee challenge thats on your favorite site, the track.

Start at one end of the track, do a 6 count burpee, then broad jump forward, do a 6 count burpee, broad jump forward, and repeat as many times as it takes to cover 100 meters. I have not tried any broad jumps in decades, so mine were very short. I made it 70 meters, then quit, and ran another 3 miles back home. I will do the whole distance next time.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
I was searching you tube, and found a good burpee challenge thats on your favorite site, the track.

Start at one end of the track, do a 6 count burpee, then broad jump forward, do a 6 count burpee, broad jump forward, and repeat as many times as it takes to cover 100 meters. I have not tried any broad jumps in decades, so mine were very short. I made it 70 meters, then quit, and ran another 3 miles back home. I will do the whole distance next time.
Charlie Francis who was Ben Johnson's former coach use to have a workout called "Big Circuit" which was doing a tempo paced type workout (roughly between 60- 70% of your sprinting speed) which entailed the following

(Set 1) - 3 x 100m
(Set 2) -1 x 100m x 100m x 200m x 100m
(Set3) - 1 x 200m x 200mx 100m
(Set4) - 1 x 200m x 100m x 100m
(Set5) - 3 x 100m

If you do the workout on an oval, the recovery is 50m walk then and 100m recovery at the finish off a set , it's definitely a lung buster

Last edited: