Get Some Exercise!

Pat

WHAT mATTERS - EXERCISE
Bodily exercise profits little; but godliness is profitable unto all things 1 Timothy 4:8​

What makes someone strong? Exercise! Exercise builds the muscles that do the heavy lifting in life. Without exercise, the body becomes weak and sickly, unable to function as it was intended. With exercise, muscles are strengthened to perform tasks that otherwise would go undone. Health spas and gyms provide exercise equipment to strengthen different parts of the body so that the whole body can function together in balanced coordination. Likewise, the church, the body of Christ, is designed to provide the means to strengthen its members so that they can function together in balanced fellowship.

Scripture tells us to be strong in various aspects of the Lord. We are to be strong in the Lord Himself, that is, to recognize that it is not our strength that accomplishes the will of God, but rather His strength, in the power of His might.[1] We are also told to be strong in faith, just as Abraham was, which was counted to him for righteousness.[2] Our faith also being counted for righteousness when we have trusted the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus for our salvation. Finally, Paul told Timothy to be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.[3] This is the strength of grace that causes us not to think more highly of ourselves than we ought to think,[4] but to esteem others better than ourselves.[5] The kind of grace that overlooks the hurts and slights of others, which covers a multitude of sins.[6] The kind of grace that without judgment, allows God to work in each of us at His own pace, for His own purposes.

Do we find ourselves exercising our physical bodies, our trust in the world and our personal rights more than we are exercising our spiritual bodies, to become strong in the Lord, in His faith, and in His grace? The body that we exercise the most, is the one that others will see the most. What matters is, whom do we want others to see? Us or Jesus?

[1] 2 Corinthians 4:7; 12:9-10; Ephesians 6:10; Philippians 2:13
[2] Romans 4:3
[3] 2 Timothy 2:1
[4] Romans 12:3
[5] Philippians 2:3
[6] 1 Peter 4:8

Andy C

Do we find ourselves exercising our physical bodies, our trust in the world and our personal rights more than we are exercising our spiritual bodies, to become strong in the Lord, in His faith, and in His grace? The body that we exercise the most, is the one that others will see the most. What matters is, whom do we want others to see? Us or Jesus?
Good points, and ones I had struggled with for years. Im a self confessed fitness buff, and have worked out consistently for over four decades.

I became saved 16 years ago, and had to prioritize my time better. I went through a phase where if I exercised 90 minutes a day, then I had to read His Word for at least 90 minutes. I do believe that would fall under being a little legalistic on my part.

I do believe God has given me the ability to exercise hard for all this time, and kept me mostly injury free.

I was told in 2016 I was in pre stage dementia, and within a few years, I would cross that line. I was told 4 years later that my high level of cardio fitness could explain why I did not cross over, and have since been diagnosed as a return to cognitive normal.

God gave me the ability to sustain a lifestyle that most dont like or cant maintain, and others it leads to injury, knowing it would prevent a future dementia.

I read His Word daily, along with reading many articles of Christian nature, especially areas of eschatology.

Most people I first meet have no idea of the amount of fitness I do, but they do know Im a Christian, and my actions show my faith.

Pat

Good points, and ones I had struggled with for years. Im a self confessed fitness buff, and have worked out consistently for over four decades.

I became saved 16 years ago, and had to prioritize my time better. I went through a phase where if I exercised 90 minutes a day, then I had to read His Word for at least 90 minutes. I do believe that would fall under being a little legalistic on my part.

I do believe God has given me the ability to exercise hard for all this time, and kept me mostly injury free.

I was told in 2016 I was in pre stage dementia, and within a few years, I would cross that line. I was told 4 years later that my high level of cardio fitness could explain why I did not cross over, and have since been diagnosed as a return to cognitive normal.

God gave me the ability to sustain a lifestyle that most dont like or cant maintain, and others it leads to injury, knowing it would prevent a future dementia.

I read His Word daily, along with reading many articles of Christian nature, especially areas of eschatology.

Most people I first meet have no idea of the amount of fitness I do, but they do know Im a Christian, and my actions show my faith.
Amen brother. I want to encourage you though not to confuse legalism with discipline. Discipline to read the same amount of time you physically exercise is a great and worthy goal. It shows that your priorities are balanced. To condemn yourself for not reading would be legalism. To be encouraged to do better tomorrow and then do it is discipline. I enjoy your posts. Continue to bless us.