1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaza on edge as residents suffer through major electricity shortages

Discussion in 'Israel & Middle East News' started by Chris, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Gaza on edge as residents suffer through major electricity shortages
    ByAdam Rasgon
    11 January 2017 20:45
    Online activists have called for protests in Gaza City on Wednesday and in Jabalia and Nuseirat refugee camps on Thursday.
    A Palestinian woman sits outside her house as she escapes the heat during a power cut at Shatti (beach) refugee camp in Gaza City September 15, 2015. . (photo credit:REUTERS)

“We have only had electricity for four hours a day over the past several weeks. I can’t afford to run my backup generator every night; it’s becoming way too expensive,” Fadi, a resident of Gaza City, said Tuesday night, referring to the ongoing electricity crisis in the Gaza Strip. “Even with my backup generator, I don’t have enough electricity to heat the house most nights, and its freezing here,” he said. “I have resorted to using wood and coal to heat the house, which is helping with the heat but damaging to my health... Electricity is a basic right. Why have I been deprived of it?” The Gaza Strip, which has suffered for many years from poor electrical infrastructure, typically has the resources to provide for eight hours of electricity daily, approximately 40% of Gaza’s electricity needs. However, over the past several weeks, most Gazans have only received three to four hours of electricity, exacerbating already dire circumstances.

Mamoun Abu Shahala, the Palestinian Authority labor minister, one of four PA Gazabased ministers, said the reason for the dramatic decrease in available electricity is relatively straightforward. “The Gaza power plant cannot run at its full capacity because of a lack of funds to purchase fuel in addition to huge debts,” Abu Shahala told The Jerusalem Post.

The power plant, which can provide up to 80 megawatts at full capacity and is controlled by Hamas authorities, usually puts out approximately 40 megawatts. “With the power plant not running at full capacity and over $2 billion in electrical debts, the number of electrical hours daily have decreased,” Abu Shahala stated, adding, “I call on the international community to help Gaza afford extra fuel for the power plant.”

more............http://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Ga...er-through-major-electricity-shortages-478151

2. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Ah, the benefits that go with living under terrorist rule. :doh I bet a lot of the Gazans secretly would prefer to be back under Israeli rule. :idunno

Nomad likes this.
  3. daygo

daygo Well-Known Member

No question that being the case.