Gantz: Israel could accept return to Iran nuke deal if US has 'plan B'

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Gantz: Israel could accept return to Iran nuke deal if US has 'plan B'
Opposition leader Benjamin Netanyahu: "They are making a dangerous mistake."
By JERUSALEM POST STAFF
SEPTEMBER 15, 2021

Israel could accept a return to a US-brokered Iran nuclear deal, but they are calling on Washington to have a demonstration of power ready should negotiations turn sour, Defense Minister Benny Gantz told Foreign Policy on Tuesday. “The current US approach of putting the Iran nuclear program back in a box, I’d accept that,” Gantz told Foreign Policy, referring to US President Joe Biden's efforts, but added that he wants the US to have a plan B with economic sanctions, and referred to Israel's plan C, which involves a military response.

Gantz explained to Foreign Policy what he would consider a viable plan B: full political, economic and diplomatic pressure by the US, Europe, Russia and China. However, he explained the IDF is preparing military means to stop Iran from getting nuclear weapons, should it come to that. The issue of the Iran nuclear deal has been a prominent one in Israeli and international politics for almost a decade now, especially with fears that Iran could be getting close to a nuclear weapon.

more.............. https://www.jpost.com/middle-east/i...urn-to-iran-nuke-deal-if-us-has-plan-b-679581

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
DM Benny Gantz: Iran has to fear American punishment for talks to work
Gantz accused Netanyahu's regime of allowing Iran to develop a wide-ranging nuclear program and misleading the public.
Eitan Divinsky , Sep 15 , 2021
Benny Gantz.

Defense Minister Benny Gantz told the U.S.-based Foreign Policy magazine that Israel would be willing to accept the return to a nuclear agreement with Iran, but that the Jewish State would expect Washington to prepare a serious “demonstration of power” if negotiations with Tehran come to a halt.

"The current US approach is to put the Iranian nuclear program back on the table and I agree with that," said Gantz adding that a US-led backup plan including economic pressure should be considered and that Israel would work to prepare its own contingency plan "C" that would include a military option if all else fails.

Gantz's remarks appear to mark a policy shift from former Prime Minister Netanyah's approach of opposing the 2015 nuclear deal and pressuring American administrations to abandon it in favor of a return to sanctions. "The current U.S. approach of putting the Iran nuclear program back in a box, I’d accept that," he was quoted as saying.

more.......... https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/313573

athenasius

From that article Chris posted above in the OP "Gantz explained to Foreign Policy what he would consider a viable plan B: full political, economic and diplomatic pressure by the US, Europe, Russia and China. However, he explained the IDF is preparing military means to stop Iran from getting nuclear weapons, should it come to that."

I'm stunned at the stupidity. IF that "full political, economic and diplomatic pressure" had worked, we wouldn't BE HERE debating this. It would have worked. It DIDN'T work.

The definition of stupid is doing the same thing again and expecting different results.

Bennett, Gantz and Lapid are STUPID!

Netanyahu is right to be worried, but nobody seems to be listening.