Gantz: I met with Abbas to prevent a Hamas war, would do so again

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Gantz: I met with Abbas to prevent a Hamas war, would do so again
The defense minister says the right-wing MKs who condemned him for meeting with the Palestinian Authority in public sound differently behind closed doors.
By GIL HOFFMAN, TOVAH LAZAROFF, ANNA AHRONHEIM
Published: JANUARY 3, 2022

Defense Minister Benny Gantz on Monday said he met with Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas to prevent a war with Hamas and would do so again. “The need to look after the safety of Israel’s citizens and the fight against Hamas is the main reason I met with Abbas last week,” he told his Blue and White Party Knesset faction. “It’s the reason that I will continue to meet with him and others with whom discourse benefits stability, security and our interests,” he added. “As defense minister, my job is to make sure that the IDF is ready for war,” but “as a statesman, my job is to prevent that war,” Gantz said. “The one who is responsible for sending soldiers into battle is the one who is responsible for doing everything to prevent it,” he emphasized.

more......... https://www.jpost.com/israel-news/politics-and-diplomacy/article-691426

daygo

Reminds me of Israeli past where to prevent war they went to e.g. Egypt to strike a bargain did it help no.