Galatians Chapter 5

InsuranceGuy

InsuranceGuy, I assume you are referring to Galatians 5:16-21 as below.

Galatians 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
Galatians 5:17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
Galatians 5:18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
Galatians 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
Galatians 5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
Galatians 5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

I can see how these verses can easily be misunderstood, if not understood in context. Let's look at another place where Paul states the same thing which is 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 below.

1 Corinthians 6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
1 Corinthians 6:10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
1 Corinthians 6:11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Is Paul saying in the verses above that if a Christian does these things he will not go to Heaven? No, not at all. In 1 Corinthians 6:11 Paul states what is different about a Christian and how we get to Heaven. Notice he does not state what we have done, but what was done to us.

So here is what Paul is saying in both Galatians 5:16-21 and 1 Corinthians 6:9-10. There is no sin in Heaven and no sin is able to enter Heaven. So the unsaved whose sins have not been washed away and will not be given a new body cannot enter Heaven. We Christians will not be allowed in Heaven either with our old sinful bodies, but will be given new sinless glorified bodies at the Rapture. Paul was really telling the Galatians and Corinthians what they already new. Would you expect to see people sinning in Heaven? Certainly not! So Paul is stating that our destination is a place without sin and we will not be sinning there. As this is our destination and future home, he extorts us to try as best we can to live that way now.

This is a perfect explanation. Thank you. I'm going to print this, or copy it and show my aunt this weekend. I'm dying, yet still sin. Imagine how that feels. It's not a good thing. My sins disgust me. I'm happy God sees the already perfected version of us.

mattfivefour

InsuranceGuy, I assume you are referring to Galatians 5:16-21 as below.

Galatians 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
Galatians 5:17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
Galatians 5:18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
Galatians 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
Galatians 5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
Galatians 5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

I can see how these verses can easily be misunderstood, if not understood in context. Let's look at another place where Paul states the same thing which is 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 below.

1 Corinthians 6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
1 Corinthians 6:10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
1 Corinthians 6:11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Is Paul saying in the verses above that if a Christian does these things he will not go to Heaven? No, not at all. In 1 Corinthians 6:11 Paul states what is different about a Christian and how we get to Heaven. Notice he does not state what we have done, but what was done to us.

So here is what Paul is saying in both Galatians 5:16-21 and 1 Corinthians 6:9-10. There is no sin in Heaven and no sin is able to enter Heaven. So the unsaved whose sins have not been washed away and will not be given a new body cannot enter Heaven. We Christians will not be allowed in Heaven either with our old sinful bodies, but will be given new sinless glorified bodies at the Rapture. Paul was really telling the Galatians and Corinthians what they already new. Would you expect to see people sinning in Heaven? Certainly not! So Paul is stating that our destination is a place without sin and we will not be sinning there. As this is our destination and future home, he extorts us to try as best we can to live that way now.
This is the best reply in this entire thread! :thumbup

Goodboy

Won't Be Long Now!
This is a perfect explanation. Thank you. I'm going to print this, or copy it and show my aunt this weekend. I'm dying, yet still sin. Imagine how that feels. It's not a good thing. My sins disgust me. I'm happy God sees the already perfected version of us.
Great! Hope that helps! :)

I was really surprised that your aunt quoted Galatians, as that book really emphasizes the fact the we are saved by grace alone. The Galatians were adding circumcision as a requirement for salvation. A simple one time act that almost everyone has done today. However, Paul was so upset with the Galatians that he called them "foolish" and asked "who has bewitched you?" Foolish is quite the insult especially to a church. Bewitched shows just how far they have backsliden in Paul's eyes. While I could trick someone to believe a Van is a truck, I could not trick someone to believe a van is a mouse. That is what being bewitched is like, thinking that a van is a mouse. :loco

Galatians 3:1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?
Galatians 3:2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
Galatians 3:3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?
Galatians 3:4 Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain.
Galatians 3:5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
Galatians 3:6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.
Galatians 3:7 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.
Galatians 3:8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.
Galatians 3:9 So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.

Last edited:

Cindy S.

When he comes, will he find faith? Luke 18:8
Thank you all for the replies. I have read through them and think I understand a bit better and can come up with a rebuttal for this weekend. My Aunt is very strict in the sense she believes if you still drink after being saved, you just can't be saved. This helped!
My dad became a drunkard after my mom died, he struggled with depression but I believe he was saved first.

Back