Full Electric Autos?

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
There seems to be such a huge push to get us all into electric autos. The whole thing seems counterproductive to me...

First, we all ready see rolling blackouts in some parts of the country because the current electrical grid can't keep up with the current demand. Electric autos increase that demand. There doesn't appear to be a concerted effort to strengthen our electrical grid with more energy production.

2nd, electric autos aren't green. The process that produces the batteries is anything but green and then you still have to generate the power that charges the car batteries. That power generation, for the most part, is not green.

When I'm on a road trip I might drive 500-650 miles each day. Further in states with higher speed limits. The new electric Ford F-150 has an approximate range of 230 miles... so you can probably trust it for 200 miles. If I'm on a road trip do I want to stop for an extended period 2 or 3 or 4 times during each day to recharge the vehicle battery? No way. And how long will it take me to find a place where I can plug the vehicle in every time I have to stop?

In my opinion, we're a long way from a world full of electric autos, but the markets are changing to electric auto manufacturing and battery manufacturing for those autos at a brisk pace. I don't see the same level of effort going in to charging stations.

Give me an electric vehicle that can go 750 miles or further without a charge. Give me super easy/fast access to charging stations that are economical to use and anywhere on the continent, and I might start thinking about it... How will they get us out of our gassers? Will they make gasoline so expensive that we can no longer afford it? Probably. What happens when we've all got cute electric cars with batteries running on empty. Is there a hidden agenda here? I'm guessing so.

mattfivefour

TT, those are the very things keeping me from considering an electric. And the price, of course. But I also have sincere environmental concerns: the amount of pollution in the mining of the necessary elements for the creating of the batteries plus in the manufacture of all electric cars is extremely concerning. :sad

TheRedeemed

My car is due to be upgraded this month and the only cars available in the dealership are hybrids.

In the UK it's going to be illegal to sell a pure petrol or diesel vehicle from 2025, and hybrids after 2030.

Glasgow City council has already started to ban cars and vehicles and motorcylces from over 7 years old being allowed in the city limits

So looks like my next vehicle will be half petrol half electric! And the next one, God willing in 2024, I bet will only be fully electric ones to buy new.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
My car is due to be upgraded this month and the only cars available in the dealership are hybrids.

In the UK it's going to be illegal to sell a pure petrol or diesel vehicle from 2025, and hybrids after 2030.

Glasgow City council has already started to ban cars and vehicles and motorcylces from over 7 years old being allowed in the city limits

So looks like my next vehicle will be half petrol half electric! And the next one, God willing in 2024, I bet will only be fully electric ones to buy new.

Does the UK's electrical grid have plenty of juice?

Baby Yoda

We have a hybrid, a Chevy Volt, which hubby bought as kind of a science experiment. The state paid for us to get a charging station in our garage, It's a nice car, but it doesn't run as well in the winter. We use our Jeeps for cold weather.

My sister just bought a full electric -- with no option to run on gas-- that seems silly to me. What if you can't charge? Car is no good.

BaptistJohn

Opinions are like noses every one has one but for this man I would NEVER buy or drive an 100% Electric car.
It would take several pages to list the reason why not but my number one fear is being in the middle of Nowhere and my battery going dead.
For any one that wants one or loves them
Well like my southern wife says God Bless you.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Electric cars would be an issue for me. I forget most of the time to recharge my electric lawn mower, so if I had to recharge my car, lets just say my daily trips would be delayed a few hours each time. :dilbert

I've been told I'm a candidate for a device that they insert into your body that sends electrical pulses up your spine to control pain. When I learned I'd have to plug my self into an outlet to recharge every single day I decided that maybe the procedure can wait... I'll keep getting the pain management I'm getting now for as long as I can get it...

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
TT, those are the very things keeping me from considering an electric. And the price, of course. But I also have sincere environmental concerns: the amount of pollution in the mining of the necessary elements for the creating of the batteries plus in the manufacture of all electric cars is extremely concerning. :sad

I really like my Prius. I wish it were one of the plug-ins so there'd be some actual range for driving electric only, but it wasn't available where I was living at the time. As it is, if I drive my Prius gently and don't use heat or AC, I can roundtrip to/from either of the close grocery stores or roundtrip to/from the close Walgreen's without using a drop of gas. Great gas mileage, handling, and performance, and the air coming out the back is cleaner than the air going in, so it's a mobile air cleaner :lol I do change the air filter more often than recommended because it makes a noticeable difference in mileage :smile and same thing with using BP instead of other gas. The car started up with no issues all winter, even when the windchill was -58F and the car had been sitting in the driveway overnight and many day/nghts (only space in Dad's garage for one (his) car).

The only real issue I've encountered with the Prius is the sun/moon roof seal :furious :rant :mad :frust :cry

I wanted to buy American when I got the car, but there wasn't anything that came close in mileage, or initial quality, or features/design I needed/wanted. And there's not even once Chinese part. Everything, to include the fob battery, was made in Japan :smile So there, too, evil China! :tongue

Someone I know has a Nissan Leaf (electric only) and he loves it. He's in an urban area and not subject to long-distance driving, so it makes sense for him.

I wouldn't have an electric-only car if I were in Alaska or anyplace else I might need to drive any distance, or the potential for having to overnight(s) roadside in a blizzard.

Last edited:

Andy C

I've been told I'm a candidate for a device that they insert into your body that sends electrical pulses up your spine to control pain. When I learned I'd have to plug my self into an outlet to recharge every single day I decided that maybe the procedure can wait... I'll keep getting the pain management I'm getting now for as long as I can get it...
If we get a chance to meet next month, I will bring an extra long extension cord.:frank

Andy C

Yet you still go on daily runs - you’re worse than me.

Praying you can tolerate it until the moment we fly away.

amystery

Give me an electric vehicle that can go 750 miles or further without a charge. Give me super easy/fast access to charging stations that are economical to use and anywhere on the continent, and I might start thinking about it...

This is exactly what my husband says! No way until we get 500 + miles per charge, and charging happens as fast as filling up your gas tank takes.

Baby Yoda

There's also the problem of finding charging stations when you travel. We've tried an app that locates the station, and tells us there are 6 (or however many) charging units there, but when we arrive the entire station has been offline. No electricity for us that day, so thankful we also had the gas engine.

Wings Like Eagles

What is likely going to settle out is that each family will have an all-electric that will be used for short commutes and driving around in one's community and then a longer-range gas-powered vehicle for trips and longer commutes. It actually makes sense and, in some areas of high air pollution, it is pretty important. Breathing clean air is something that everyone should enjoy. (That is why I deplore the constant masking of children--even as young as two--demanded by some. Children do not transmit the virus because they don't even get infected with it).

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Electric cars are already expensive and getting more so. Charging stations used to be free, but now they cost to use, and prices have been going up (like everything else).
Eventually, only the wealthy will have electric cars because of the cost of the vehicles, charging stations, use of charging stations, and electricity. Everyone else will be on mass transit, bicycles, and foot.

There are only so many electric chargers that can be put in around the community, use will become very expensive, etc. As more and more people get shoved into boxes instead of single family homes, there will be more and more parking space/charging station issues, especially if electricity gets rationed, whether directly, via carbon credits, or via social credit score shaming/rewards for large or small carbon footprint.

In the U.S. and Canada, we're so used to most families having at least one vehicle and the freedom and ability to pretty much drive as far as we want, wherever as we want, whenever we want, that the idea of most families not having a vehicle, and the consequent limitations in shopping, visiting family and friends, travel, etc. is very foreign/hard to grasp. Other countries already de facto ration vehicle travel fuel via fuel coupons and/or very high fuel costs. Loss of the travel freedom we have here would be horrible :cry

:pray :pray :amen :amen