From Humans To Crops: Could Genetic Modification Be Killing The Bees?

AngelWings

I'm A Work In Progress
Could genetically modified crops be killing bees?
John McDonald, Special to The Chronicle

With reports coming in about a scourge affecting honeybees, researchers are launching a drive to find the cause of the destruction. The reasons for rapid colony collapse are not clear. Old diseases, parasites and new diseases are being looked at.

Over the past 100 or so years, beekeepers have experienced colony losses from bacterial agents (foulbrood), mites (varroa and tracheal) and other parasites and pathogens. Beekeepers have dealt with these problems by using antibiotics, miticides or integrated pest management.

While losses, particularly in overwintering, are a chronic condition, most beekeepers have learned to limit their losses by staying on top of new advice from entomologists. Unlike the more common problems, this new die-off has been virtually instantaneous throughout the country, not spreading at the slower pace of conventional classical disease.

As an interested beekeeper with some background in biology, I think it might be fruitful to investigate the role of genetically modified or transgenic farm crops. Although we are assured by nearly every bit of research that these manipulations of the crop genome are safe for both human consumption and the environment, looking more closely at what is involved here might raise questions about those assumptions.

Read Full Article Here:

http://www.raidersnewsnetwork.com/full.php?news=3585

:idunno: :fear :thinking:

AngelWings

I'm A Work In Progress
I love clover honey and I use it all the time. I think I better stock up! I love honey in hot tea, better then sugar.