Forbidding meat

NewWine2020

Canada announced recently that they are building a factory to mass produce food made from crickets. Apparently it’s a source of protein. When that comes here the nether region will freeze over before I eat that. I’ll do beans and rice first as I understand those items together make a protein. I’m sure part of the motivation is to keep us weak and unhealthy and easier to control.
That is so nasty. I hope those places are well guarded, it would be a shame if they suddenly went up in flames the way that other food processing sites around the world are.

The prospect of normalizing eating food that is only consumed by the desperately poor in 3rd world nations is simply the elites trolling the common person.

It's not just about protein either; humans abseloutly NEED fat in our diet to function properly.

My wife and I both found we function and feel a lot better following a not-super-stringent version of the paleo diet where we minimize carb intake from refined grains and emphasize fiber, protein and fat. We can't afford to eat much red meat but we do eat a lot of chicken, pork and fish.

I really do love me some pasta, potatoes and rice though! :)

ChildofLight

SPAM - a stable staple. Mmmm…good - and good for you! And even more economical now that the Inflation Reduction Act has been signed!
I’m not sure about economical anymore. Almost $4 a can for only a few slices from it. Maybe my 8 slices are too big? Maybe they need to be slivers? Maybe one slice in a big pot of beans that seem to eat on for ever and ever.

NewWine2020

Spam. One of the surest signs that at least at some point, America was a truly blessed country.
For me, Spam is the memory of cubscout campouts in cold weather in Northern AZ...now it's become part of my "prepper pantry!"

I think proper enjoyment of spam really does require a less civilized setting in which one has expended a lot of calories over the course of a chilly winter Day, but if all these conditions have been met...it's delicious indeed!

MapleLeaf

Aren't crickets kosher? I know grasshoppers are specifically. John the Baptist survived on grasshoppers and honey, and he was the greatest of all the prophets before Jesus. If God thought the hopping insects were bad for people to eat, why would He allow the Israelites to eat them?
Because people were starving and He wanted to give them an alternative should a famine strike out their livestock. I don't think the description of John the Baptist eating locusts was meant for us to go "oh wow, he was living it up in the desert". More like cringe and see he was living in deprivation out of devotion. There is a reason he covered them in honey. They nasty!!

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
Because people were starving and He wanted to give them an alternative should a famine strike out their livestock. I don't think the description of John the Baptist eating locusts was meant for us to go "oh wow, he was living it up in the desert". More like cringe and see he was living in deprivation out of devotion. There is a reason he covered them in honey. They nasty!!

As I understand the cricket flour, it provides a good source of protein and doesn't have the "nasty" factor that the whole bug does. It's just powder. I've never tried it myself, but I'm really not opposed to it or alarmed by it.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven

Trout like them and I personally would never want to deny a fish its meal.

MapleLeaf

As I understand the cricket flour, it provides a good source of protein and doesn't have the "nasty" factor that the whole bug does. It's just powder. I've never tried it myself, but I'm really not opposed to it or alarmed by it.
You should be alarmed when it's being used to destroy the livelihoods and freedoms of literally billions of people. We weren't meant to primarily eat bugs. It's just there to fill the gaps until we can get our hands on real food. I've been reading how it causes cancers in humans because it contains a type of protein we weren't mean to digest it in large and exclusive quantities. These factories are not being built in good faith so I will oppose them at every step.

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
You should be alarmed when it's being used to destroy the livelihoods and freedoms of literally billions of people. We weren't meant to primarily eat bugs. It's just there to fill the gaps until we can get our hands on real food. I've been reading how it causes cancers in humans because it contains a type of protein we weren't mean to digest it in large and exclusive quantities. These factories are not being built in good faith so I will oppose them at every step.

I don't have the mental energy to worry about crickets. Maybe you should take a step back from the doom and gloom as well. They say everything causes cancer anyways. I just don't see a biblical basis to be this upset about it

SkyRider

When considering this whole meat topic - the lack of it or our desire for it and the I've-got-to-have-it mentality - has anyone thought about our maybe past repeated trips to McDonald's Golden Arches to satisfy our Big Mac attacks by craving a large beef burger and must have it now fixation? Are we not guilty of worshipping a golden calf? Think about it. Repent sinners!

lismore

Canada announced recently that they are building a factory to mass produce food made from crickets. Apparently it’s a source of protein.
It doesn't sound very appetizing- hopefully it won't catch on. If no-one buys it then it won't be commercially viable :)

pixelpusher

I saw a documentary about some tribe in the jungle who ate these giant spiders. They'd blow dart them or smack em on the head or something, wrap them in big leaves and put them in the coals until they cooked and the hairs burned off. It was supposed to taste like crab or lobster.

Andy C