Food for Thought

ExultingInHim

My elderly mom is always happy to find out what food is on her plate so that she can season it properly with salt, pepper, butter, etc. She cuts her food into proper size bites. Then, she lays down her utensils, looks at her plate, and says she's not hungry. It's an exercise in creativity to coerce her into eating a few bites.
Now, mom has some dementia and vision problems, so we just go along for the ride.
But recently when watching this daily routine, I had some rabbit trail thoughts.
How often do we, as Christians, spend our time underlining, highlighting, note taking in our Bibles? How much Scripture jewelry and Scripture apparel do we wear? How many Scripture logos are on our cars?
Now I do these same things. But what caused me to think is, after all of this "preparing" ... am I really chewing on and ingesting the Word of God so that it does its work in me? Am I spending quality time with Him, opposed to enjoying my own creativity? Or do I just sit back and say I'm not hungry for His Word after all?
Food for thought.

antitox

My bible is chock full of those notes highlights, etc. Each time I read my bible through again and again I read those same notes, underlines, and highlights. They have references to many other scriptures and it makes a big difference how much I retain. My bible is the most valuable item in my apt. Also, I really don't put stuff on my car or wear much of anything with logos, but I do have one T-shirt with "Team Jesus" on it. :biggrin2

Andy C

My elderly mom is always happy to find out what food is on her plate so that she can season it properly with salt, pepper, butter, etc. She cuts her food into proper size bites. Then, she lays down her utensils, looks at her plate, and says she's not hungry. It's an exercise in creativity to coerce her into eating a few bites.
Now, mom has some dementia and vision problems, so we just go along for the ride.
But recently when watching this daily routine, I had some rabbit trail thoughts.
How often do we, as Christians, spend our time underlining, highlighting, note taking in our Bibles? How much Scripture jewelry and Scripture apparel do we wear? How many Scripture logos are on our cars?
Now I do these same things. But what caused me to think is, after all of this "preparing" ... am I really chewing on and ingesting the Word of God so that it does its work in me? Am I spending quality time with Him, opposed to enjoying my own creativity? Or do I just sit back and say I'm not hungry for His Word after all?
Food for thought.
Good posts, and prayers for your mom with dementia.

This posts reminds me of a story I read years ago, I think from Pastor Jon Courson.

A middle age woman was driving on a busy street, and she was weaving in and out of different lanes, flipping the bird to other drivers, and cussing like a Sailor. A policeman pulls up behind her, and flashes his lights. She sees the lights, and is thankful he will finally pull over the idiot driving in front of her. So she moves to the next lane to give the policeman easier access to pull the dummy over. She is surprised when the policeman also switches lanes and moves in directly behind her. Finally, she pulls over. The policeman walks up to her window and orders her outside, then places cuffs on her and arrests her. Shocked, she asks “why am I arrested”? The policeman tells her that he noticed plastered all over her car were Christian sayings such as “Jesus loves you” “God is Good”, and the fish symbols were everywhere. He said he knew that could not be her car based on her bahavior, so he assumed she was driving a stolen car!

Almost Heaven

Food for thought.
Great post. Prayers for your Mom. Caregiving for dementia parents is a tough one. I cared for my Dad with vascular dementia. Lots of ups and downs and laughter and tears. I received a lot of prayer support from the warriors here and my Dad was saved before he passed.
:hug :pray