Florida DOE Rejects Math Textbooks Over Inclusion of CRT

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
The Florida Department of Education announced it had rejected 41 percent of submitted mathematics textbooks because the books contained "prohibited topics" such as Critical Race Theory and Social Emotional Learning.

"Reasons for rejecting textbooks included references to Critical Race Theory (CRT), inclusions of Common Core, and the unsolicited addition of Social Emotional Learning (SEL) in mathematics," the Florida DOE said in a press release Friday.

"The highest number of books rejected were for grade levels K-5, where an alarming 71 percent were not appropriately aligned with Florida standards or included prohibited topics and unsolicited strategies," the release continued. "Despite rejecting 41 percent of materials submitted, every core mathematics course and grade is covered with at least one textbook."

Of the 132 textbooks submitted for use in Florida's public schools, 54 were rejected, including 28 that incorporated "prohibited topics or unsolicited strategies, including CRT" and 14 others that do not properly align with state standards and incorporate "prohibited topics or unsolicited strategies, including CRT." The remaining 12 books were not accepted purely because they do not properly align with state standards.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/lando...of-crt-n2605953?utm_campaign=rightrailsticky1

This is good news for Floridians who have school age children. Still, don't trust your school. Verify everything they're doing in your child's classroom.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Another check in the box for the Governor. Too bad they have very humid weather, and hurricanes, or we would move there ASAP.

Amen. Florida would be on top of my list for for places to relocate if their climate was a wee bit different than it is. The thing I like least about Florida is all the old people living there... just way too many of them. I want to see lots of kids playing and whatnot.

Carl

This struggle has been going on with the undesirable content in school text books since prior to 1985 that I followed. A couple in Texas back then read and fought over any text book in the USA that had this new world educational stuff in it. Soon they were getting requests to speak about what is in the school text books from all over the world! This stuff started with Dewey the library cataloguer. Each generation got to see an improved and more visible version.

Lynn

Longing for Home
Another check in the box for the Governor. Too bad they have very humid weather, and hurricanes, or we would move there ASAP.
Florida is the third most populated state in the US. We were there for a week last October. Traffic was impossible. People were everywhere. I think I'll stay in the greater Midwest with conservative neighbors, reasonable climate, & less traffic if you don't settle down in one of the large cities.

Reason & Hope

This struggle has been going on with the undesirable content in school text books since prior to 1985 that I followed. A couple in Texas back then read and fought over any text book in the USA that had this new world educational stuff in it. Soon they were getting requests to speak about what is in the school text books from all over the world! This stuff started with Dewey the library cataloguer. Each generation got to see an improved and more visible version.
I remember Lynne Cheney (wife of Dick Cheney) trying to protect textbooks from being rewritten by leftists. She was specifically focused on history and civics books and standards. Sadly, not enough Republicans understood how important educating the next generation was.

One of the things textbook publishers are pushing is Social Emotional Learning -- yes, in math. I loved teaching math to my kids* and my youngest is going for his PhD in mathematics. And guess what? No Social Emotional Learning was needed. SEL is how leftists tear down real education and substitute indoctrination and emotional manipulation instead. If an enemy of this country wanted to bring us down without firing bullets, they would give us the awful curricula that have been in use for the last generation.

*except for the year I taught algebra to my daughter. :frust

RobinB

Amen. Florida would be on top of my list for for places to relocate if their climate was a wee bit different than it is. The thing I like least about Florida is all the old people living there... just way too many of them. I want to see lots of kids playing and whatnot.

My hubs would love to move there, he hates cold weather. But with our luck as soon as we did the governor would be replaced and take the state in a worse direction.

RobinB

Of the 132 textbooks submitted for use in Florida's public schools, 54 were rejected, including 28 that incorporated "prohibited topics or unsolicited strategies, including CRT" and 14 others that do not properly align with state standards and incorporate "prohibited topics or unsolicited strategies, including CRT." The remaining 12 books were not accepted purely because they do not properly align with state standards.

And how did they work CRT into a math text anyway? Make the word problems anti-white people?

Cloud Watcher

https://www.conservativereview.com/...mbat-privilege-and-oppression-2657174173.html

National math council calls on schools to focus on social justice in their mathematics lessons to combat 'privilege' and 'oppression'​

The National Council of Supervisors of Mathematics called on public schools to change curriculum in order to advance "social justice" causes like combating "privilege" and "oppression" in mathematics.

The organization trains math teachers across the U.S. and Canada and aims to "improve the world" through better teaching of mathematic concepts.

Their latest statement says math teachers need to also include "social justice" in their lesson plans.

"A social justice stance requires a systemic approach that includes fair and equitable teaching practices, high expectations for all students, access to rich, rigorous, and relevant mathematics, and strong family/community relationships to promote positive mathematics learning and achievement," read the NCSM statement. "Equally important, a social justice stance interrogates and challenges the roles power, privilege, and oppression play in the current unjust system of mathematics education—and in society as a whole.

The NCSM called for teachers to acknowledge that current mathematics curriculum is "unjust" because it is "grounded in a legacy of institutional discrimination based on race, ethnicity, class, and gender.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

So even the "experts" have been bitten by the social justice bug. Crazy. Math is objective, not subjective. It's about numbers, and numbers don't care about how much melanin is in a peron's skin, what type of reproductive organs the person possesses, or how much wealth and prestige the person has obtained.

Carl

The National Council of Supervisors of Mathematics called on public schools to change curriculum in order to advance "social justice" causes like combating "privilege" and "oppression" in mathematics.
Please tell me how that will improve teaching of mathmatics? We got along fine with 'readin, writin, and rithmatic'. In fact when Michigan became a state the focus was on did Michigan schools have a bible program?

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
And how did they work CRT into a math text anyway? Make the word problems anti-white people?

Jimmy oppresses 6 minorities in a day by nature of being white. If 2/3 of Jimmy's microaggressions are committed against women, 1/3 are against gendernonbinaries, and half his victims are black, how many of his victims are black women?

Probably something like that