First Week Flurry Made Possible by GOP’s Sweeping Rule Changes

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
https://washingtonstand.com/news/first-week-flurry-made-possible-by-gops-sweeping-rule-changes-

For all of the false starts, the House’s new leadership team is more than making up for lost time. With last week’s drama in his rearview mirror, Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) is hitting the ground running with an armload of bills — all thanks, Majority Leader Steve Scalise (R-La.) says, to the Republicans’ decision to stand up and fix the process.

“We needed to change the way that Washington works to empower members of Congress to actually fight for the people who are struggling out there,” Scalise told Family Research Council President Tony Perkins on “Washington Watch.” Was it messy and uncomfortable? Absolutely. “But frankly,” he pointed out, “this is a debate that’s been years in the making.” As far as he’s concerned, the four days it took conservatives to hash out a new rules package were nothing compared to what Americans got in return: more accessibility and accountability.

“I think people who watched last week were encouraged that they heard real debate on how Washington should work better.” Democrats “were going nuts,” Scalise agreed, because they knew “their party was over.” No more “thousands of pages of bills [like] omnibus spending bills [worth] $1.7 trillion dropp[ed] by the dark of night [and] voted on the next day, when nobody has a chance to read it. All kinds of unrelated items that have nothing to do with basic government funding. That’s the kind of stuff
have been sick of for a long time.”

Ultimately, Scalise insisted, “spending a few days to fix what’s broken with Washington so that we can spend the next two years fighting so that Washington can stand up for the people who are struggling across America is refreshing.”

.......the House’s second-in-command made clear, “We’re going to fight for [the] unborn. We’re going to fight for our most vulnerable. And we’re going to actually give a voice to members of Congress who have been shut out of this process for way too long.”

Republicans started by killing the president’s plan to more than double the size of the IRS. You know, Scalise half-joked, “I have never gotten one phone call in all my years in Congress of anybody asking me to add more people to the IRS. I get a lot of people calling saying we’d like more Border Patrol agents.” By a vote of 221-210, Republicans took the first step in putting the expansion on ice. And the reality is, Scalise warned, the IRS isn’t going to go after the millionaires and billionaires with this plan. They’re coming for the small business owners and single moms. How does he know that? Because Republicans offered an amendment stopping these new agents from targeting lower income families. “And every Democrat voted against it,” Scalise pointed out.....

Baby Yoda

Watchman
And the reality is, Scalise warned, the IRS isn’t going to go after the millionaires and billionaires with this plan. They’re coming for the small business owners and single moms. How does he know that? Because Republicans offered an amendment stopping these new agents from targeting lower income families. “And every Democrat voted against it,” Scalise pointed out.....

Totally believe that. :sad

Back