Firearm Found Inside Mpls. School Staff Member’s Locker

Littlejoe

Firearm Found Inside Mpls. School Staff Member’s Locker « CBS Minnesota

A staff member who was worried about safety after the tragedy in Connecticut brought her own loaded gun to an elementary school on Wednesday.

It happened at Seward Montessori in south Minneapolis.

Police were called after the staff member told a teacher, who then told the principal.

“It’s unnerving to have that type of call come in when your children are there, and you hope they’re safe,” said Jeanette Wiedemeier-Bower.

Wiemeier-Bower’s 10-year-old son, and 13-year-old daughter attend Seward Montesorri. When she got a call from the school saying a loaded gun had been found, she was shocked and scared.

“I broke down,” she aid. “I had a little mini-breakdown at my work and then I pulled it together. The message said don’t come, everything is fine. So I knew they were okay.”

Police say a staff member in her late 50s brought a .357 magnum revolver into the school. It was loaded with five rounds. She put it in
in a faculty lounge and told a teacher. That teacher then told school officials, who alerted police.

Investigators say this is extremely rare.

“This is the first instance that I can think of that involves a staff member,” said Sgt. William Palmer of the Minneapolis Police Department.

A spokesman said the staff member has worked in the school district for 21 years without incident. She was put on administrative leave. She told police that she was concerned about what happened in Newtown, Conn.

Noah Cotterill

She should've buried it deep on her person, and told no one. No one should know you have it until you absolutely need to use it. Then they'll be thankful.

That kind of happened with a teacher here in Oregon (she legally carried and info got out. She was scared of her ex husband). The school pressured her into ceasing to carry her firearm.

Lily

Looking Up
This is proof that having a gun-free zone does not make people feel safer. People feel safer if they have a fighting chance to defend themselves, rather than be sitting ducks in a political correctness experiment.

Now, on the other hand, it's not right to break the law. There needs to be a re-evaluation of policies... the sooner the better.

I sympathize with her, (speaking from a worldly viewpoint:) who wouldn't be frightened? She's probably having a hard time going to work inside of a school. Who can blame her? Bet she's not the only one either.

Littlejoe

Last year we had a cashier at our local Walgreens,who after 3 other robberies had his handgun with him,and as the 3 armed robbers came in,and was leading 4 employees into the cooler there he fired warning shots,he was fired(actually made nation wide news).He was fired,he probably saved 3 lives..

araj54

She probably made a poor career move, but her thought process was driven by her survival instincts.
The fear of being a victim is why people get conceal carry permits.

Lily

Looking Up
Last year we had a cashier at our local Walgreens,who after 3 other robberies had his handgun with him,and as the 3 armed robbers came in,and was leading 4 employees into the cooler there he fired warning shots,he was fired(actually made nation wide news).He was fired,he probably saved 3 lives..
Makes you wonder, I can't remember how this reasoning came about. To disarm potential victims? Used to be, way back-in-the-day people made reasonable attempts to be ready and able at self-defense. A policeman is almost never within reach to protect you, no matter how reasonable it sounds to "let the police handle it".

Add insult to injury, get fired for saving lives. Yeah, what's wrong with this picture?

mikalikat

Citizen
Good Lord......loose lips? Ever heard that one? The whole point of having a concealed weapon is that it's CONCEALED. That doesn't mean you let the entire world in on your secret, HOWEVER, the biggest problem I have with this is the question of whether or not she had a conceal carry permit. If she didn't, then she was illegal in her actions. She needed to go through the correct steps to legally have that firearm and then it was incumbent upon her to KEEP it on her. I went through NRA handgun certification last year and finally this year applied for and received my Conceal Carry Permit. This permit and right is not something I take lightly at all. I take it very seriously and I am always what my husband calls "situationally aware"--I am aware of what's going on around me at all times. I am in the process of searching for a holster so that I can have it on ME and not in my purse, where it's kept but it's kept safely in a gun bag that is zipped up and in a separate pocket of the purse where I can get to it in a few seconds. . It is ALWAYS with a full magazine, but I do have to go through a step or two before I could use it and I keep it that way for my protection and the protection of everyone around me. And I do NOT advertise to the world when I have it with me. I keep my mouth shut because when someone tries to pull some stupidity when I'm in a store or a building or wherever, that person will be on the receiving end of one whopper of a surprise. The whole point is to protect yourself from someone that doesn't think there's an obstacle in their way. Good Lord........:ohno