Finland and Sweden want into NATO, Turkey is going to Veto their membership!

athenasius

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...1d74ca-d2b0-11ec-886b-df76183d233f_story.html

Turkey is misbehaving again, being Putin's little helper inside the NATO alliance. Unfortunately they do have Veto power as a member of NATO. Considering Turkey's support of Russia in the past few years that membership ought to have been revoked long before now.

But it seems that Jen Psaki is "clarifying" things so who knows what will happen next.

an excerpt from the article:

"White House press secretary Jen Psaki said Friday that Washington is “working to clarify Turkey’s position” and believes there is “broad support” among NATO members for Finland and Sweden to join the alliance.

Secretary of State Antony Blinken is scheduled to meet his NATO counterparts, including the Turkish foreign minister, this weekend in Germany.
The top American diplomat for Europe, Karen Donfried, told reporters ahead of Blinken’s trip that the United States remains supportive of Finland and Sweden’s prospective NATO membership bids."

Maybe Blinken will do something useful finally and tell Turkey to leave NATO, but I'm not holding my breath.

Finland is formally requesting membership in NATO with Sweden expected to follow https://apnews.com/article/sweden-finland-sauli-niinisto-4ede1942b679dd15bd3021f9b194cbec

Armor of Light

Praising my Savior all the day long!
Considering Turkey's support of Russia in the past few years that membership ought to have been revoked long before now.
It seemed they were having a falling out while combating each other in Libya, I was thinking they would not be so friendly after that but turkey is still more Pro Russia than being a solid NATO member. And I have zero confidence in any team member this administration sends anywhere to have a pow wow.

daygo

It's stupid that a nation could do such a thing, if it was allowed then it proves nato is useless.