Finding faith

Goodboy

Hello everyone.
I apologise if this should be in another section.

I'm curious how you found/find your faith? I'm struggling with it. I grew up in church. I would consider myself somewhat knowledgeable of the Bible and Christianity. My father actually majored in Religion (which I have a funny story about).

BUT I'm stuck and need help proceeding in my faith. I need something. A voice. A touch. A nudge in the right direction. I feel like I'm just blowing in the wind asking for guidance and Im just left hanging there.
My Testimony
https://www.raptureforums.com/forums/threads/why-christianity.143270/

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
The Leader of my prayer group actually told me to "Bow down to using a transgender's pronouns so that I wouldn't risk my business." When I told her No that standing up for God's word was more important, she asked me "How will you support yourself?"
Wow!

I responded with "Don't you believe God will provide?"
Great answer!

I'm so glad you were able to get out of there, I'll be :pray ing that this new church is a good fit or that you'll find a good fit. Thanks for sharing your story! :)

Brother Albert R.

Sometimes I'm 100% positive there's a God...and then other times I just can't see how there is. There's just so many hurtles for me to overcome, it's extremely hard for me to say to myself "All will be revealed one day" and just blindly follow (I understand that its not blind for some, that the Bible is all they need).
Hello Danielson,
It would seem that even John the Baptist had trouble believing in Jesus....So Jesus told John's disciples to tell him what they are both seeing (miracles) and hearing (the good news).
Matt.11:2-4
After Jesus had finished instructing his twelve disciples, he went on from there to teach and preach in the towns of Galilee. When John, who was in prison, heard about the deeds of the Messiah, he sent his disciples to ask him, “Are you the one who is to come, or should we expect someone else?” Jesus replied, “Go back and report to John what you hear and see: The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is proclaimed to the poor. Blessed is anyone who does not stumble on account of me.”

We are also told to believe the report that the eyewitness have stated for us...
John 20:30-31
Jesus performed many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book. But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

I hope this helps
God bless
Albert

Danielson

Hello Danielson,
It would seem that even John the Baptist had trouble believing in Jesus....So Jesus told John's disciples to tell him what they are both seeing (miracles) and hearing (the good news).
Matt.11:2-4
After Jesus had finished instructing his twelve disciples, he went on from there to teach and preach in the towns of Galilee. When John, who was in prison, heard about the deeds of the Messiah, he sent his disciples to ask him, “Are you the one who is to come, or should we expect someone else?” Jesus replied, “Go back and report to John what you hear and see: The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is proclaimed to the poor. Blessed is anyone who does not stumble on account of me.”

We are also told to believe the report that the eyewitness have stated for us...
John 20:30-31
Jesus performed many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book. But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

I hope this helps
God bless
Albert
Thank you, Albert.

DanLMP

Regarding your questions of why God made the world the way it is I'll refer you to the apologist Ravi Zacharias:

When asked why God made the world the way it is Ravi's response was that God had 4 choices in what He could do
1) He could have created nothing at all
2) He could have created a world where there is no good or evil
3) He could have created a world where we could choose only good
4) He could have created this world where there is the possibility of good and evil, then we choose.

The only world that will support the concept of love is choice #4 because choice 4 is the only possible world in which we would have the free will to choose Him. In the other world choices, there are no choices.

You can find Ravi's short discussion of this on YouTube. He did an interview with John Ankerberg with the title "What are the possible worlds God could have created". It's a 3:47 video.

Here's my additional argument:

You will not find slam dunk proof of God's existence. You need to review all of the evidence and make a decision on which answer has the highest probability, God or not God. J Warner Wallace, an apologist and a cold case Detective, has written a book called "Cold Case Christianity" which I recommend, argues for Christianity along these lines.

For me, I asked myself the question, "what has the higher probability of being true...that absolutely no one used absolutely nothing to make absolutely everything or that someone used something to make everything?" The easy and most probable choice is that someone used something to make everything. Even scientists agree that before the universe came into existence that absolutely nothing existed.

So when God was creating what did He use as a blueprint for what He put into creation? The only thing available to Him was Himself. God used Himself as the model for all of the physical material and for all of the non physical material that He put into the universe. The non physical material is all of the information, emotions, morals, ethics etc. that you can't grab a hold of and put on a table.

Logic dictates that God expresses the highest level of each of these non physical characteristics. If God could act unloving then that would be the highest value that He could put into creation. We would then also have an nature that could be unloving. If that were the case however, we could not ask God why He would act unlovingly, all we could say to Him would be, "good job God in acting according to your nature".

The very fact that we accuse God of being unloving is proof that He isn't. It is not possible for us to have a higher value in our loving characteristic than God since the characteristic of love comes from God Himself.

So when you question essentialy why bad things happen to people it is not possible to assign the blame to God because He can ONLY act in our best interests.

We as humans have been conditioned to look for someone else to blame for the problems we have in the world without considering the idea that the reason stares us in the face when we look into a mirror.

Everyone else has given you the best advice that I always give when tackling questions about God. My answer always is, ask Him. If you approach Him honestly, respectfully and with an attitude of desiring to learn His answers, I guarantee you that He will find a way to answer your questions.

He might even send you to an online fellowship with people who care about everyone's salvation and have a strong desire to help them in their walk with God.

Dr. Michael Heiser, who studies and writes on Biblical Christian topics, wrote a book asking the question "what does God want". His very simple answer was, "God wants you".

Kerbluey

Hi Danielson. I’ve been reading your posts and praying for you. I haven’t read everyone’s responses, but I can tell you I’ve been where you’re at. I grew up in a similar type of church and concluded it was all emotionalism and show offs. Even the music was manipulative (slow song, upbeat song, slow song tapering off to silence with tongues, right?? ) Long story short I left God for years. I hated Him and His followers.

As I began to creep back to Him (it was lonely out there!) He led me to A Scientific Approach to Christianity by Robert Faid. He wasn’t a believer, he got terminal cancer, his wife’s church prayed for him, and God miraculously healed him. So, he began to investigate the Bible. There‘s a chapter on the staggering and incomprehensible statistics of one man (Jesus) fulfilling all the prophecies in one lifetime. It was exactly what I needed. Every time I have a doubt creep back or I don’t understand something I remind myself of this statistic. It helps me to trust God like a child.

Dr. David Reagan’s website has a page that explains it well. Jesus fulfilled over 300 prophecies, but if you take just 8 prophecies.....I’ll quote it.... “Multiplying all these probabilities together produces a number (rounded off) of 1×10 to the 28th power. Dividing this number by an estimate of the number of people who have lived since the time of these prophecies (88 billion) produces a probability of all 8 prophecies being fulfilled accidently in the life of one person. That probability is 1 in 10 to the 17th power or 1 in 100,000,000,000,000,000. That’s one in one hundred quadrillion!”

https://christinprophecy.org/articles/applying-the-science-of-probability-to-the-scriptures/

Graceismine

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I appreciate the kind words. Everyday it feels like a pit in my stomach that I can't shake. It's like I'm supposed to be doing something or acting on something. I just can't find it...
I get two words..........Repent and Yield! There are times as christians that we have to find ourselves back kneeling at the foot of the cross, no matter how long we have been on the journey. Jesus says to you, " Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble of heart, and you will find rest . For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.
Matt 11:28-30. God bless your heart Danielson .

RestInHim

Wow, what an amazing thread with such an amazing amount of truth and love and encouragement! This is truly the work of God! Let us praise God for all He is doing in and through the body of Christ!

Danielson, last week I was listening to Dr. Ravi Zacharias and I can't say enough about this man's intelligence and God's work in His life and what He is doing for His kingdom. I would encourage you as others pointed out to continue seeking God in His word, praying and continue to read/listen to others like the one's mentioned in this thread. We may all be different and unique individuals and our life has brought us different experiences but I believe we are all looking for the One thing that is the answer to our very need and that is our need to be loved. And, God is love.

:pray :pray :hug