Fentanyl

Discussion in 'Anything Goes Coffee Shop' started by Carl, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

I was watching C-Span this morning. It was a hearing on border security and why it is needed. One of the witnesses was talking about fentanyl. One of those testifying talked about the number of deaths from fentanyl overdoses, how it gets into the USA and where it comes from. The facts are that it is made in China and gets into the USA via two routes. Small orders come in via the postal service. Large orders come in through Mexico and south America gangs smuggling it in through the border.

I got to thinking about the source. China is such a closed society that it is doubtful that the Chinese government doesn't know about the fentanyl production in China and where it is going. Therefor China wants it to destroy our country, or at least, cause problems.

One other thought I had is how do we stop drug use? One thing that would make a difference is if schools would educate students on drugs, addictions, and what to say no too. Consider how successful schools were with teen age pregnancies. If that effort were directed toward addicting drug usage wouldn't it make a difference?

2. caligal

caligal Well-Known Member

What is it?

3. Kem

Kem Citizen

It is a very strong pain medication that is sometimes used for the pain of cancer and also for some others with severe chronic pain. The severe government clamp down on narcotic pain meds is fine to help reduce illegal use but has been very hard on those in intense chronic pain that need it just to carry out normal daily activities such as bathing, cleaning the house and cooking meals. As an RN, I have concerns for those who are suffering needlessly because doctors are now restricted from prescribing them except for small amounts in specific cases.

4. Andy C

Andy C Well-Known Member

Good post, and yesterday I read an article about what you said and the problems many are having now as these drugs are becoming more restricted. This one man has had severe pain for years, and only this drug helped him have any type of life, and the Dr suddenly cut him off, no weaning period while transistioning to another pain med.

5. Everlasting Life

Everlasting Life Through Faith in Jesus

Thing with fentanyl is small amounts just on the skin can be fatal. Police and first responders are being sent to the hospital after being exposed during searches and sometimes needing two doses of narcan to recover.

I think you are absolutely correct! This type of warfare happened with Opium. Britain pummelled China with it and resulted in opium wars with one another lasting until late 1800's. So, they know, by experience, how to use drugs to weaken a country...which happened to China.

Addictions are so tough, especially with parents often (not always) imbibing as well. Part of recovery seems to be good support systems of family and friends.....and Christ. Sometimes with salvation the cravings are immediately withdrawn, others, for whatever reason, it's a process.

6. Círeth

Círeth Well-Known Member

My high school had an excellent no drugs, no drink education in addition to sex ed (no sex before marriage 'cause it was a catholic school). I'm not sure how many people listened though because adults are ignorant idiots who know nothing and teenagers know everything. :p

Or so thought many of my teenage classmates.

7. Kem

Kem Citizen

That is usually when one handles street drugs that have been mixed with cocaine. Prescription fentanyl is often given via a transdermal patch.

8. Tall Timbers

Tall Timbers Imperfect but forgiven

I've been having this discussion with different folks because I have chronic pain and there are many who are far worse off than I am. For some, I believe, pain management trumps everything. New rules since the war against the opioid epidemic began have made it very difficult or impossible for people who need regular strong pain meds to get them.

Kerbluey, Círeth, caligal and 3 others like this.
  9. SonSeeker

SonSeeker Well-Known Member

I too, have been living with chronic pain for years. Over-the-counter pain meds don't even begin to diminish the pain.
    A few years ago, before the huge crackdown on fentanyl, my doctor prescribed the transdermal patch to get me away from the opioid meds. Those patches worked, and I didn't get addicted to them simply because I followed the directions. What a concept! Of course, now that they're no longer available, I'm back to the opioids.:( And praying for the soon arrival of a glorified body.:thumbup

Kerbluey, Círeth, caligal and 3 others like this.
  10. Tall Timbers

Tall Timbers Imperfect but forgiven

Are you having to constantly jump through hoops to get the opioids now?

Every opioid I've ever been prescribed with the exception of morphine has given me severe nausea. Even with anti-nausea meds taken in tandem I can't take the opioids for much longer than about 30 hours before I prefer the pain over the nausea..