Female entering... question about shaving

ldonjohn

"God said it, that settles it!"
Is it true after using an electric razor for a while makes the beard grow in all directions? Somebody told me that and I'm just not sure about it. I got my son one for Christmas and was wondering.

I started using an electric razor at about age 18. Tried straight razors a few times, but after many nicks & cuts to my face I decided to us only the electric razor. I get a good close shave without the cuts, blood, & stinging.
Oh, I am 75 years old, today, and do not consider myself to an "old man."

Jonathan

Have had better luck with straight razor but have beard most of the time. Dad was opposite and did better with electric. To each their own. My brothers also prefer straight razor.
Every man's facial hair is different. Mine grows very slowly but is a pain to tend to because it is soft and wiry. You'd think that would make it easier to shave, but for me it isn't. I imagine having strong facial hair is easier to shave because it doesn't evade the blade so easily. Also, I have super sensitive skin which makes a regular razor blade a recipe for facial and cosmetic disaster, even with aftershave ointments.

So, I stick with an electric Braun razor which tends to get the job done.

For those who have better folicular (is that a word?) than i do, I encourage you to look into an old fashioned safety razor, the kind where you buy the actual razor blades by bulk and attach them. You will save tons of money that way, instead of paying out the wazoo for blade replacements for modern razors.

It does take a bit of practice to get the hang of it though.

Eric Nicholas

Every man's facial hair is different. Mine grows very slowly but is a pain to tend to because it is soft and wiry. You'd think that would make it easier to shave, but for me it isn't. I imagine having strong facial hair is easier to shave because it doesn't evade the blade so easily. Also, I have super sensitive skin which makes a regular razor blade a recipe for facial and cosmetic disaster, even with aftershave ointments.

So, I stick with an electric Braun razor which tends to get the job done.

For those who have better folicular (is that a word?) than i do, I encourage you to look into an old fashioned safety razor, the kind where you buy the actual razor blades by bulk and attach them. You will save tons of money that way, instead of paying out the wazoo for blade replacements for modern razors.

It does take a bit of practice to get the hang of it though.

I definitely agree. I use both a straight razor and a safety razor. The safety razor is a great way to get an awesome, cost-efficient, close shave with less irritation than the popular razors of today. It's also a great option if the cutthroat makes you nervous. When I feel like doing a bit of a ritual, I break out the straight razor, though. Excellent times and the smell... ah... It's a great, soothing experience.

Jonathan

I definitely agree. I use both a straight razor and a safety razor. The safety razor is a great way to get an awesome, cost-efficient, close shave with less irritation than the popular razors of today. It's also a great option if the cutthroat makes you nervous. When I feel like doing a bit of a ritual, I break out the straight razor, though. Excellent times and the smell... ah... It's a great, soothing experience.
And there is something so old-school about it's cool. And if you get your technique down, you are right. I save TONS of money when using my safety razor. I can typically get 3-4 GOOD shaves with just one blade.

Besides, nothing says "Im a MAN" like using badger fur to apply shaving soap. ;P

Last edited:

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
What!? And miss all the fun nicks, cuts and razer burn?

Part of the reason I started growing a beard in the first place was because my face is super sensitive. I never tried using a safety razor, but the regular razors were making my face feel inflamed and even more sensitive. I think the last time I shaved was probably some time around 4 or 5 years ago now back in highschool.

DanLMP

Part of the reason I started growing a beard in the first place was because my face is super sensitive. I never tried using a safety razor, but the regular razors were making my face feel inflamed and even more sensitive. I think the last time I shaved was probably some time around 4 or 5 years ago now back in highschool.

I have had several beards and styles of beards and mustaches over the years. And for every one of them it wasn't an issue of fashion, I simply got tired of shaving. :shave

Periodically now I will go without shaving for 2 or 3 days but the unshaven look doesn't look as good on us older guys as it does on someone 4ish years out of HS. :prophet

BTW, get off my lawn ya whippersnapper! ;)

Last edited: