Female entering... question about shaving

vmoon

Is it true after using an electric razor for a while makes the beard grow in all directions? Somebody told me that and I'm just not sure about it. I got my son one for Christmas and was wondering.

borrowedtime

I tend to get a lot more ingrown hairs from electrical razors than a straight shave. I have small pores however so I think it's just the hair getting nudged just enough to where it wont grow out like it's supposed to.

For me shaving in the shower has been the best result so don't take my knock on the electric as gospel.

pixelpusher

I tend to get a lot more ingrown hairs from electrical razors than a straight shave. I have small pores however so I think it's just the hair getting nudged just enough to where it wont grow out like it's supposed to.

For me shaving in the shower has been the best result so don't take my knock on the electric as gospel.

Exactly.

DanLMP

The hair on my face is not influenced in its directional growth by the method I shave.

I have used both straight razors and electric. I have had the opposite problem of yous guys. I got a lot of ingrowns from the straight razor so I switched to electric. I also use the triple head style of electric razor as opposed to the other straight line type. The straight line type of electric hurt too much.

In general I'm tired of having to shave every morning. Looking forward to just thinking the stubble away or never having to worry about it again. I hope that is in Father's plan. I DON'T want to shave for eternity and I DON'T want to grow a beard.

Last edited:

Ezelott

For me, electric razors give the sensation of ripping the hair out rather than cutting it, there was always a pinching feeling as I shaved with one. And as for a clean shave, I'd used to look like I'd been attacked with a broken bottle, so nowadays I walk around resembling the wolf man.

Len

I tend to agree with the idea that an electric razor fuzzes your facial hair in all directions..... these days I use a blade and shave upward then re lather and shave downward, then a last run is across the face......

Carl

I used to shave almost every day till the couple days old beard came into vogue. But my beard like the hair on the top of my head just goes where it wants. Have only used electric about last four years and that a beard trimmer only.

TheRedeemed

There is a photograph taken by electron microscope of a man’s single hair of his beard after it had been cut by a wet shave razor and then again after an electric shaver had given his beard a once over.

The image was quite striking! Even under the microscope the wet shaved hair was smooth and clean cut in a single slicing, the electric razor had chopped and hacked the hair so it was jagged and uneven. The two images were like the result of chopping down a tree with a fast and powerful chainsaw and a manual axe, one tree stub would be clean and even, the other would be splintered and uneven.

Perhaps this fact of the microscopic difference between the way each razor cuts the individual hairs is why people say the beard grows in a different direction after an electric shave, due to the uneven cut that you get with these types of razors.

If I can lay my hands on that image again I will post it here, was a few years ago I seen it, so may have to go and search a bit for it.

Found it! https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/178032991489962982/

I hope this link is OK to post here, it is pretty safe so should cause no offence.

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
The only electric I've ever used that gives me a good shave is a Panasonic. Love it. Dropped my blades years ago and use it every day. I'm on my second one now. First one lasted 10 years! And still works.

As to whisker direction, as near as I can tell my hairs still grow in the same direction they always did.

MePlus6

There is a photograph taken by electron microscope of a man’s single hair of his beard after it had been cut by a wet shave razor and then again after an electric shaver had given his beard a once over.

The image was quite striking! Even under the microscope the wet shaved hair was smooth and clean cut in a single slicing, the electric razor had chopped and hacked the hair so it was jagged and uneven. The two images were like the result of chopping down a tree with a fast and powerful chainsaw and a manual axe, one tree stub would be clean and even, the other would be splintered and uneven.

Perhaps this fact of the microscopic difference between the way each razor cuts the individual hairs is why people say the beard grows in a different direction after an electric shave, due to the uneven cut that you get with these types of razors.

If I can lay my hands on that image again I will post it here, was a few years ago I seen it, so may have to go and search a bit for it.

Found it! https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/178032991489962982/

I hope this link is OK to post here, it is pretty safe so should cause no offence.

That is very interesting! Thanks for sharing!

SonSeeker

That's amazing! I've always noticed that after shaving with an electric my face didn't feel as smooth
as when I used the good ole standby blade razor. My face didn't feel like it was on fire either.

bap

Is it true after using an electric razor for a while makes the beard grow in all directions? Somebody told me that and I'm just not sure about it. I got my son one for Christmas and was wondering.

I LIKE UR BOLDNESS 2 enter a male area to ask a question regarding Ur Son 2 get feedback!!!

I'm sixty-six, and have had a mustache and goatee for years. When I shave the rest of my homely puss, for the razor I use whatever disposable I can find, but the lather HAS to be a mug and brush. To me there's something incredibly civilized about it.

:eek:

I've just worn stubble for the last five years or so, and just use a trimmer. The wife likes the look, I like the lazy, no shaving part.

I tried an electric once, it felt like it was sucking my face off in a painful way, with a scary vibrating torture device.

When I do shave, I shave with a blade. And I'm not even the worlds most interesting man. :eek: