Feds Spend $1.5 million to Study Obese Lesbians

araj54

:shocked I have no words.

By Todd Starnes

The National Institutes of Health awarded a Boston hospital more than $1.5 million to figure out why nearly three-quarters of lesbians are overweight — calling the disparities a significant public health issue.
“It is now well-established that women of minority sexual orientation are disproportionately affected by the obesity epidemic, with nearly three-quarters of adult lesbians overweight or obese, compared to half of heterosexual women,” according to a description of the grant.

The taxpayer money was awarded to Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston to study the relationship between sexual orientation and obesity. The project is overseen by S. Bryn Austin.

The grant was awarded through the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. The hospital received a 2011 grant worth $778,622 and a 2012 grant worth $778,622.

According to the NIH grant, the project’s end date is in 2016.

NIH Spokesman Robert Bock told Fox News future grant payments could be impacted by sequestration.

“It is not possible to say how this or any other NIH grant will be affected in the long term beyond the 90 percent funding levels already in place,” he said in a written statement.

“Obesity is one of the most critical public health issues affecting the U.S. today,” the grant states. “Racial and socioeconomic disparities in obesity are receiving increasing attention; however, one area of disparities that is only beginning to be recognized is the striking interplay of gender and sexual orientation.”

The hospital noted that heterosexual males have nearly double the risk of obesity compared to gay males.

“Our study has high potential for public health impact not only for sexual minorities but also for heterosexuals,” the grant states.

“These disparities are of high public-health significance,” the hospital states in its grant.

Bock said obesity is a major public health problem in the United States and said the NIH had undertaken major research to understand the causes.

“The study on obesity and sexual orientation aims to understand why specific populations are disproportionately affected by obesity and how best to inform prevention and treatment strategies aimed at these populations,” he said.

Feds Spend $1.5 million to Study Obese Lesbians | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes

UCT

If nothing else, this made me laugh. Sad that our taxes are funding this, but it clearly shows why we are circling the drain economically. Pretty soon there will be a welfare program for obese lesbians too.

Momof3angels

:pound: :pound: :pound:

Shoot, they didn't need to spend all that money. It's just common sense. Since when does one woman turn to another woman and say, "Do I look fat in these pants?"

No man in their lives, no insecurity about losing said man to a younger, skinnier chick. Hence no need to exercise and eat right.

Just be sure to send that 1.5 million check my way. You can even discount it to half a million. :hat:

Meg

Actually, its probably not so funny. The most likely reason for a disproportionate percentage of obese women choosing lesbianism is that they are most likely to accept each other's flaws in ways men won't. Sad, but true, everyone wants and needs to just be loved.

Olga

They're fat because they aren't eating or exorcising right.

Give me the $1.5 million now please.

Carl

What is there to study? Do fat lesbians somehow assimilate calories differently than fat regular people? In the old testament days being fat was a sign of prosperity. They have already done studies that show that the same sex crowd make more money. Maybe that is where they put it. Did they get this money from the printing press or take it from the military? Maybe from the illegal emigrant's from Mexheco share of the medicaid program. Doesn't really matter if we live for God He will take care of us.

eddie

Plus............. By Bill O'Reilly

As you may know, President Obama does not want to cut one government program. Not one. And that irresponsible position has brought scorn from me.

Here are the facts. Right now the federal government is spending close to $10 billion a day. This year it will spend $3.6 trillion. The government is expected to take in $2.7 trillion in taxes.

So let's do the math here. $2.7 trillion leaving a deficit this year alone of $900 billion which will then be added to the nearly $17 trillion debt. The Democratic Party doesn't seem to care and liberal Americans are putting all of us in danger by their inflexibility on the spending issue.

Republican Senator Tom Coburn estimates that the fed could save almost $300 billion a year simply by cutting out waste in duplicate programs.

Now let's get very specific for you doubters out there, very specific. Please consider these facts. Am I being nice? The National Institutes of Health recently awarded $1.5 million to a Boston hospital to study why many lesbians are overweight and most gay men are not. The feds calling this a significant public health issue.

Are you kidding me? Why am I paying for that? Let the overweight lesbians go to Weight Watchers if they want to, like everybody else.

Here is another one. NASA will spend close to $1 million researching a quote, "Mars Menu"; recipes for food that could someday be served on the planet Mars. Here is a bulletin. Whoever allotted that money is already living on Mars. That's insane. I don't want to pay for it. The feds are stealing my tax dollars.

Another one, sure! The United States agency for National Development funding a four year project that will improve the economic competitiveness of Morocco. Morocco the country in North Africa. Key part of this project, training Moroccans to design pottery. The cost to we the American people $27 million.

Why can't the Moroccan government teach their own people to design pottery? I'll tell you why. Because we'll send them $27 million, that's why. And very little pottery will be designed. The money will likely be stolen.

One more? Sure. I have dozens. The National Science Foundation has allocated more than a half million dollars to create a video game called "Prom Week." This game will give players a chance to relive their high school prom. Why is a National Science Foundation doing this? Quote, "Because it will give Americans a new and powerful mode of personal expression."

Here's my personal expression: this is madness. This is why the federal government under President Obama is totally out of control. Yet the president doesn't want to cut any federal programs. Shameful.

And that's "The Memo."

Bill O'Reilly: Talking Points Memo - Bill O'Reilly: Stupid government spending

duckdogger

So does this end up building a case for a Social Security disability award? Homosexuality being a genetic predisposition after all, and then there is the compounding condition of obesity, etc.