Fear of Death

Pat

WHAT mATTERS - FEAR of DEATH​

Fear makes you a slave of the thing you fear.[1] It brings you into bondage so much so, that you make irrational decisions and believe unsubstantiated claims that support your fears. Consider these common fears. Heights, because you might fall and die. Flying, because the plane might crash, and you would die. Claustrophobia, because you are enclosed in a place you cannot escape, and you die there. Darkness, because there might be a boogeyman there to kill you. Wild animals, bugs, or snakes, because they would eat you, sting you, or poison you and you would die. COVID-19, because you might catch it and die.

Death has happened to everybody before, and unless we are raptured, it will happen to us too. We have little if any control over when it will happen. The main reason it is feared, is because people do not know what will happen to them after they die. Most of humanity base their hope of a good afterlife on the benevolence of a higher power or god, rewarding them for being good in this life.[2] When asking someone if they are going to go to heaven, most often they will say, "I hope so!” based on their belief that they are not as bad as most others. It is not a noticeably confident answer to a question that has such eternal consequences. But the Bible gives assurance of knowing where you will go after death,[3] and it is not based on how good you have been.[4] It is not based on anything you do or do not do. It is not even based on believing in God. Demons believe that.[5] Rather, it is believing what the God of all creation says about eternal life. Since heaven is the reward for those who believe what God says, then we should pay attention to what He tells us.

What does the Bible, the Word of God, tell us to believe? This. For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.[6] There are none righteous, no not one.[7] You must be born again.[8] To be born again you must believe that Jesus died to make payment for your sins, that He lay dead in a grave for three days and then rose up alive, never to die again.[9] A message so simple that a child can believe it. So profound that the smartest men in the world will not believe it. What matters is, do you believe it? If you do, you will have nothing to fear, because you will have God’s assurance of where you will spend eternity.

[1] Hebrews 2:14-15
[2] Genesis 3:4-5
[3] 1 John 5:9-13
[4] Ephesians 2:8-9; Titus 3:5
[5] James 2:19
[6] Romans 3:23
[7] Romans 3:10
[8] John 3:3
[9] 1 Corinthians 15:3-4

Wings Like Eagles

WHAT mATTERS - FEAR of DEATH​

Fear makes you a slave of the thing you fear.[1] It brings you into bondage so much so, that you make irrational decisions and believe unsubstantiated claims that support your fears. Consider these common fears. Heights, because you might fall and die. Flying, because the plane might crash, and you would die. Claustrophobia, because you are enclosed in a place you cannot escape, and you die there. Darkness, because there might be a boogeyman there to kill you. Wild animals, bugs, or snakes, because they would eat you, sting you, or poison you and you would die. COVID-19, because you might catch it and die.

Death has happened to everybody before, and unless we are raptured, it will happen to us too. We have little if any control over when it will happen. The main reason it is feared, is because people do not know what will happen to them after they die. Most of humanity base their hope of a good afterlife on the benevolence of a higher power or god, rewarding them for being good in this life.[2] When asking someone if they are going to go to heaven, most often they will say, "I hope so!” based on their belief that they are not as bad as most others. It is not a noticeably confident answer to a question that has such eternal consequences. But the Bible gives assurance of knowing where you will go after death,[3] and it is not based on how good you have been.[4] It is not based on anything you do or do not do. It is not even based on believing in God. Demons believe that.[5] Rather, it is believing what the God of all creation says about eternal life. Since heaven is the reward for those who believe what God says, then we should pay attention to what He tells us.

What does the Bible, the Word of God, tell us to believe? This. For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.[6] There are none righteous, no not one.[7] You must be born again.[8] To be born again you must believe that Jesus died to make payment for your sins, that He lay dead in a grave for three days and then rose up alive, never to die again.[9] A message so simple that a child can believe it. So profound that the smartest men in the world will not believe it. What matters is, do you believe it? If you do, you will have nothing to fear, because you will have God’s assurance of where you will spend eternity.

[1] Hebrews 2:14-15
[2] Genesis 3:4-5
[3] 1 John 5:9-13
[4] Ephesians 2:8-9; Titus 3:5
[5] James 2:19
[6] Romans 3:23
[7] Romans 3:10
[8] John 3:3
[9] 1 Corinthians 15:3-4
Yes. "Abram believed the LORD and He credited it to him as righteousness..." (Genesis 15:6) It is the righteousness of faith in the One who IS righteousness, love and justice. 1 John also gives the characteristics of those who take God at His word. Near the end of 1 John, John says that he wrote so that they could KNOW that they had eternal life (1 John 5:13--emphasis mine). I no longer fear death--as I did before I was born again.

Pat

Yes. "Abram believed the LORD and He credited it to him as righteousness..." (Genesis 15:6) It is the righteousness of faith in the One who IS righteousness, love and justice. 1 John also gives the characteristics of those who take God at His word. Near the end of 1 John, John says that he wrote so that they could KNOW that they had eternal life (1 John 5:13--emphasis mine). I no longer fear death--as I did before I was born again.
Amen brother, and as 1 John 4:18 tells us that perfect love casts out fear, we who are saved have received the perfect love of God as demonstrated in the death, burial and resurrection. Jeremiah 23:6