FDA lifts ban on blood donation for gay, bisexual men

Amethyst

Angie ... †

FDA lifts ban on blood donation for gay, bisexual men​

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has lifted a decades-long ban on sexually active gay and bisexual men from donating blood, overruling a restriction dating back to the 1980s AIDS crisis.

Updated federal guidelines were announced on Friday, marking a win for LGBTQIA+ rights organizations and experts who have long called the ban discriminatory.

The draft guidelines focus on the sexual behaviors of all people — rather than singling out gender and sexual identities — and instead measure the risk of transmitting HIV based on sexual practices alone.

“The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today announced it is proposing a change from time-based deferrals to assessing blood donor eligibility using gender-inclusive, individual risk-based questions to reduce the risk of transfusion-transmitted HIV,” the agency said Friday.

more: https://nypost.com/2023/01/27/fda-to-lift-ban-on-blood-donation-for-gay-bisexual-men-report/

TimeWarpWife

Is there even one government agency now that hasn't gone full-on woke? Sadly, as with all the insane decisions this current administration is making to be all inclusive, real people are going to pay the price for it by being put at a higher risk of possibly developing HIV and AIDS. How long until they stop testing donated blood for anything in the name of not offending anyone - except Christians, conservatives, Republicans, and patriots, which is going toward being mandatory at this point. :furious

mphsmom

God forbid I ever need a blood transfusion. I hope I never do, but pray for the chance to donate my own safe, unvaxxed blood ahead of time. If not, I pray my unvaccinated daughter will step up since we are the same blood type. I won't take my husband's blood because he took 1 vaccination.
That said, how many people are going to get sick and/or die because of this stupid move.

Dragontiger777

God forbid I ever need a blood transfusion. I hope I never do, but pray for the chance to donate my own safe, unvaxxed blood ahead of time. If not, I pray my unvaccinated daughter will step up since we are the same blood type. I won't take my husband's blood because he took 1 vaccination.
That said, how many people are going to get sick and/or die because of this stupid move.
I agreed with you forbid blood transfusion, otherwise only family member. Also beware of vitial donation not good an idea. Rare impact on them from blood transfer.

RedRx

“The draft guidelines focus on the sexual behaviors of all people — rather than singling out gender and sexual identities — and instead measure the risk of transmitting HIV based on sexual practices alone.”

That’s exactly what they did and the results found a significantly higher risk of transmission of HIV among homosexuals.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
How about for people who simply traveled to Great Britain and might have been exposed to mad cow disease. I haven't been allowed to give blood for about 40 years due to that.
Yup. About the time I had to wait after having cancer to donate again, I got DQd for the same reason. Now also DQd for being on a blood thinner.

I've done autologous donation in the past, and no problem doing it again if I could potentially need it for a planned surgery, etc., except they might not let me because on Eliquis (blood thinner).

Last edited:

GotGrace

FDA lifts ban on blood donation for gay, bisexual men​

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has lifted a decades-long ban on sexually active gay and bisexual men from donating blood, overruling a restriction dating back to the 1980s AIDS crisis.

Updated federal guidelines were announced on Friday, marking a win for LGBTQIA+ rights organizations and experts who have long called the ban discriminatory.

The draft guidelines focus on the sexual behaviors of all people — rather than singling out gender and sexual identities — and instead measure the risk of transmitting HIV based on sexual practices alone.

“The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today announced it is proposing a change from time-based deferrals to assessing blood donor eligibility using gender-inclusive, individual risk-based questions to reduce the risk of transfusion-transmitted HIV,” the agency said Friday.

more: https://nypost.com/2023/01/27/fda-to-lift-ban-on-blood-donation-for-gay-bisexual-men-report/
Somebody enlighten me. How will HIV be kept out of the people who need blood? Not only HIV but other diseases.

Kerbluey

I read up on the history of HIV/AIDS recently and contaminated blood from Haiti was part of the reason it spread so widely, and to otherwise no-risk people. I doubt they’re any safer these days even though they’ll say they are.

I have O-neg. If anyone needs blood hit me up. :D

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
How is that a "right"?
For a long time, they've had a bar code sticker system for people to let the collecting organization or facility know whether or not to use the blood so they wouldn't be ostrasized, harassed, etc. for not participating in employer blood drives, etc. Maybe people will be honest and still sticker "no human use" if they're positive for HIV, hepatitis, ebola, dengue fever, mad cow, certain parasites, etc.

:pray :pray :amen :amen

Last edited:
Back