Favorite Kitchen Gadgets

cheeky200386

I'm a huge bread lover and my stepfather gifted Mike and I a bread machine. I love that thing. I love not needing to knead the dough anymore and worry about setting it to rest. I just add ingredients and click start. Making all sorts of fancy breads has never been easier. My favorites include an Asiago 3 cheese bread and Oatmeal bread.

RonJohnSilver

Our daughter got us an air fryer for Christmas and it's my new favorite. Frozen chicken breasts, hamburger patties, pork chops...in you go and 15 minutes later, done. With vegetables in those steamed bags (5 min), add salad and fruit and whatever you choose, I can have a full dinner ready from 0 to eating in 30 minutes or less. Now, it's only 2 of us, but for us, it works. Easy squeezy. Doesn't make coffee though. Coffee maker is a necessity, like toilet paper.

pixelpusher

Nothing particularly interesting here, but my contribution:

We have a tiny little galley kitchen, so I don't get big things like air fryers or instapots to play with.

Also we just wash dishes by hand. When the dishwasher worked, all the dishes were always in it, usually dirty. So one of my favorite things is "Debbie Myers Genius Sponges". They last for months, the scrubby side doesn't wear down too fast, somehow they remain cleaner and don't get stinky like cellulose. One came as a promo inside the washing machine when we had to get a new washer, then I found more of them on Amazon. That was almost 2 years ago I guess, and I am still working through the 5-pack I bought, have 2-3 left.

It's not really a gadget, but my pizza stone. Revolutionized making pizza over putting it on baking sheets. I keep a clean paintbrush to sweep up flour. I guess that's a gadget. I cut my own custom size pizza peel from a piece of luan plywood, sanded it up and oiled it with butcher block oil.

One of my favorite items is an antique garnisher that came from my Gran's kitchen. It has a wavy accordion shape blade on it and you can use it to make homemade crinkle cut or waffle cut fries.

Cast iron skillets and my smoker-grill.

I learned a new-to-me trick for pizza dough, you take one of those screw-in bicycle hanging hooks where the hook end is more rectangular and comes wrapped in a vinyl sleeve. Chuck it in the electric drill, and you have a bona-fide dough kneading hook.

Other favorite gadget I installed last year, the high arch faucet with pull out spray head. I know, it's 2021, but that thing improved the kitchen so much!

Still rocking the same manual handheld can opener we got when we got married. A whole handle broke off it, but it still works great. Might replace that one day tho. Also have one of Gran's old timey can openers, and I used it the other day, then had to scrape the top off the tomato paste because so many metal shavings went straight in the can. I wonder how many of those I ate as a kid.

The set of waterstones. I can actually keep chef's knives sharp now.

Roll up vinyl covered metal rod dish drainer that unrolls over half the double sink. That thing increases dish drying space tremendously, and is easy to keep clean.

Wings Like Eagles

Caffeine is more of a priority than protein!
Canadians love them some coffee! That is true. When we had that big power outage in the N.E. (a number of years back now)--we were able to use a propane torch to make toast (comical, I know) but we couldn't figure out how to make coffee that way. So we set off in search of coffee--finally ended up in a town over 50 K away before we found a Timmie's whose owner had the foresight to put in a natural gas-powered generator. We put in our own natural gas-powered generator the next summer. No coffee is an emergency! (I know, I know--first world problem.--LOL)

pixelpusher

Canadians love them some coffee! That is true. When we had that big power outage in the N.E. (a number of years back now)--we were able to use a propane torch to make toast (comical, I know) but we couldn't figure out how to make coffee that way. So we set off in search of coffee--finally ended up in a town over 50 K away before we found a Timmie's whose owner had the foresight to put in a natural gas-powered generator. We put in our own natural gas-powered generator the next summer. No coffee is an emergency! (I know, I know--first world problem.--LOL)
Always carry a french press for backup in case the juice goes out. I can rearrange the bricks around the fire pit into a rocket stove. We've cooked on that after hurricanes a couple times and in an ice storm once.