Favorite Kitchen Gadgets

CountingMyBlessings

What are some of your favorite kitchen gadgets? I will start with two.

1. “The Ringer” I received one of these as a Christmas gift. It is for cleaning cast iron and looks like a dish cloth made of chain mail. I quit using soap with my cast iron years ago after watching Alton Brown do a Good Eats on cast iron and started cleaning with kosher salt, but sometimes you still need water and this thing is awesome!

2. Cordless drill powered pepper grinder - this was my husband’s idea. Great for seasoning large cuts of meat like a brisket or tri-tip or for several steaks. Unscrew the top of your hand crank grinder leaving the metal rod sticking out the top, affix the drill (“chuck-up”) to the rod. This is really fast and works great.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I finally retired my swing-a-way manual can opener after around 50 years of using it. I replaced it with it's successor, the EZ-Duz-It can opener. I'm also fond of some rubber-like disks that are designed for opening tight lids. I can no longer unscrew a lid without one of those.

And now, I'll exit the forbidden zone...

JSTyler

That horrid online place named after a river in sou'merica, owned by a globalist elite. I got another from a yard sale. And you can get them from ebay. Just search for jar opener for arthritis and or easy grip.
If we could exchange info, and I know we can't, I send you one of our spares. I'm not decrying the rules, they make perfect sense, but they do hinder a bit.

Leigh

I finally retired my swing-a-way manual can opener after around 50 years of using it. I replaced it with it's successor, the EZ-Duz-It can opener. I'm also fond of some rubber-like disks that are designed for opening tight lids. I can no longer unscrew a lid without one of those.

And now, I'll exit the forbidden zone...

John bought one of those swing-a-way manual can openers for our kitchen a few years ago but it no longer works. I have terrible trouble with can openers & don't know why. We've tried all kinds, from manual to electric and I have problems with every single kind. Fortunately Walmart's cans are mostly pop-top, so that's what I buy as much as possible.

These aren't exactly what I'd consider gadgets, but I do have a weakness for silicone utensils: scrapers, spatulas, whisks, etc. in bright pretty colors. My utensil drawer has two main sections, one for wooden/stainless steel tools, and one for all the pretty colored ones.

{I'm very color oriented. Last time I bought a car, I was more concerned with the color of it than just about anything else. Also, I can't tell you how many times I've gone to get in the wrong car in a parking lot because all I tend to notice is the color & size of it instead of the make, model, license tag, etc. This drives my husband crazy. :biggrin }

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
John bought one of those swing-a-way manual can openers for our kitchen a few years ago but it no longer works.

A Chinese company bought Swing-a-way and turned the product into the junk you bought. The original owners weren't happy with what happened to their product so they made the Ez-duz-it which will last for many decades just like their original product. Amazon sells it.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Dansk meat cleaver. Besides meat, it's awesome for fresh pineapples! :bouncies Dexter's for heavy-duty work :smile and crushing GARLIC :smile

Stainless meat/vegetable pusher tool that came with the Weber stainless skewers. Much, much better than using a fork :smile

Silicone soap holder (the cheap clear knobby kind that elevates bar soap from the dish and keeps it dry) great for a lemon SOS pad so it doesn't rust :smile :smile :smile :smile :smile
Little lemon SOS pad lasts almost a month this way :smile

Panasonic Breadmaker. Fresh homemade bread without the work :smile and pizza crust dough :smile

Last edited:

Lynn

Longing for Home
My girlfriend was telling me about some kind of bags you put potatoes in to bake them in the microwave. Anybody have these? Was thinking DH may need a set for Father's Day. He loves kitchen gadgets!!! I have already made note of The Ringer from the first post.
Yeah, I sewed a few of these years ago for different family members who really liked them. I'm fairly sure there are still patterns for them and most likely, YouTube tutorials for making them.