Family life, Hobbies, Cooking, Interests

SarahRose

Happy belated Thanksgiving, lovely ladies of RF. :)

I was not looking forward to it without Mom for the first time. It was hard but still nice to see family.

I am glad this “first” is over and done with. I know that’s not a grateful attitude. Hopefully I’ll be better about it next year — if we haven’t all been caught up by then.

Sure hope we are! :rapture

Leigh

Happy belated Thanksgiving, lovely ladies of RF. :)

I was not looking forward to it without Mom for the first time. It was hard but still nice to see family.

I am glad this “first” is over and done with. I know that’s not a grateful attitude. Hopefully I’ll be better about it next year — if we haven’t all been caught up by then.

Sure hope we are! :rapture
(((SarahRose))), I am so sorry this was your first Thanksgiving without your mother; I know that was difficult. :hug It's nice that you were able to spend time with family though. Did you do any cooking? (You may have already talked about that and I just forgot.)

A family picture from 2015 showed up on my Facebook page today and I realized it was our last Thanksgiving with my father, so that made me sad, but he's with the Lord and I can only be thrilled about that! As you say, maybe by this time next year we will be raptured - wouldn't that be amazing?!

Well it's been too quiet in this thread but I know we've all been busy this past week. John & I were only out of town for a couple of days and I've been trying to get the house decorated for Christmas since we got back.

I also went into the office today; we are closed on Mondays, but because we were also closed several days for the holiday I knew it would make my life easier tomorrow to check voicemails today while no patients were there and I'm so glad I did - there were 18 messages. It took two hours to return the calls (and the phone continued ringing), make reminder calls for tomorrow and get things set for the day.

I'm trying to place one final CyberMonday order and can't get into the website (Goggles4U for glasses), so I'm going to try one more time then get to bed. :wave

SarahRose

@Leigh thank you, and I’m sorry about your dad too. :hug Those moments of realization are hard. But yes, the thought of our loved ones enjoying the presence of the Lord is the most comforting thing.

I did do some cooking! For my family I made yams, green bean casserole and some candied kielbasa. All easy dishes so that was nice. And for my husband’s side I just did more yams! Hehe.

I’m loving your new avatar!! :tree

Wally

Choose your words carefully...
Leigh started it.... Christmas Avatars! Nice sig SarahRose. RobinB is with the Program too

I loved the scene form The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe... "Told you He was real."

Quickly Exits Ladies thread on the Express....

Last edited:

Leigh

@Leigh I love the Christmas tree. What color is your room?
Thanks Missy (and everyone). That room color is hard to describe… it’s sort of a greenish-gold. We put mostly gold & white ornaments on this tree (we have a multi-colored tree in the den) and John wants to move it back into the corner, closer to the piano, which is white. (We just got this tree two days ago - it’s prelit and can be white or multicolored, but we decided it looks better with white lights because of the piano.)

Leigh

@Leigh thank you, and I’m sorry about your dad too. :hug Those moments of realization are hard. But yes, the thought of our loved ones enjoying the presence of the Lord is the most comforting thing.

I did do some cooking! For my family I made yams, green bean casserole and some candied kielbasa. All easy dishes so that was nice. And for my husband’s side I just did more yams! Hehe.

I’m loving your new avatar!! :tree
SarahRose your food sounds delicious! :nod I’ve never had candied kielbasa… well I don’t really even eat kielbasa, but if it’s candied it MUST be good! :biggrin Green bean casserole is something we missed having this year.

Do you know we did not have one green veggie in our Thanksgiving meal?!? I really missed it too. My sister usually makes green bean bundles which are always a huge hit, but they’re a lot of work and my mom ended up telling her not to worry about it this time. Anyway we had plenty of food but it was very carb-y and I think we all pretty much felt yucky afterwards! So for next year, bring on the green beans, or salad, or something green.

SarahRose

SarahRose your food sounds delicious! :nod I’ve never had candied kielbasa… well I don’t really even eat kielbasa, but if it’s candied it MUST be good! :biggrin Green bean casserole is something we missed having this year.

Do you know we did not have one green veggie in our Thanksgiving meal?!? I really missed it too. My sister usually makes green bean bundles which are always a huge hit, but they’re a lot of work and my mom ended up telling her not to worry about it this time. Anyway we had plenty of food but it was very carb-y and I think we all pretty much felt yucky afterwards! So for next year, bring on the green beans, or salad, or something green.

It was the first time I’ve made the candied kielbasa! It was pretty good but I think next time I’ll do it on the stove instead of the crockpot. The sausage could have used some of that good, crispy texture and the sauce could have been thicker. I’m always a critic of my own food

Green bean bundles!? I don’t think I’ve see those before but they sound adorable haha

Belle of Grace

Longing for Home
That room color is hard to describe… it’s sort of a greenish-gold. We put mostly gold & white ornaments on this tree (we have a multi-colored tree in the den) and John wants to move it back into the corner, closer to the piano, which is white. (We just got this tree two days ago - it’s prelit and can be white or multicolored, but we decided it looks better with white lights because of the piano.
It's truly lovely! I like gold or silver worked into the color scheme of a room. I like the idea of a greenish gold paint. It sounds like everything is well coordinated, right down to the lights on the tree. Love it!

Aiyanna

My husband and I had our own little Thanksgiving last Saturday. He had to work, but as soon as he got off, he ran to the store and bought a bunch of stuff for our meal. I spent the morning cleaning the house and making it feel like.... I don't know... Less depressing haha. I don't have furniture or anything so what little surface we do have gets cluttered pretty fast.
We just had turkey, I made my mom's apple sausage stuffing, mashed potatoes, and we had tons of dinner rolls (we were supposed to bring the rolls to dh mom's for Thanksgiving. But since that didn't happen we had way more than we needed).

I've been listening to Christmas music for a while now. I LOVE Christmas music! And Ted usually gets full control of the TV we have in the evenings, so I watch old Christmas cartoons on my phone or tablet. I love some of the older cartoons and movies. I'm not a huge fan of Hallmark. The acting always seems..... Fake..... forced..... I don't know. It always just seems off. So I don't watch much Hallmark.

Work has been testing my faith and resilience lately. I'm dealing with some bottled up anger over things. And I'm ashamed to admit I haven't been dealing with everything in the most Godly way. I'm still waiting to hear back from the county Dispatch. They say I'm in the pre-employment process. I've passed all the assessments and polygraph and everything. Now it's just sitting and waiting and continuing to work where I'm at till I can finally turn in my notice. It's a really hard wait. I told dh last night I have more faith that Jesus will return in a couple days than I do that I'll be able to get out of this job.

Loved reading about everyone's Thanksgiving and how you all are getting ready for Christmas. I wish pictures were allowed.

Belle of Grace

Longing for Home
Loved reading about everyone's Thanksgiving and how you all are getting ready for Christmas. I wish pictures were allowed
Aiyanna, you might consider doing what some of the rest of us have been doing. We temporarily change our avatars to show a picture of something we'd like to share with the group. It's working out really well. We sort of feel like we're having a snip of a home tour now and then :smile

Kerbluey

I haven’t posted because I’ve been busy trying not to lose my mind. Haha, a little mental humor there. I enjoy humor. When I was in group therapy I wanted to call us the Nutty Buddies.

Sarah and Leigh, I’m so thankful we have eternity to look forward to with our loved ones. Beautiful tree and room, Leigh. I LOVE the colors.

I made my mother-in-law’s famous Green Christmas Tree cookies yesterday. They’re basically a shortbread but instead of vanilla extract you use almond. I’ll post the recipe later. They’re made with a cookie press and what a mess they make, but they’re sooooo good.

ChildofLight

I would love to get in on this thread but I’m so busy as trying to rebuild fences that will keep goats in. Also, still tending to my brother even though he’s in nursing home. I need at some point get back to my garden and the thing I try to avoid most- house cleaning. All I have to type on is my phone; difficult for very long posts.
Y’all have a great day, gotta get back to my fencing.

SarahRose

@Kerbluey I’m excited for that almond flavored shortbread recipe. I’m on a cookie kick

My sister’s knitted cocoon cardigan thing is almost halfway done. I try to do a row or two every night. The new metal needles make the whole process a lot smoother. It’s not a Christmas gift so I’m not stressed about getting it done thankfully.

I did end up ordering gifts for both of my sisters yesterday though and I think they’re really cool. They’re personalized embossers for books. Each have a pretty design and say “From the Library of” with their names. Got them from Etsy.

In other news I have a good feeling about my husband. I said in another thread that he said he asked Jesus into his heart a while back and I was excited about that, but shortly after he started being open to other ideas. It was really discouraging.

But recently the more we talk about things it seems like he’s coming closer to truly believing that Jesus is our true and only Savior. He has his moments of being open to it anyway.

It’s hard because his folks are really “open minded” in that they feel everything should be equally accepted, so he has that mindset a lot of the time too.

I am just going to keep praying on it. Any prayers from this wonderful group are obviously welcome.

Sorry, I know this isn’t the prayer thread but I just kind of updated with what’s going on in my life.

Carry on lovely ladies (and Wally if you show up here again :lol )

Belle of Grace

Longing for Home
In other news I have a good feeling about my husband. I said in another thread that he said he asked Jesus into his heart a while back and I was excited about that,
SarahRose, this isn't the gospel. If perhaps you and he could read the gospel of John, the most evangelistic book of the New Testament, your dh would likely understand the gospel message and with the leading of the Holy Spirit could be saved. When I talk to someone about salvation, I like to know what they're trusting in, relying on for eternal life. The gospel message points out the fact that all people are sinners and can do nothing to save themselves from the penalty of their sin. Jesus came to earth for the express purpose of dying for all of us. He shed His blood on the cross which was foreshadowed in the Old Testament sacrifices. He was buried and rose again. Without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sin. People nowadays do not see the shedding of Jesus' blood as a gospel issue. Today's modern version often does not say anything about the cross. John 3:16 is a wonderful verse and used to be everyone's favorite one to memorize.

Leigh

Good morning, reading posts and drinking my coffee while trying to wake up! Have to get ready for church in a minute. What’s everyone doing this weekend?

Our long-anticipated Christmas cantata is tonight and tomorrow. We’ve put in many hours of extra practice over the past few days and I think we’re ready. I wish my mother could come but she already had something scheduled, but I think both my boys and their girlfriends are attending tonight.

Please say a prayer for my older son’s precious girlfriend, Hannah, who doesn't yet know the Lord. The program will be very evangelical. We had a time of prayer and fasting yesterday after dress rehearsal, and we spread out across the sanctuary praying for those who will be attending. Hannah knows the gospel, but has not “taken the plunge.” We all love her and want so much to see her trust Jesus for salvation. :pray