Family life, Hobbies, Cooking, Interests

Belle of Grace

Longing for Home
For the last two years, I've been mentoring some women who are younger than I am. Last week we had a lesson on Rosh Hashanah and some of us brought a few of the foods typically served on this occasion. We discussed the symbolism of some of these foods. We discussed the fact that Jesus is the only hope that any of us have, and the good deeds represented by the seeds of a pomegranate can not give us eternal life. Only faith in Christ's finished work on our behalf gives us the only hope of eternal life. One of the women found a shofar blowing online so that we could hear the bold sound that the Jewish people use in many of their celebrations. It was truly an enjoyable time together with the sweet ladies who attend these gatherings.

Leigh

Belle of Grace, thank you so much for starting this thread! It has been on my mind to do since last week but I never took time to make myself do it. (Takes me forever to type some posts because I change things so many times!) Anyway, I will be back in here later today Lord willing to do some chatting!

I love your description of your Rosh Hashanah lesson. I have never done a study on that topic and think that’s an amazing way to learn about it and remember!

Leigh

Leigh and I thought it would be enjoyable to have a thread open where we can post descriptions of daily life, jobs that some of us have, family stories, hobbies, or anything else that we might find as an interesting topic for discussion.
You really covered all the bases for discussion on this thread! :nod

[I've said this before in other threads but will start off with] - Currently I work a couple of days per week in a small optometry practice, but was a stay-at-home wife & homeschooling mother for many years.

I love homemaking... trying to keep things clean, cozy and uncluttered (my biggest challenge!). Cooking is not my very most favorite thing (maybe because it messes up the clean kitchen :D), but healthy eating is important so sometimes I make the effort. (That sounds terrible. Obviously when my boys were home of course I cooked then.) My husband enjoys cooking now when he's feeling like it, or even when he's not - he fixes & eats a lot of chicken and noodles since it's easily digestible.

Belle of Grace, thanks for the Mary's Nest website; looking forward to trying out some of her recipes and methods for natural living. I also need to investigate the homemade kefir that you mentioned last week.

I'm interested to hear more about your healthy farm life, and anything about anybody else who wants to chat! :)

athenasius

this is a great idea. I'm Margery, married to George who didn't want to laugh in the picture I took last Christmas, but I told a joke, and that is him struggling with a laugh as I took a selfie.

I was an RN, then a mother to our son, then our daughter and back to nursing when they went to school. Then when they were in grade 8 and 6 I started to to prepare to homeschool, which I did for grade 9-12 for our son and grade 7-12 for our daughter. When that was over my health broke down with a series of things. Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, some female issues and some other stuff -- recurring diverticulitis attacks, Irritable Bowel and chronic asthma that gradually all morphed into Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I couldn't go back to work, I could barely manage to keep our small house clean and cook meals. By God's grace I kept putting one foot in front of the other and trusting Him for the outcome. In the process I learned to lean on Him more and me less.

I finally had my thyroid out but Hashimotos is an underlying auto immune disorder that attacks the thyroid because it's attacking the body. If you have one auto immune disorder you usually have several others and I'm no different. It's all about management of each disease, and auto immune problems as a whole, avoiding triggers, managing flares, getting help fast when things are spiralling downhill.

I love a challenge, and I've always been a bit of a minimalist, so as time went by and I developed ideas and ways to cope, I got rid of more and more stuff. When the kids married, after a couple of years we moved into this apartment we are in now. It became a lot of fun working on new ways to make life work.

That's how I developed my 5&5 menu system back in homeschooling days. I hated menu planning till a homeschool buddy of mine, Tina who is near and dear to me to this day told me to make a list of 5 possible meals, and every morning pick one, 2 nights off for leftovers or take out. I never looked back.

It's hard for me to see where the coping skills end and the hobbies begin. For example I do Project 333 clothing challenge every season for fun but also because it makes it easy to get dressed every day. Which is sometimes hard. I often have a level of fatigue that means I have to schedule my showers on alternate days and not do much else on a shower day. But having a clothing capsule challenge is fun and keeps me going. Same with skincare and makeup. I make a game of it-- I try and streamline it as much as possible. Which means I get it done, but I have fun at the same time.

I love prophecy (as we all do here) so my book collection is heavy on that subject, and I do enjoy reading and studying the Bible. George loves to travel, particularly cruising so I pack my kindle full of books and go along for the ride. Some places I love, like Alaska, others I tolerate because George enjoys them but I'm blessed to be able to do that still. Sometimes especially at the beginning of a trip it's a little dicey with my health but things settle down and God takes care of me.

cheeky200386

this is a great idea. I'm Margery, married to George who didn't want to laugh in the picture I took last Christmas, but I told a joke, and that is him struggling with a laugh as I took a selfie.

I was an RN, then a mother to our son, then our daughter and back to nursing when they went to school. Then when they were in grade 8 and 6 I started to to prepare to homeschool, which I did for grade 9-12 for our son and grade 7-12 for our daughter. When that was over my health broke down with a series of things. Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, some female issues and some other stuff -- recurring diverticulitis attacks, Irritable Bowel and chronic asthma that gradually all morphed into Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I couldn't go back to work, I could barely manage to keep our small house clean and cook meals. By God's grace I kept putting one foot in front of the other and trusting Him for the outcome. In the process I learned to lean on Him more and me less.

I finally had my thyroid out but Hashimotos is an underlying auto immune disorder that attacks the thyroid because it's attacking the body. If you have one auto immune disorder you usually have several others and I'm no different. It's all about management of each disease, and auto immune problems as a whole, avoiding triggers, managing flares, getting help fast when things are spiralling downhill.

I love a challenge, and I've always been a bit of a minimalist, so as time went by and I developed ideas and ways to cope, I got rid of more and more stuff. When the kids married, after a couple of years we moved into this apartment we are in now. It became a lot of fun working on new ways to make life work.

That's how I developed my 5&5 menu system back in homeschooling days. I hated menu planning till a homeschool buddy of mine, Tina who is near and dear to me to this day told me to make a list of 5 possible meals, and every morning pick one, 2 nights off for leftovers or take out. I never looked back.

It's hard for me to see where the coping skills end and the hobbies begin. For example I do Project 333 clothing challenge every season for fun but also because it makes it easy to get dressed every day. Which is sometimes hard. I often have a level of fatigue that means I have to schedule my showers on alternate days and not do much else on a shower day. But having a clothing capsule challenge is fun and keeps me going. Same with skincare and makeup. I make a game of it-- I try and streamline it as much as possible. Which means I get it done, but I have fun at the same time.

I love prophecy (as we all do here) so my book collection is heavy on that subject, and I do enjoy reading and studying the Bible. George loves to travel, particularly cruising so I pack my kindle full of books and go along for the ride. Some places I love, like Alaska, others I tolerate because George enjoys them but I'm blessed to be able to do that still. Sometimes especially at the beginning of a trip it's a little dicey with my health but things settle down and God takes care of me.
Wow this was really cool getting to know more about you. You are definitely one tough cookie. I thank God for you and all the ways you counsel us ladies on here.

cheeky200386

My name is Christine and I'm married to Mike. We have a 19 month old son Peter and another one on the way in May 2023. We recently moved to Florida in August from MA. We're both already bored with FL and Mike is realizing how much we enjoy the seasons. Mike is realizing he's done with Law Enforcement all together and is hoping to change careers and move us up to the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia.

I work part-time as a Christian mental health counselor out of our apartment. I'm hoping to homeschool the kids when they are school age. We both love going on long drives in the woods and country, going Fall leaf peeping, nature trail walks, kayaking, hiking, and biking. Sadly, things you can't really do in Florida at all nor all year round. We also love visiting local farm stands to buy local fruits and dairy products.

I love playing with make-up, reading, reading and more reading. I have too many books. I love studying Bible Apologetics and Prophecy so my books are usually on one of those themes. I enjoy baking bread and making mine or Mike's favorite dishes from scratch. I don't love cooking overall but it can be fun at times. Mike and I also love history so visiting historical places is something we love to do. I also enjoy decorating and making our home feel cozy, especially during Thanksgiving and Christmas.

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
often have a level of fatigue that means I have to schedule my showers on alternate days and not do much else
I thought I was the only person in the world who had to do this.

I am Missy. I have a husband, 1 living daughter and 3 grandchildren that I adore.

I also worked as an RN and loved it until Rheumatoid Arthritis struck and I had to retire. I think it's part of God's plan to teach me lessons that I would have not learned, had my health continued.

I love working in flower beds and cleaning my house. My mantra is More is More and Less is a Bore. I don't love to cook, but love to eat.

Over the past years my RA has worsened and fatigue is a huge problem. I can only work for very short periods of time and spend hours resting. I enjoy reading and some TV shows. Often I spend the entire day on the couch. But even so, I never get bored. It gives me time to watch many episodes of Dr Andy Woods.

Belle of Grace

Longing for Home
Often I spend the entire day on the couch. But even so, I never get bored. It gives me time to watch many episodes of Dr. Andy Woods.
Yay! I have learned so much about God's Word from Andy Woods. My dh & I met him at a conference in MN several years ago. He's a very gracious humble man who is easy to talk to. He's been a blessing to me for many years. I thank God for leading me to his sound teaching.

Kerbluey

I love this idea. It’s nice to get to know y’all.

Regarding inflammation, ladies, May I suggest working up to large doses of turmeric? It put my crohns into remission. Of course, I quit then and last week had an attack. Because I’m just not sensible.

I‘m Christy. I’m 55. Hubby and I are about to have our 32nd wedding anniversary. I too struggle with fatigue like Margery and Missy. Housework consists of 10 minutes of effort followed by 20 of rest. I have a certain amount of available energy “units” per day so have to ration them out as I refuse to use them all up on housework. Fun is important to me. I love to craft. I enjoy cross stitch, knitting, Tunisian crochet, and art. I love true crime, so a great day is doing a craft with Dateline playing on tv. I also enjoy listening to Andy Woods while crafting. Hubby is a crafter too, so we enjoy listening to Andy while crafting together. I used to be a voracious reader, but I am not anymore. :( I took up sewing a couple years ago as I’m hard to fit plus love linen clothing, and I’ve found I love it.

We’ve lived in Florida and Montana and now Missouri. I miss the salt water terribly. It really does get in your blood. But I love the change of seasons here. Autumn is arriving, my favorite time of year.

Margery, can you tell me more about this cooking and meal planning thing? You have all the ingredients for these 5 meals on hand?

athenasius

Margery, can you tell me more about this cooking and meal planning thing? You have all the ingredients for these 5 meals on hand?
Yup pretty much. Ok here's how I do this.

Sunday afternoon I look at the fridge and see what I have to order for our Tuesday online grocery pickup. We make our order right after that -- usually top ups of orange juice, milk, eggs, cheese, yogurt plus some apples and other fruit as needed for the week.
I have a notepad where I keep a running list of stuff I know we need soon. add that in
I pick out 5 main veggies (and check that I'm ok on onions & potatoes)
Enter the order, and get a pickup slot for Tuesday morning. George picks it up.

The 5 & 5 menu:
I figure on 5 frozen meats/poultry/fish and 5 main veggies for 5 dinners. The remaining 2 nights are leftovers usually or takeout/meals out. Each morning pick whatever meat I feel like and pull it out to thaw by 9am. I have about 4 or 5 EASY meals I can make with each of my meat categories. I'll pick what I'm going to do as I pull the meat out. If I'm really feeling bad I default to sprinkling the meat with something and baking on foil at 400.

I have a cheat sheet on my iphone with those 4-5 easy meals with each meat. I can share it, but it's a just a list of our family favourites -- I have a winter one and a summer one to remind me of the options I can make with that meat. NONE ARE COMPLICATED

I simplified all my meals to work with the limited number of pantry items I want to stock on my shelves at home.

How I think of it when I write out my 5&5menu: (fits on a Post it Note!!!)

Sunday dinner (something big enough for company with leftovers for a tired Monday night after changing sheets and towels and doing the main laundry)
Fish dinner because the dr said so for George who hates fish. I need potatoes for ballast or the fish leaves us hungry.
3 more meals --1 chicken dinner, 1 pork of some sort and 1 wild card of anything else I want that week. more beef, pork or chicken or an Impossible Quiche that makes it's own "crust" sort of but tastes great.

Keeping meat on hand
When we make a Costco run I do a frozen meat inventory. I don't have a big freezer, it's the bottom drawer of my fridge type. I repack into ziplock freezer bags and freeze flat, then store like file folders to save space.

I usually have in my freezer:

Beef:
lean ground in 1-1/2 lb packs or so, strip loin steaks in packs of 2, and a Sunday roast or pot roast. A tube of frozen burgers, Costco's best.
Pork: I buy a loin, half freeze it so it's easy to cut and I cut a bunch of nice chops-- 4 per pack plus the not so good for chops end becomes a pork loin roast. I often buy a couple of racks of ribs when they go on special and cook 1 for the both of us.
I buy Johnsonville sausages, the bratwursts, mild Italian and honey garlics. I keep 10 sausages of each type and a meal is 10 because I like leftovers. I cook once, eat 2 or 3 times. Sometimes I buy ground pork for meatloaf mixture (1/3 to 1/2 pork, the rest beef).
I cut up a Costco pack of bacon and freeze in useable amounts.

Chicken: I buy bone in skin on thighs. A costco pack equals 2 meal packs that I freeze flat in the large ziplock freezer bags. Rarely I will buy chicken breast and that is for fajitas. Preference.
Fish: I keep frozen white fish from Costco, usually haddock in there and a tube of Salmon patties from Costco.

I can't eat corn or peas or green beans so frozen veg doesn't take up a lot of space. I have an emergency pack of frozen red pepper strips for fajitas. I have frozen blueberries for topping cereal or yogurt.

I keep frozen grated cheese for things like Cheeseburger Pie or Impossible Quiche or topping off spaghetti or making nachos. I have gluten free bread, and George's bagels plus extra butter in there besides the meat.
________

Fridge on hand: Lemon juice, Sauerkraut, Mayonnaise, George's peanut butter, my almond butter, strawberry jam, 2 salad dressings we like, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, Hot sauce. Mustard Ketchup

Often Pickles and Pickled Artichokes live there too.

I keep milk, eggs, butter and yogurt along with blocks of Costco Cheddar cheese, Swiss cheese and assorted cold cuts, salamis, pepperonis and Kielbasa sausage which is our lunches oftentimes. Orange juice. An open jar of salsa sometimes if we are on a nachos roll.
_________

Pantry:

Gluten free bread crumbs-- when it runs out I'm seriously thinking to just use Cornflake crumbs
Cornflake crumbs
Corn starch

Gluten free Bisquick which doubles as self rising gluten free flour as it doesn't have the shortening in it that regular Bisquick does

Gluten free pasta (spaghetti, spirals) Barilla brand
a few jars of good spaghetti sauce we like,
Tins of San Marzano peeled Italian tomatoes and tomato paste for making my own sauce.

Instant mashed potatoes
Rice
Buckwheat Kasha-- I'm married to a Russian, it's a Russian staple.

Oats
Cornflakes
Cheerios

A bag of nacho chips
I keep a jar of salsa in the pantry. When opened, it goes in the fridge. When we get a new bag of chips (it's actually rare) I buy another jar of salsa.

a bag of craisins, a bag of prunes and a few of those applesauce cups.

Coffee grounds, filters and tea bags. I also have powdered coffee in the jars for emergency use of beefing up a weak pot.

Tinned Tuna
Tinned Salmon

Olive oil, coconut oil, PAM spray
Baking soda (I don't bake anymore so I don't keep baking powder on hand.)
White vinegar
Honey

a few packs of Jello and Jello pudding mix plus 1 gluten free cake mix for emergency desserts if company comes over. Plus tinned fruit to go in the Jello.

My spice shelf: (I substitute one of these for any herb I don't have on hand)
Sugar, salt, pepper corns and a pepper mill,
Mrs Dash herb and garlic, Lawry's seasoned salt and Montreal Steak Spice
Bay leaves, Thyme, Oregano, Chili, Curry, Garlic granules,
Cinnamon-- I make cinnamon sugar for George's oatmeal in the winter mostly.
Fajita mix, Taco seasoning.

I also have a few tins of soup, more fruit and tinned stews in the emergency shelf along with
Spam (I like it)
more Tinned Tuna
more Tinned Salmon
Tinned pork and beans for George who likes the stuff.

My emergency shelves rotate often as I only keep stuff we use anyway. Just a bit extra.

Stove Top Stuffing, Cranberry jelly and a couple of boxes of Scalloped Potatoes.

Everything I make is adapted to the above pantry supplies. I substitute spices etc to make it work because I have a small kitchen, and my pantry is 2 narrow IKEA Billy bookshelves--the tall ones, with doors to hide the stuff inside and that holds our stash of extra kleenex too.

When I do try something new I look carefully to see if it calls for stuff I don't keep or stuff I don't feel I can substitute in.

Last edited:

athenasius

Here's my fall winter of 22 cheat sheet on my iphone:

Sunday dinners that stretch to company and give me Monday leftovers:
1: Roast beef
2: Pot Roast
3: Beef Steaks
4: Lamb roast or chops

Ground Beef:
Meatloaf
Cheeseburger Pie (bisquick recipe)
Frozen beef patties to fry. OR Spaghetti
Ground beef Tacos or nachos or chili

Chicken:
Cornflake chicken recipe on the box.
Lawry's seasoned salt and bake
Lemon, olive oil and potatoes and chicken with oregano
Honey mustard chicken (honey, mustard and a pinch of curry) -

Pork:
Chops-- mother in law's with Ketchup diced onion, lemon juice, sugar and granulated garlic
Schnitzel, pound the daylights out of the chops, season, then dredge in gluten free bisquick and fry
Italian Sausages with pepper strips and onions or Bratwursts with sauerkraut and mashed potatoes
Ribs- bake on foil

Fish:
Frozen Salmon patties from Costco
Salmon fillets with Mrs Dash herb and garlic, butter and lemon on rice
White fish fillets with cornflake crumbs and butter topping and seasonings. or mayo and crumbs and seasonings. frozen fries
Tuna Melts (tuna, mayo, frozen grated cheese and some diced onion)

other:
Fajitas: beef, chicken or pork cut in strips with mix plus onion and bell pepper. Serve with plain greek yogurt instead of sour cream.
Stroganoff: slice a semi frozen flank steak, fry with mushrooms and onions, finish with sour cream.
Quiche with leftover ham or deli meats or bacon. cheese, eggs, onion and gluten free Bisquick.
Hot dogs or Smokies.
Ham. Boxed Scallop Potatoes

My summer one is a bit different-- I use more ham then and BBQ stuff. I rely on quick cooking stuff that doesn't heat the kitchen up

Final Note
I do this 5 meals, pick one thing and it works for me because I could never stand being locked into an overly rigid plan that has me doing spaghetti on Tuesday. I might prefer chops or chicken.

The reason it works is because it is so very flexible. I wake up and choose whichever works for me that day, based on what we want to eat and what I have time and energy to cook.

I really hate the overly planned schedule of meals that most menu plans rely on.

I go a week at a time and fly by the seat of my pants. If I want a new recipe-- I do it when I want. It'll slot in just fine with whatever list of meats I'm doing that week. If I need extra ingredients I substitute. If all else fails, I could go to the store but that is almost never.

If I have meals I didn't make in the last week because we went out a few times more than usual, or I ended up having more leftover meals than usual then I roll those over into the new week as I do the fridge inventory so I use up whatever I needed in produce for that meal. If the produce is used up, the meat just sits in the freezer for next time.

Final final note:
I prep my veggie that I pick on early in the day preferably when I pull that meat out to thaw at 9 am. (decide on dinner by 9 is my rule). That way it's all ready to go when I need to get supper ready. I have energy in the morning. I DON'T by supper time. Prep ahead, and thank yourself later.

I cook DOUBLE the normal amount of veggies -- so usually a svg is 1/2 cup of veg, well I do 1 cup to get more veggies into us. But I don't fiddle around making 2 veggies for variety, I keep it simple. 1 cup cooked veggie or 2 cups salad greens is my veggie amount per meal.

I don't usually do starches --we eat fairly low carb but in the case of fish I plan on some potatoes so we aren't hungry. If George feels he needs more with the other dinners, I can always fix some rice, potatoes, instant mashed potatoes, pasta or bread. I often ask him about half an hour before dinner to give me time to put rice or potatoes on.

Last edited:

athenasius

Ugh....cooking is my least favorite chore. I am trying to learn to like it.

Seems like I have cooked everything that I know how to a million times already. I am trying some Pinterest recipes that are good.
Pinterest is an amazing site! I look for lots of ideas there, and usually find something that I can use.
I agree!

When I'm in the mood to try something different I go there and use their search engine to narrow it down. It's the best way for me to try new stuff because of the rating system and the ease of a lot of them. Real recipes for real people without a lot of time and energy to hunt down 68 different ingredients and spices. A quick glance tells me if I can approximate it with what's on hand.

That's how I found a lot of my gluten free Bisquick recipes. Cheeseburger Pie, Impossible pies (my pumpkin pie now) and Impossible Quiche. 2 years ago I found the easiest 3 ingredient Christmas cake there. 1 kg mixed fruit, 2 cups chocolate milk and 2 cups self rising flour-- I used gluten free Bisquick again. I do toss a little cinnamon in. I add a bit of brandy on top after it comes out of the oven and wrap it to age a little but it's great.

My new meatloaf recipe involves a box of Stove Top Stuffing, a lb and a half of ground beef, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup water and 1/3 cup ketchup. It's not gluten free but for the few times I serve it, I can put up with the itching and other gluten problems. It blew my old favourite out of the water.

I've been enjoying microwave poached eggs in a mug lately. Although I have exploded a few so my microwave is cleaner than ever because I'm cleaning up a mess every few days. :lol

Pinterest is FUN!

Kerbluey

Thanks, Margery! I’ll read over your response later as I’m tired right now. I despise cooking and would love to simplify it while keeping meals in the house. I feel I’m always trying to catch up. That meatloaf recipe sounds great. I’m going to try it.

Belle of Grace

Longing for Home
...cooking is my least favorite chore. I am trying to learn to like it. . . .
I am trying some Pinterest recipes that are good.
Joy, many years ago, I felt the same way about cooking. (This is going to sound like a strange way to connect to the idea of cooking) When my dh purchased our first herd of cattle, he read everything he could find on organic cattle farming. So much of what he was reading regarding the health of the herd, the quality of their meat, it was easy to see that if he was so concerned about the pasture grasses, natural deworming, etc., that the same principles applied to caring about our own nutrients in food. Little by little, I began to cook more foods from scratch, using a lot of recipes that I watched Martha Stewart prepare on her TV program. My dh was always complimenting my efforts (deserved or otherwise). The more familiar I became with healthy cooking, the better I enjoyed it. It was more of a challenge, I guess, since in previous years, I was not mindful enough of nutrition as much as flavor and what everyone 'liked.'
Once the internet became more accessible to us, I enjoyed finding new recipes & preparing certain foods from other cultures. I love Indian, Italian, Greek foods, and varying a menu to include a wider range of cultures has helped me to think of cooking almost like a hobby.

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
love Indian, Italian, Greek foods, and varying a menu to include a wider range of cultures has helped me to think of cooking almost like a hobby.
My daughter is an adventurous cook like you!!

I like to use a wax warmer with scented wax every day. My favorite scents are fall/winter smells...apples, citrus, chestnuts, blue berry muffins..etc.

Just finished reading Kinfolk by Pearl Buck and will start Peony by her. I enjoy Asian fiction. In her books and others that I have read, in years past people worked so hard, but especially the women. And the kids worked hard also.

Kerbluey

I love wax warmers. I lean towards flowery wax though I love pine or fir scents.

Yesterday I didn’t do much except cross stitch all day. I’m trying to finish up a large pattern so I can start another with a poem about autumn I love.

Come, said the wind, to the leaves one day,
Come o’er the meadows and we will play,
Put on your dresses scarlet and gold,
For summer is gone and the days grow cold.

I also made an easy recipe I call Crack Fish, an old weight watchers recipe. It’s now taken over the keto world using chicken. The cheese/Mayo mix forms a crust. This is so quick and easy to make and so tasty.

Crack Fish
1-1/2 pounds fish
mayo and grated cheese, equal parts
anything else you want to add like garlic, green onions, spices, etc.

Rinse and dry fish. Mix enough of your Mayo/cheese/spices mix to spread over fish. Bake at 350 for about 25 mintues.