Face Creams Disappearing Off the Shelves

Leigh

Baby oil or straight up mineral oil or it's close cousin Vaseline are great for skin care as long as you avoid the fragranced baby oils. Apply them to damp skin after showering or washing to stop what is called "trans epidermal water loss" which is fancy for your skin drying out like the Sahara on a hot sunny day.

It stops water evaporating out of your skin, trapping it inside which is great when you struggle with dry skin but if you tend to break out easily, or have an ongoing fungal infection again, it might not be your friend. When fungus is among us, it's best to avoid trapping moisture in the area and go for either coconut oil, or tea tree oil if you must use an oil.
Great post Athenasius (the entire thing, not just the part I copied)! :thumbup

I watch Dr. Dray's dermatology channel on YT and she's a big advocate of petrolatum products. Between her channel and The Budget Dermatologist channel, I've really been upping my skin care game! :nod

I realize it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, but it's fun trying out a few new products & seeing what kind of changes they make in my skin... hopefully positive! :D

GotGrace

The problem with Amazon is that their prime has gone up from $119.00 to 139.00 a year. I was going to get prime but when they increased the price I said "FORGET IT!". Bezos owns Amazon and I read that he is worth 200 billion dollars. He is the weathiest person on this earth. I also read that Amazon employees make minimum wage. I think Bezos is one of the persons we need to watch closely during these last end time days.
I don’t order much from Amazon so taking out the Prime is not worth it for me.
My favorite moisturizer went from $45 to $60 and now there is a shortage of it. It’s becoming more and more difficult to look gorgeous:laugh:laugh:laugh.

athenasius

Great post Athenasius (the entire thing, not just the part I copied)! :thumbup

I watch Dr. Dray's dermatology channel on YT and she's a big advocate of petrolatum products. Between her channel and The Budget Dermatologist channel, I've really been upping my skin care game! :nod

I realize it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, but it's fun trying out a few new products & seeing what kind of changes they make in my skin... hopefully positive! :D
I watch her fairly regularly too, and a couple of other derms. Dr Davin Lim in Australia and Dr Sam Bunting in Britain. Very helpful sorting out the truth from the hype. Lab Muffin Beauty Science is another great channel exploring the world of skin care with her chemistry PhD. I've watched a few others, but these ones stand out. Not everything works, we are all different, but I've found some good useful tips from each of these.

athenasius

I don’t order much from Amazon so taking out the Prime is not worth it for me.
My favorite moisturizer went from $45 to $60 and now there is a shortage of it. It’s becoming more and more difficult to look gorgeous:laugh:laugh:laugh.
You gorgeous thing you! Love you Grace, and your sense of humour! Which one do you love?

The last 6 months I've been faceplanted into a jar of Charlotte Tilbury Magic Cream and that is one spendy wench there. Her stuff is pricey, and sadly it works.

alisani

You're lucky -- our Merle Norman in the mall here shut it's doors and I think we have to go mail order if we want their stuff. They've always had some very good quality items.
Same here, they left many years ago. I had them do my makeup for my wedding. I'm very pale and it's easy to make me look like a dimestore floozy but they did a perfect job. Just a very natural look.

alisani

Don't bother with Le Mer. My Mom bought a jar of that, and it had no lasting effects. Not only that, but the main ingredient is basically Vaseline. That is criminal for that price.
Marilyn Monroe used to use Vaseline.
Vaseline is very versatile. I keep large jars on hand always. I use it on my feet to keep them soft. I use it on chapped lips. I use it with aloe on scratches and light burns. It takes my makeup off. I even use it on my doggies' paws.

athenasius

Vaseline is very versatile. I keep large jars on hand always. I use it on my feet to keep them soft. I use it on chapped lips. I use it with aloe on scratches and light burns. It takes my makeup off. I even use it on my doggies' paws.
It's also the main ingredient in Elizabeth Arden's 8 cream that all the models swear by in the magazines. I've heard that Nivea is a very close dupe for La Mer. The lanolin in Nivea makes me itch though so it's another reason to never touch La Mer. They both have it.

I'm a BIG fan of Vaseline and I always have a tube around for lips, cuticles and wintertime when slathering a layer on TOP of my night cream keeps me from waking up with dry skin. Can't live without it. And yes to the feet as well. I could probably live with that as my one and only moisturizer if I had to. In nursing I used to use it on my wet skin after hand washing, then dry with a paper towel so my hands wouldn't crack and bleed under the massive amount of handwashing nursing requires.

I was doing a post elsewhere (I write on the subject of keeping life simplified and minimalist to cope with living with chronic fatigue and other illness which I won't share here, it's against the rules) about my simple shower routine this morning.

I keep a jug of Head & Shoulders, and a bar of Neolia plain olive oil soap both from Costco in my shower. That is it. I'm allergic to most other shampoos and conditioners as well as nearly ALL liquid soaps I've tried.

I have an electric foot file by Amope because I can't stand long and it's fast and keeps my feet nice, a sqeegee on a hook to keep the water spots from drying on and a razor all up on the top rail of the shower. George uses a daily shower spray that I put just outside the shower for him. It keeps it easy to clean.

But while I was writing, I was also thinking about the save and splurge trade offs that we all do. I was actually thinking about this thread.

Save on a bunch of basics so we can splurge on a couple of spendy things that bring joy.

I mix up my all purpose spray cleaner from a big jug of ZEP concentrate that I dilute with water into spray bottles all from Home Depot.

Dollar store Windex and Comet and Costco paper towels round out the cleaners. A jug of daily shower spray from Walmart. Microfibre cloths from the dollar store.

Our laundry runs on Costco detergent and Oxi powder plus an Oxi Stain stick. Dishes are Walmart Dawn dish liquid and Costco dishwasher detergent. I have a specialty glass cooktop cleaner cream but otherwise I don't buy other cleaners. It's basic, cheap and it works.

My clothing is similar. I splurge on my purses, and I buy good shoes because they look better and outlast the cheaper ones. I spend on my cardigans because I like wool in the winter and a cotton in the summer and the good kind look better and last longer. So same reason. But my T-shirts, pants, socks, and undies are as cheap as I can find them, and I replace them frequently when they start to look tired.

I deeply enjoy my splurge items. And for now (who knows what tomorrow will bring) we can afford some splurge items. But if I have to pull in my horns I will do it in a heartbeat. Nothing is worth being in debt. Not even Charlotte!

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
The last 6 months I've been faceplanted into a jar of Charlotte Tilbury Magic Cream and that is one spendy wench there. Her stuff is pricey, and sadly it works.

:typing "Charlotte Tilbury Magic Cream"

!!!$$$ :yikes $$$!!!

The big size is a much better deal. Do autoship and save 15%, use the free shipping, and the big size qualifies you for free gifts enticements buy more good spendy stuff :lol :eek